Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you with reservations/orders who do not live in Sydney or Melbourne I would like to alert you to a potential issue.

Apparently, even though the website is providing pricing and taking orders from all states and territories there is no commitment from Tesla to deliver to any location outside of Sydney or Melbourne.

This issue had been mentioned briefly in an earlier post by a user located in the Sunshine Coast but it did not seem to be picked up as the significant issue that it now appears that it is.

Guys a few comments questions from me (rare poster I know, but frequent reader).

First, a comment on LCT. I understand from talking to my financial adviser (some years ago now) that it was introduced as the wealthy were using favourable FBT rates on car salary packaging to reduce tax. Without going into detail, your aggregate car costs for the year (including lease, fuel, servicing, rego, insurance etc) could be both GST exempt and (essentially) deducted from your salary, with the FBT rate applied as opposed to your highest marginal tax rate. Now this used to be really beneficial, because the FBT rate if you did more than 40K km per year was only 7% - you might recall people jamming the CBD in March so they hit this target! Anyway, as I understand it this was the reason LCT was brought in, so that the "normal" $40K lease car wasn't hit but those who were buying exe cars to save on tax would pay. HOWEVER! This has all changed, and you can no longer get the 7% FBT rate (I think it is 20%) and in many cases due to the calculations there is not much to be gained from salary packaging a car anymore. Point being, if indeed that was the reason LCT was introduced (which I believe) - why did they not remove it when they removed the favourable FBT rates?

Second, a question. I understand that without the Tech Package there is still Google Maps, including route finding but not turn-by-turn spoken (and only available within cell coverage). Will this function be available *whilst driving* when in Australia, or will it be turned off like the browser and only available when stopped?

Third, another question. Now that ordering is available, how does the reservation numbering system work? If someone with a "later" reservation number than me orders before me, does that mean they jump my position, as such? In other words, do I now need to rush to put my order through, per-se? Even though pricing is now out, I thought they would be contacting us when they were actually in a position to make our cars (which for me, reservation number 198, I'm not expecting for a few months at least). However, when I log in it no longer shows my reservation number which leads me to question the process.

Thanks guys, this is an exciting time!!! I look forward to a group photo at Nobbies.

Faster charging from high powered non superchargers. A. It of future proofing.

Wasn't it said earlier on that twin charger owners would get a free 80A HPWC when they release as well? Or something along those lines?
Dual chargers if you have 3 phase. They are supplying temporary 40amp EVSE's which will be swapped for 32amp 3 phase when available at no extra charge to dual charger people. ( or an 80amp single phase, if you can get that much! Not recommended!)

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a clear explanation for those of us that haven't been on the forums since day 1 about the home charging options? I only have a standard power point in my garage, but I understand some people are talking about installing higher current sockets, etc?
Depends how technical you are.. Easiest might be if you contact Cary your local Tesla rep. He should be able to explain. Otherwise pm me and I will try and explain, using some simple math. Not appropriate on open forum. Too long.

Third, another question. Now that ordering is available, how does the reservation numbering system work? If someone with a "later" reservation number than me orders before me, does that mean they jump my position, as such? In other words, do I now need to rush to put my order through, per-se? Even though pricing is now out, I thought they would be contacting us when they were actually in a position to make our cars (which for me, reservation number 198, I'm not expecting for a few months at least). However, when I log in it no longer shows my reservation number which leads me to question the process.

Stone mentioned to me that there is still priority by reservation number but if you wait 2-3 weeks after ordering opens then he can no longer guarantee your position. I take this to mean that if 100 people before you fail to confirm an order in the next 2 weeks that you would receive your car before them.

yeah, Cary just corrected me on this too. whew, i had put it in my calendar for Wednesday.
see you other tesla tragics then

Yeah oops. I had it in my diary as Tuesday don't know why I was thinking Wed!

Anyway - I'm seeing more and more green cars on the road since making my choice and am now unsure of it!!! Can look great (Jaguar) or terrible (every other green I've seen) depending on the shade. I just hope the Model S comes through very nice in person.

Yeah oops. I had it in my diary as Tuesday don't know why I was thinking Wed!

Anyway - I'm seeing more and more green cars on the road since making my choice and am now unsure of it!!! Can look great (Jaguar) or terrible (every other green I've seen) depending on the shade. I just hope the Model S comes through very nice in person.

Having seen a lot of green ones here in SoCal, it almost looks black most of the time, only in the sun you see the rich dark green hue.

Personally the signature red is still my favorite color, followed by multi coat red as a close second.

I do like my dolphin Grey but I don't think I would've chosen it as a color.

I don't like the silver at all, the black doesn't tickle my fancy at all, after Sig red and mc red, I would probably go the multi coat pearl white then green and blue.

Why did they put a Sub-Zero package option for australia?

South Australia's mean temperature range is 29 °C (84 °F) in January and 15 °C (59 °F) in July. Daily temperatures in parts of the state in January and February can be up to 48 °C (118 °F). The highest maximum temperature was recorded as 50.7 °C (123.3 °F) at Oodnadatta on 2 January 1960, which is the highest official temperature recorded in Australia. The lowest minimum temperature was −8.0 °C (17.6 °F) at Yongala on 20 July 1976.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Australia