Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
didn't think about the credit card idea, anyone know if this would work?
LOL, read the fine print in the card agreement. Typically there are limitations like $500 max. I’m just imagining the response if you call the credit card concierge to tell them your MCU in your car failed and you want to claim. Please record the conversation! MC What???

LOL, read the fine print in the card agreement. Typically there are limitations like $500 max. I’m just imagining the response if you call the credit card concierge to tell them your MCU in your car failed and you want to claim. Please record the conversation! MC What???

Chase Sapphire is up to 10k. But it says motorized vehicles or boats. I think the true purpose of that rule for atvs and motorcycle. Maybe the MCU could be seen as a an electronic component.

Extended warranty protection from credit cards will not apply as all providers exclude cars in one fashion or another:

Visa policy:
What items are not covered?
• Boats, automobiles, aircraft, and any other motorized vehicles and their motors, equipment, or accessories, including trailers and other items that can be towed by or attached to any motorized vehicle

Amex policy:
NO COVERAGE IS PROVIDED FOR:
8. Motorized Devices or Motorized Device Parts, except for Motorized Devices and Motorized Device Parts that are permanent residential or business fixtures that can be removed without damaging the structure

Extended warranty protection from credit cards will not apply as all providers exclude cars in one fashion or another:

Visa policy:
What items are not covered?
• Boats, automobiles, aircraft, and any other motorized vehicles and their motors, equipment, or accessories, including trailers and other items that can be towed by or attached to any motorized vehicle

Amex policy:
NO COVERAGE IS PROVIDED FOR:
8. Motorized Devices or Motorized Device Parts, except for Motorized Devices and Motorized Device Parts that are permanent residential or business fixtures that can be removed without damaging the structure

Hmm couldn't we say the MCU is just a computer!!

I'm at almost 50K miles on my Dec 2016 car with MCU1.

This thread has me pretty paranoid.

If we don't get a MCU2 upgrade path, I'll be shipping my MCU off for the emmc upgrade this summer.

I'm at 103,000 miles on the same car built in the same month, so your paranoia is probably unwarranted.

Though I agree with your conclusion - I'm giving Tesla another 6 months or so to figure out the upgrade thing. If it finally materializes, I'll let my MCU1 die and replace it with MCU2 when that happens. If there's still no info, I'll go the 3rd party eMMC replacement route.

In all seriousness, from both a business view and a consumer view I think that it's okey to divide it into three camps.

MCU1 + AP2.x = you can upgrade your mcu1 on your own expense. But your mcu1 is working but will probably miss out on alot of things/goodies in the years to come.

MCU1 + AP2.x + FSD = it's easier to upgrade your car to mcu2 and hw3 from a company standpoint due to the cost of maintenance of different code bases, verification of each update, and keeping the chances of bugs lower. And forms as an incentive for the buyer to pay Tesla for the upgrade.
Chances are that mcu2 really does not cost them that much more than a mcu1 to make at this point in time, therefore makes sense to upgrade all FSD buyers to mcu2 and minimize the cost and risk of FSD development and bugs.

MCU1 + AP1/non AP = i would consider myself lucky to have a chance to pay for a mcu2 upgrade as a customer, from a business perspective I would only do it if it was a more or less straight fit.

Though I agree with your conclusion - I'm giving Tesla another 6 months or so to figure out the upgrade thing. If it finally materializes, I'll let my MCU1 die and replace it with MCU2 when that happens. If there's still no info, I'll go the 3rd party eMMC replacement route.

The 1st post in this thread gives symptoms to the eMMC dying ... you don't want to "let [your] MCU1 die" that death before deciding to do something as you to need to back up parts (certificates) of it first.
Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair)

Krash, Tell us how you know that Tesla is working on MCU1 to MCU2 path. More than "internal". Please.
@scottf200
@plumazul
@GoBeavs
@dbldwn02

Okay, I asked Krash to tell us more about this MCU1 to MCU2 path. Naturally if he can't he would say.

But I am directing this question to you four people. Why would you disagree with me asking him?

Okay, I asked Krash to tell us more about this MCU1 to MCU2 path. Naturally if he can't he would say.
But I am directing this question to you four people. Why would you disagree with me asking him?
Clearly he was being cautious and protecting his source. Would you want him to give more info that could lead to the person being found out or the area where they work and be fired? Be respectful and considerate. He didn't have to say anything but I'm thankful he gave us a hint that it is being considered and tested. Certainly, it is a small group that know about it so there is probably already danger to them being questioned. You trying to drag out a conversation about it makes it worse and more noticeable.

It was a simple question to see if he could offer more. I didn't have a milkshake to his head. He could say no there was no more.
@scottf200
@plumazul
@GoBeavs
@dbldwn02

Breathe in, Breathe out :) Just my opinion, I don't get defensive over other posters replies, opinions, and dislikes. No need to raise the blood pressure :) I realize they often disagree for various reasons and not necessarily before they dislike my post.

It was a simple question to see if he could offer more. I didn't have a milkshake to his head. He could say no there was no more.

Honestly, I disliked it because of the tone of the question. See the two examples below:

1) “Krash, Tell us how you know that Tesla is working on MCU1 to MCU2 path. More than "internal". Please.”

Everyone’s impression can be different, but I get a tone that says you a) don’t trust OP and his source and b) DEMAND more information to validate it.

2) “Krash, that’s great to hear - Any additional insight you might know about without getting the source in trouble? Specifically x,y,z?”

Same question, but a little more friendlier. I disliked it only for your manners (hey, maybe I interpreted it wrong - that’s really easy to do while reading text).

Yes sir I am sorry that you did interpret it wrong. Quite the opposite of what your assumption was completely wrong. You didn't hear my tone, you guessed my tone was negative and guess wrong. I fully believe what he said. And I wanted to believe it. And I apologize to that this dumb old redneck had not had the benefit of your choice of words to use for that question. :) I did ask please. I was hopeful in asking in behalf of anyone else interested and paying attention that he could enlighten us a little more - publicly so the rest of the readers could hear it too, once he heard someone was interested in what he had to say. He didn't publicly answer did he? So, I guess he could not add more. So no real harm was done by me asking the question? I can also share with you from first hand account that he took no offense to it. Since I don't know anything, I can't share anything if I was inclined to do so. We would not want to do that right? This isn't a forum.

I've been tallying data from Tesla's forum and TMC on MCU1 failures. Found more than 60 reported MCU1 failures and repairs. Interesting pattern so far. Have not but just started on TMC.

Its really funny (funny is not really the word that describes) how my question has caused so much distress to people disagreeing with the question. More so than the issue itself. Hopefully we can move along to more useful dialogue here. I can.

It is right on the Tesla warranty page:

Yes, the replacement MCU warranty is better than the original bumper-to-bumper warranty. (In that it has no mileage limit.)

And the warranty document even says that if Tesla installed the part that labor is covered as well. :D So a re-repair should be free for you.

Thanks for the tip, you saved me $195 bucks!

I had my MCU failure fixed after experiencing (black non responsive screen, unable to charge etc). This was a refurb MCU replaced 2.5 years ago when the original on my 2013 failed at 4.5 years/95k miles.

I got very few details from service on the MCU failure, no actual communication with a technician and the invoice simply says "Replaced a relay within the wiring". I guess this somehow resurrected the MCU. They attempted to charge a $195 "diagnostic fee", no itemized parts or labor on the invoice which is a first for me. The $195 is pretty reasonable given the amount of troubleshooting and work I would imagine they did. When I pointed out to the service rep that the repair should potentially be covered under the 4 year "Touchscreen and Microcontroller" warranty since I had previously paid to have the MCU replaced, they questioned the existence of this specific warranty. I pulled up the PDF warranty document and showed them their policy in writing. They politely admitted they had never heard of this warranty before and waived the charge.

My concern is this relay failure a symptom of impending more significant MCU failure but at least I still have another 1.5 years on the warranty left to find out.

I'm interested if Krash's information on their MCU1->2 efforts is different than the initial proof of concept that already happened in the past.

We already know they've done it internally per Elon's remarks, but the question is are the revisiting it for a full retrofit to all vehicles (including AP0 and AP1 with the old wiring harness), just for AP2 -> FSD, or some other permutation.

Reactions: Akikiki