Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The i3 won!!!! I guess they do advertise and I guess we should be pleased it is an electric car. But...
Ho hum. I suppose better to be beaten by an EV (with or without Rex) than then latest incarnation of the Mercedes C class.Still don't quite get how it won when you watch the finalist reviews for the Model S and i3. The i3 had a number of negatives, including that the non Rex version ran out of juice 20kms before its destination.The comments on Facebook are going off - of those that do express a view as to who the rightful winner was Tesla gets more mentions than the others.

Ho hum. I suppose better to be beaten by an EV (with or without Rex) than then latest incarnation of the Mercedes C class.Still don't quite get how it won when you watch the finalist reviews for the Model S and i3. The i3 had a number of negatives, including that the non Rex version ran out of juice 20kms before its destination.The comments on Facebook are going off - of those that do express a view as to who the rightful winner was Tesla gets more mentions than the others.

In Hong Kong where space is tight and 4 out of 3 (!) owners scratch their rims ever so often (especially the left side), the i3 does make a lot of sense. Due to EV/ICE taxes, the REX doesn't make sense at all in HK (way too expensive). The main problem with the i3 is the range. If it wasn't for that it would have been a serious contester for a person like me. I put the deposit down in December 2012 for the Model S and have stuck with it, while if the Model III would have been available, I would most likely have chosen that instead (not knowing much detail about it).

Double the range of the i3 (without REX), and it would increase greatly in usability. But what would the price then be?

I don't want to start a storm, but I've noticed that a number of Melbourne based reservation holders are still waiting on delivery of their vehicle. Do we know what the delay is? Are they waiting on the Service Centre to open or is it the delay the Dealers license?
Just feeling a bit guilty in my 4th week of ownership. :redface:

You had to mention it didn't you Meloccom? It is hard to watch all you guys with NSW plates guide around with a whoosh and a wake of clean air.
But we too will have our time in silence at traffic lights, experiencing instantaneous propulsion and siting in the the future of personal transport right now...

I don't want to start a storm, but I've noticed that a number of Melbourne based reservation holders are still waiting on delivery of their vehicle. Do we know what the delay is? Are they waiting on the Service Centre to open or is it the delay the Dealers license?

Yes, the delays in Melbourne have been truly painful. However, I finally took delivery yesterday afternoon and my grumpy mood has miraculously improved.

It's hard to know what all of the delays have been but the most recent was the trucking company deciding they were too busy to deliver the cars to Melbourne after taking them from Tesla. I will say that the communication over the last week has been good with daily phonecalls from very apologetic staff.

There were a couple of very noticeable dings on my car at delivery, but Tesla have said they will repair these.

Deliveries for Melbourne will being in earnest end of this week and through next week. There was a stuff up by the delivery company and Tesla are working through it. It's bad luck really. James and Matt in Melbourne are doing everything they can to get the cars through, and in many respects, their hard work has been undone by a third party. I hope they take some form of action against that third party.

I'm scheduled to get mine today/Tuesday. Either way very soon (I've got my camera ready in any case!).

Jeff (Oystero) got his, as well as a number of other non-TMC members that I know of.

So there are actually quite a few Melbourne owners roaming the streets now! I also think that a few of the people in the spreadsheet have not given me their updates :D

Excuse the silly question but whos car was built first?

I have been away but some data is on Timpoo's thread List of Confirmed Australian Orders.

It seems that in October Heosat, Mscoooper, Higgy, Dborn, TesAus and DavidRM (me) entered upgraded model production on the 8th and 9th, with others following in the next few days. For the Autopilot models, Higgy, LGGD and I were first in Transit on Oct 14 so that would indicate they were built the same day. Mine definitely has the short rear headrest, so I would expect Higgy, and LGGD would also. But Melocomm, MangroveMike, Timpoo and danielp have a later 'In Production' date date (after 30 Oct) than the others, and so they may share the higher headrests.

At Last!
My Tesla S 85 is in Perth.
Expect delivery on 23/1/2015.

Getting temporary licence to take to Maddington for inspection.
Personalised plated ( NO CARBON ) to be fitted in Myaree but have no idea how to avoid AutoPilot sensors. Any thoughts?

Oh wow, are you the first owner in Perth? Also sounds like your not far away from me either so I can't guarantee I won't start stalking you.
:tongue:

I have been away but some data is on Timpoo's thread List of Confirmed Australian Orders.

It seems that in October Heosat, Mscoooper, Higgy, Dborn, TesAus and DavidRM (me) entered upgraded model production on the 8th and 9th, with others following in the next few days. For the Autopilot models, Higgy, LGGD and I were first in Transit on Oct 14 so that would indicate they were built the same day. Mine definitely has the short rear headrest, so I would expect Higgy, and LGGD would also. But Melocomm, MangroveMike, Timpoo and danielp have a later 'In Production' date date (after 30 Oct) than the others, and so they may share the higher headrests.

Confirming your surmise is correct - I have the shorter headrest

At Last!
My Tesla S 85 is in Perth.
Expect delivery on 23/1/2015.

Getting temporary licence to take to Maddington for inspection.
Personalised plated ( NO CARBON ) to be fitted in Myaree but have no idea how to avoid AutoPilot sensors. Any thoughts?

Hi Frank - there are another three of us who have been told by Tesla that our cars arrived in Perth 22Jan, but no update since! Did you receive yours today?
Prixcar told me not to expect mine until 31jan!
I nearly bought my 48 hour temporary movement permit, but am holding off now.
I did have a mobile inspector lined up to check out the engine if there a few of us together at the rail terminal or Prixcar, but apparently inspections cannot be done there.
My plates (FUEL FREE) are waiting at Myaree also.
We have done a group deal with a car detailer for Opti-Coat, so let us know if you want to join in.