Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really think the only way out of all this is Tesla will end up upgrading all mcu1 cars to mcu2. I see no other way around it
Realize original customers spent 6k ( I think) on FSD. 6k for a feature that they still don't have!

I spent 2k on the upgrade that I still don't have either. Its actually quite frustrating not hearing a single update from Tesla about the whole situation. They need to cut their losses and just upgrade all of those who paid for FSD. Honestly, how much is it going to really cost them? Im sure they will still be ahead if that is what happens.

I really think the only way out of all this is Tesla will end up upgrading all mcu1 cars to mcu2. I see no other way around it
Realize original customers spent 6k ( I think) on FSD. 6k for a feature that they still don't have!

I spent 2k on the upgrade that I still don't have either. Its actually quite frustrating not hearing a single update from Tesla about the whole situation. They need to cut their losses and just upgrade all of those who paid for FSD. Honestly, how much is it going to really cost them? Im sure they will still be ahead if that is what happens.

None of my cars are FSD nor do I care one bit about FSD. I agree that Tesla should upgrade MCU1 cars to MCU2 to put this to rest before it gets really ugly for them. We need to not divide our ranks among FSD/non-FSD because it does nothing to better our cause. This needs to be a focused MCU1 to MCU2 cause if we're to see any results. If people want to bring FSD into the conversation all it will do is divide our numbers and cloud the issue.

The discussion is derailing quickly. Anybody that thinks Tesla is going to voluntarily (or even non-voluntarily) upgrade ALL MCU1 vehicles to MCU2's are seriously building themselves up to be let down. Not a snowball's chance that it will happen - just get it out of your heads.

That said, there very well may (and probably at some point will) be a PAID MCU upgrade program, which many of us may end up taking advantage of. My suspicion is that that is on the horizon, and that the MCU1 is being deliberately made so unbearable that we will gladly fork over some money to upgrade it.

My first MCU fail on my 2013 Model S was at 4.5 years, 95K miles (paid $2500 for repair out of warranty for a refurb MCU). All seemed well until this morning, black screen, no fix with reboot, fuse pull, 12v disconnect with only 2.5yrs and 20k miles on this one. Frustrating.

Well at least the MCU you paid for out of warranty came with a 4-year unlimited mileage warranty, so they should replace it for you free of charge. (Actually I don't know if it would be free, the part should be free but the warranty on it might not cover labor. You'll have to let us know how it works out.)

None of my cars are FSD nor do I care one bit about FSD. I agree that Tesla should upgrade MCU1 cars to MCU2 to put this to rest before it gets really ugly for them. We need to not divide our ranks among FSD/non-FSD because it does nothing to better our cause. This needs to be a focused MCU1 to MCU2 cause if we're to see any results. If people want to bring FSD into the conversation all it will do is divide our numbers and cloud the issue.

I think the reality is, that the only reason they are working on a MCU1 to MCU2 is for those who have purchased FSD software, or have the option to purchase FSD software. We already now from multiple cases documented on TMC that HW3/FSD Computer will NOT work with the most current software rev with MCU1...

MCU2 retrofit is NOT required for any AP1 or pre-AP vehicle, however based on what we know right now (with current available software), that is IT required for FSD... We also know that those with MCU/1 and AP2.5, the retrofit is very easy as GreenTheOnly was able to do it.

Last edited:
Well at least the MCU you paid for out of warranty came with a 4-year unlimited mileage warranty, so they should replace it for you free of charge. (Actually I don't know if it would be free, the part should be free but the warranty on it might not cover labor. You'll have to let us know how it works out.)
That would be nice but my guess is the 4 year warranty would just be on the original one that came with the car. Typically out of warranty repairs are only covered for 12 months IIRC (but I would be happy to wrong about this!):)

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

Actual LOL.

You are in for a world of disappointment. It’s absurd how many people believe “HW3 doesn’t work with MCU1 right now” means “HW3 will never work with MCU1”.

But yeah, keep up the hope or something? I’m sure Tesla agrees the ONLY way out of this is for them to give you a free computer.

That would be nice but my guess is the 4 year warranty would just be on the original one that came with the car. Typically out of warranty repairs are only covered for 12 months IIRC (but I would be happy to wrong about this!):)

The current parts/repair warranty says quite clearly if you paid for a MCU replacement out of warranty, it’s covered for 4 years.

I don’t know when exactly that language was added.

Follow the money.

I get that Tesla isn't required to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 in the least. They may find themselves in the middle of a class action suit though regarding the eMMC in the MCU1 equipped cars. If they were already were going to offer an upgrade path for MCU1 cars to MCU2 it may make more sense to simply move everyone from MCU1 to MCU2 than it would try to fight any litigation regarding the premature MCU1 failures tied to constant log writing. It would also gain a lot of credibility points moving forward and the powers that be at Tesla may deem this the best route to move forward. That's all I'm saying here and I'm not sure why some are getting caught up in the weeds of FSD since that doesn't really have much relevance to this topic since it also applies to cars w/o FSD that are MCU1.

Summary: I'm not saying that it will happen but that it could if the numbers make more sense.

It is right on the Tesla warranty page:

The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods:

• Sheet metal: Limited lifetime
  • Drive Unit: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Vehicle High Voltage Battery: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Wall Connectors: 4 years
  • Touchscreen and microcontroller unit: 4 years

Yes, the replacement MCU warranty is better than the original bumper-to-bumper warranty. (In that it has no mileage limit.)

And the warranty document even says that if Tesla installed the part that labor is covered as well. :D So a re-repair should be free for you.

Follow the money.

I get that Tesla isn't required to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 in the least. They may find themselves in the middle of a class action suit though regarding the eMMC in the MCU1 equipped cars. If they were already were going to offer an upgrade path for MCU1 cars to MCU2 it may make more sense to simply move everyone from MCU1 to MCU2 than it would try to fight any litigation regarding the premature MCU1 failures tied to constant log writing. It would also gain a lot of credibility points moving forward and the powers that be at Tesla may deem this the best route to move forward. That's all I'm saying here and I'm not sure why some are getting caught up in the weeds of FSD since that doesn't really have much relevance to this topic since it also applies to cars w/o FSD that are MCU1.

Summary: I'm not saying that it will happen but that it could if the numbers make more sense.

I can’t see how Tesla could be on the hook for eMMC failures in a class action suit. This is what warranties are for. Sure, they could goodwill some out of warranty coverage for a part with above average failure rates (one could argue that’s exactly what they’re doing with the generous warranty coverage for an out of pocket replacement), but they certainly don’t have to. Nor is there any reasonable expectation or precedent that they’d be liable in a class action.

I can’t see how Tesla could be on the hook for eMMC failures in a class action suit. This is what warranties are for. Sure, they could goodwill some out of warranty coverage for a part with above average failure rates (one could argue that’s exactly what they’re doing with the generous warranty coverage for an out of pocket replacement), but they certainly don’t have to. Nor is there any reasonable expectation or precedent that they’d be liable in a class action.
Point of clarification: Class actions lawsuits don't have to be 100% winnable on the front-end to be viable. Many are filed even though they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning. Often times companies will settle to just make it go away and, in this case, it seems completely reasonable that this could have enough traction to make Tesla want to offer a favorable solution to be done with it.

Again, I'm not saying any of this is a sure thing. What I am saying is that if people who think this is a possibility also think it's wise to split the factions into FSD and non-FSD they're dividing their ranks pointlessly. FSD isn't even worth bringing up to those people.

I've not seen anything from Tesla

zanary, I think you made a typo here on your first word. MCU1 is NOT required for any AP1 or pre-AP" ?? Good-ole-buddy, I think MCU1 is required. There is no/was no MCU0. And MCU1 was used on the S/X until Feb 2018. So all the S's since 2012 have had MCU1. But nuff said. I suspect you meant for that to say MCU2. I'd just throwing this out there to help.
Oops. Typo on my part. I've edited my post and made the change. I meant to says that "MCU/2 Retrofit".

The discussion is derailing quickly. Anybody that thinks Tesla is going to voluntarily (or even non-voluntarily) upgrade ALL MCU1 vehicles to MCU2's are seriously building themselves up to be let down. Not a snowball's chance that it will happen - just get it out of your heads.
Agreed. Don't see any reason for Tesla to do it for $#!ts and giggles. Would also argue if Tesla developed a MCU.new replacement for the MCU1, it would make sense to use the new MCU model to replace the old ones, be it an in-warranty or out-of-warranty MCU replacement.

I think the reality is, that the only reason they are working on a MCU1 to MCU2 is for those who have purchased FSD software...
From my perspective TSLA accepted good consideration from myself - and others - to provide ongoing FSD software updates plus whatever hardware updates are needed to support the feature (and yes, I realize the ambiguity surrounding just what exactly is involved in defining FSD). My expectation is TSLA will replace the AP logic board as the new hardware, the new AP logic board that is, is required to support FSD and the current one is not. My guess ($0.02) is MCU1 is not an impediment for delivering FSD, or at least not from the hardware angle.

Now if I am mistaken and MCU1's hardware is unable to support FSD, then TSLA will need to rectify the situation at their expense. But at the risk of repeating myself: I do not think this is the case and I assume MCU1 will ultimately not be a roadblock to FSD.

Stepping aside from the FSD issue, I would seriously consider an out-of-pocket upgrade path from MCU1 to MCU.new and hope TSLA is able to offer this option soon.

Well at least the MCU you paid for out of warranty came with a 4-year unlimited mileage warranty, so they should replace it for you free of charge.
The current parts/repair warranty says quite clearly if you paid for a MCU replacement out of warranty, it’s covered for 4 years.
That's good to know. Also heads up - some high end credit cards will double the manufacturer's warranty in some cases too. There are limits and exclusions of course, but maybe worth researching for all those who're worried about failure from year 4+ to 8.

None of my cars are FSD nor do I care one bit about FSD. I agree that Tesla should upgrade MCU1 cars to MCU2 to put this to rest before it gets really ugly for them. We need to not divide our ranks among FSD/non-FSD because it does nothing to better our cause.
Um... Both of my cars are FSD, nor do I care one bit about non-FSD. I don't think Tesla has any obligation to upgrade MCU1 cars to MCU2, although they do have an obligation to make the software work reasonably well on all hardware configurations. We have no "ranks" and we have no "cause". All we have are a bunch of people unhappy that their cars aren't working as well as they would like. The moment anybody gets their car made better, they're out of here. Nobody's sticking around to try to see that others have their problems solved.

The limit of the support you'll find here is "misery loves company" complaining, and people telling you how their problems got fixed (when they are) and wishing you luck in having yours dealt with.

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
Agreed. Don't see any reason for Tesla to do it for $#!ts and giggles. Would also argue if Tesla developed a MCU.new replacement for the MCU1, it would make sense to use the new MCU model to replace the old ones, be it an in-warranty or out-of-warranty MCU replacement.

From my perspective TSLA accepted good consideration from myself - and others - to provide ongoing FSD software updates plus whatever hardware updates are needed to support the feature (and yes, I realize the ambiguity surrounding just what exactly is involved in defining FSD). My expectation is TSLA will replace the AP logic board as the new hardware, the new AP logic board that is, is required to support FSD and the current one is not. My guess ($0.02) is MCU1 is not an impediment for delivering FSD, or at least not from the hardware angle.

Now if I am mistaken and MCU1's hardware is unable to support FSD, then TSLA will need to rectify the situation at their expense. But at the risk of repeating myself: I do not think this is the case and I assume MCU1 will ultimately not be a roadblock to FSD.

Stepping aside from the FSD issue, I would seriously consider an out-of-pocket upgrade path from MCU1 to MCU.new and hope TSLA is able to offer this option soon.

That's good to know. Also heads up - some high end credit cards will double the manufacturer's warranty in some cases too. There are limits and exclusions of course, but maybe worth researching for all those who're worried about failure from year 4+ to 8.

didn't think about the credit card idea, anyone know if this would work?