Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have creep off since day one (and standard regen on) and I am loving it. Once you have used it for a little while I think it helps promote one pedal driving. For me when parking at home I have a small incline. With it off I can bounce forwards and backwards while in reverse without having to change gears.

I've never tried creep on and don't think I will.

Re sound system: I have the standard. I am impressed but it is missing a little depth specifically with lack of subwoofer. There is some flatness midrange but honestly with all the tire noise it really isn't important. If I could get a subwoofer now, I would.

I have creep off since day one (and standard regen on) and I am loving it. Once you have used it for a little while I think it helps promote one pedal driving. For me when parking at home I have a small incline. With it off I can bounce forwards and backwards while in reverse without having to change gears.

I've never tried creep on and don't think I will.

Re sound system: I have the standard. I am impressed but it is missing a little depth specifically with lack of subwoofer. There is some flatness midrange but honestly with all the tire noise it really isn't important. If I could get a subwoofer now, I would.
I'm used to my paddle shift smart Roadster that has a auto shifting manual gearbox with no creep. It feels weird everytime I drive a car that has it so it'll definitely be off in my car.

No creep and full regen since day one. Haven't even tried different settings. It's an EV, I don't want to mimic an ICE.

I have had no problems with hill hold. I was used to the Porsche PDK which like the Smart (which I have also owned) has (and needs) hill hold and doesn't creep much.

Trickiest situation I have been in was getting out of a park where the car was nose in and down a slope. Had to use two feet to back out without first lurching forward.

So you're at the lights and you want to turn left - instinctively I use the left stalk to indicate - because I am used to Japanese cars - next thing you are going backwards! WTF - I almost ran into some bikies behind me that mist have thought I was either mad or having a go at them. I could actually hear them laugh - which is impressive from the inside of a Model S. Has anyone made the same dumb mistake?? Its so easy to do - I reckon it should be so that you have to tap the stalk up twice to go into reverse (or something) - there are that many cars with indicators on the left that this is bound to happen. Maybe its just me??

It does of course help if one has driven European cars previously. My Merc did not have a stalk on the right at all. Believe it or not, I occasionally touch the right stalk as an indicator, nevertheless. Muscle memory is a strange thing, and my cars before the Merc were Japanese.

So you're at the lights and you want to turn left - instinctively I use the left stalk to indicate - because I am used to Japanese cars - next thing you are going backwards! WTF - I almost ran into some bikies behind me that mist have thought I was either mad or having a go at them. I could actually hear them laugh - which is impressive from the inside of a Model S. Has anyone made the same dumb mistake?? Its so easy to do - I reckon it should be so that you have to tap the stalk up twice to go into reverse (or something) - there are that many cars with indicators on the left that this is bound to happen. Maybe its just me??

this is probably the thing besides the size of the car that I like least about the model S, I can see me doing the exact same thing as I've turned the wipers on many a time when I’ve had to swap before on other cars.

Yeah, I've been having this issue. Although thankfully I don't seem to tap it hard enough to go into reverse, just into neutral. I've come from a Japanese car (Prius). It would be good to have the option of a reversing beep sound if you feel prone to this problem.

One mistake I made on my first day was leaving the boot open! I was in the carpark underground at work and showing someone the car. Opened the boot and the frunk to show him all the space and ended up getting in without going around the back again and leaving the boot door open. Normally you would hear the engine sound through the open boot, but obviously there was nothing to hear. We did note that the reversing camera view was a really odd angle but I thought it was just because it was the first time I had reversed in a low-ceiling environment. I headed off through the carpark until I drove past someone who was staring at me. I thought it was just the usual 'OMG a Tesla!' look until he shouted out 'Mate, your boot's open!'. All street cred was lost.

Having driven European cars for 15 years, no problem at all. I'm quite amazed sometimes at how flexible the human brain can be. Swapping between my wife's GT-four and my old 928 I had to adjust between the indicators being on a different side and also a completely different manual shift pattern. In a manual 928, first gear is far left and back - racing box style. In other manuals, first is left and forward. Doing that in a 928 is REVERSE. You really don't want to muck it up.

Much easier for me now having replaced the GT-Four with a BM.

Wow - yeah I have heard the boot open problem is quite common for some reason - apparently Tesla get lots of ripped off tail gates.

Glad I'm not the only one to have used the RIGHT stalk to indicate - just realised I clearly don't know my left from right! Duh - I like the idea of having an optional beep, beep, beep.... whilst in reverse for guys like me with obscure muscle memory having driven Japanese cars.

I wonder which side the American cars have the indicator on - maybe this hasn't been an issue because the car is so expensive and most new Tesla owners had expensive German cars before. Not the case for me.

- - - Updated - - -

this is probably the thing besides the size of the car that I like least about the model S, I can see me doing the exact same thing as I've turned the wipers on many a time when I’ve had to swap before on other cars.

Gabz - do you have a tesla charger you are willing to share - I noticed you are on plugshare showing a 15A wall socket? I sometimes have to go to Newcastle to see customers - from Hornsby its stretching the friendship going there and back with my 60. Happy to pay for the juice!

I'm guessing everyone has the new software ver 6.1? I've been using mine this week - even went for a drive to Gosford - the new cruise control is awesome - on the highway but also for slow traffic conditions - only thing I have a small problem with is the distance form the car in front - at highway speeds its too close for my liking - even when set on 7. Also is in need of some small refinements with tracking cars moving in and out of your lane in front of you - has anyone got any thoughts?

Choice have recently published an article on Model S and I think they like it.

CHOICE tester Peter Horvath took the Model S P85+ home for 24 hours, and didn't want to give it back.

They like it, but they still get a lot of things wrong.

"Acceleration to 100km/h 5.1s"

That would be 4.4s for the P85+.

"The Tesla we drove is rated for 502km, but realistically you'll get about 300km, and probably less if you have a lead foot."

Wouldn't 300km range only be if you have a VERY heavy/lead foot in an 85kWh Model S?

"You get a charge point to install at your house, but you'll need a power point in the garage or charging area."

Um, the HPWC is hard wired and on its own circuit, not plugged into a power point.

I also think their mention at the end that it might not be suitable for long distances, because you have to charge frequently, is a bit of a silly thing to say - especially considering the range of the Model S. To their credit, they mention it "might" be viable in the future as the supercharger network is rolled out. I think they need to read heosat's blog....

the term long distances is a vague term which depends on how far you have to drive from home to work i.e. your daily drive . you talk to some country people a long distance starts at 500km metro people seem to feel it's 100-200km some times even 30km is a long distance for them. basically 3 times your daily drive distance is a long distance...

I assume this was a demo car - anyone know? Hopefully this got more attention than below from Crikey:

We've been hearing grumbles about the parking situation from a few corners -- perhaps everyone should try and hitch a ride with Clive Palmer, who turned up to Parliament today in a red Tesla.