Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm interested if Krash's information on their MCU1->2 efforts is different than the initial proof of concept that already happened in the past.

We already know they've done it internally per Elon's remarks, but the question is are the revisiting it for a full retrofit to all vehicles (including AP0 and AP1 with the old wiring harness), just for AP2 -> FSD, or some other permutation.

we don’t know for sure but I’m speculating only AP2.0 and 2.5 Model S only.

• Informative
Reactions: Plastic6
I pulled up the PDF warranty document and showed them their policy in writing. They politely admitted they had never heard of this warranty before and waived the charge.

It's shocking that they don't know their own warranty polices. :eek::rolleyes:

Thanks for educating another service center.

I wonder where the relay is... It doesn't sound like it was in the MCU itself, so maybe it shouldn't have been covered. But it is also weird that they wouldn't have billed for the replacement relay. (I don't think I have seen anyone report this particular failure before, we always assume the MCU/eMMC when a MCU goes black.)

we don’t know for sure but I’m speculating only AP2.0 and 2.5 Model S only.

He specifically mentioned pre AP.

I'm interested if Krash's information on their MCU1->2 efforts is different than the initial proof of concept that already happened in the past.

We already know they've done it internally per Elon's remarks, but the question is are the revisiting it for a full retrofit to all vehicles (including AP0 and AP1 with the old wiring harness), just for AP2 -> FSD, or some other permutation.

He mentioned that they are currentlytesting it. That sounds newer than something that they have done in the past... It also sounds like we might get more information in a few weeks. (Or longer if they wait for the necessary parts to be produced before announcing the upgrade option.)

An MCU2 replacement for MCU1 cars is currently in testing at Tesla and still will be for the next few weeks. After it passes, Tesla may start production before announcing it. They may also release the upgrade for some configurations before others (for example HW 2.5 vs HW 2.0 or pre AP). Don’t bother your service center about it. They won’t know until it gets released.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
It's shocking that they don't know their own warranty polices. :eek::rolleyes:

Thanks for educating another service center.

I wonder where the relay is... It doesn't sound like it was in the MCU itself, so maybe it shouldn't have been covered. But it is also weird that they wouldn't have billed for the replacement relay. (I don't think I have seen anyone report this particular failure before, we always assume the MCU/eMMC when a MCU goes black.)

I’m thinking the “relay” was actually the fuse I pulled myself because the heat wouldn’t stop running when the MCU died. I left the fuse marked in a ziplock for the technician but perhaps they just discovered it was missing and replaced it? A fuse is not the same as a relay but who knows.

I really don’t like this whole only communicate through the app business. I miss the days of speaking to a knowledgeable Tesla service technician who actually took the time to explain what was going on. I think you get this more with the ranger service since they interact with you directly.

Reactions: StarLog
Thanks for the tip, you saved me $195 bucks!
I got very few details from service on the MCU failure, no actual communication with a technician and the invoice simply says "Replaced a relay within the wiring". I guess this somehow resurrected the MCU. They attempted to charge a $195 "diagnostic fee", no itemized parts or labor on the invoice which is a first for me. The $195 is pretty reasonable given the amount of troubleshooting and work I would imagine they did. When I pointed out to the service rep that the repair should potentially be covered under the 4 year "Touchscreen and Microcontroller" warranty since I had previously paid to have the MCU replaced, they questioned the existence of this specific warranty. I pulled up the PDF warranty document and showed them their policy in writing. They politely admitted they had never heard of this warranty before and waived the charge.

Thanks for sharing your experience... hard to believe that Tesla is not familiar with their own warranty coverage! :cool:

Well at least the MCU you paid for out of warranty came with a 4-year unlimited mileage warranty, so they should replace it for you free of charge. (Actually I don't know if it would be free, the part should be free but the warranty on it might not cover labor. You'll have to let us know how it works out.)
I’m hoping there’s a written record of that 4 year warranty on replacement as I can no longer find it...

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: sorka and scottf200
Okey, is @Krash with Morten Harket picture having a beef with moderator or something?

Got a notification that he quoted my post, but seems removed.
Earlier got a notification about a new post, but only to find out that it was removed also.

Bugs the hell of me...

No, I think it's all good. He replied to you a bit earlier saying he removed a post and also said he'd remove that post too.