Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The $7500 tax credit is gone - but compared to what we paid for our 2017 S and 2018 X, Tesla reduced the list price of those vehicles around 15%, more than making up for the tax credit.

Our 2017 S 100D (fully loaded) listed for $117K (with a sunroof, EAP/FSD, FUSC). A new S LR+ (fully loaded, no sunroof) lists for $91K (FSD, FUSC). If Tesla transferred the FSD, the list price would be $84K.

I'm estimating our S is worth around $48K - so net cost (before sales tax) would be $36K. And for that difference, we would get:
  • Increased range - 390 vs. 335 (55 more miles of range)
  • Faster acceleration (0-60) - 3.7s vs. 4.2s
  • MCU/AP upgrade to MCU2/AP3
  • Features available only with MCU2 (primarily useful while parked or supercharging) - games, streaming video, ...
  • Faster supercharging (but still not V3)
  • Would lose AM radio (not supported by MCU2)
  • Wireless phone charging in center console
  • Heated rear seats
  • And likely some smaller improvements made in the last 3 years
  • Plus it would reset the warranty clock, giving us a new 4 year/50K mile new vehicle warranty
If Tesla offered an additional $5-10K (the equivalent of their parts and labor cost for upgrading our 2017 S to MCU2 and the new AP processor), that would get the upgrade cost to around $30K.

While not everyone may be willing to do this - if this was an option, we would seriously consider it as an alternative to doing a hardware upgrade to a 3 year old vehicle.

I think your 100D is worth way more than 48K. Probably closer to 60K.

Reactions: croman and Akikiki
I'm estimating our S is worth around $48K - so net cost (before sales tax) would be $36K. And for that difference, we would get:
  • Increased range - 390 vs. 335 (55 more miles of range)
  • Faster acceleration (0-60) - 3.7s vs. 4.2s
  • MCU/AP upgrade to MCU2/AP3
  • Features available only with MCU2 (primarily useful while parked or supercharging) - games, streaming video, ...
  • Faster supercharging (but still not V3)
  • Would lose AM radio (not supported by MCU2)
  • Wireless phone charging in center console
  • Heated rear seats
  • And likely some smaller improvements made in the last 3 years
  • Plus it would reset the warranty clock, giving us a new 4 year/50K mile new vehicle warranty
If Tesla offered an additional $5-10K (the equivalent of their parts and labor cost for upgrading our 2017 S to MCU2 and the new AP processor), that would get the upgrade cost to around $30K.

While not everyone may be willing to do this - if this was an option, we would seriously consider it as an alternative to doing a hardware upgrade to a 3 year old vehicle.

I also would consider something similar with my Oct 2016 S, but with a "downgrade" to a Y. Transfer my full self-driving AND my free supercharging for life with a $5-10K discount to what really is the car I should have bought but couldn't wait for. This would be really enticing and solve Tesla's problem of needing to bring my "ancient" hardware along for the FSD ride. Plus, Tesla would have a fantastic used car to sell (and likely make all that money back on).

Reactions: croman
You definitely have heated rear seats with a fully loaded 100D (called "sub-zero" cold weather package was a $1k option). I know I do (though after v9 you've gotta turn on HVAC and enter HVAC menu just to activate the rear seat heat options or wiper/mirror/window heat)
Subzero was optional in early 2017 so it's possible for some cars not to have the heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, heated wipers, etc.

For the S we took delivery of in March 2017, subzero, UHF and air suspension were optional and we paid extra for them. Subzero, UHF and air suspension were all standard on the S we got in December 2017.

I see what you are saying though...so either @bob_p 's car wasn't "fully loaded"...or he just didn't know he could turn on the rear seat heaters!

BTW, they can also be enabled via the app.

Reactions: croman
Whoosh right over your head with the real point! Do not add to identifying information so the person can get in trouble. Seriously are you that inconsiderate and self-serving.
I'm pretty sure Krash is a grown up and does not need you to protect him from inconsiderate and self-serving me. I am willing to go out on a limb and believe he was capable of saying "no, cannot".

If you look around there was others that asked the same. I didn't see you jumping on them the way you did me. I noticed you seem to disagree with other things I say too. Did I step on your toys in the sandbox in a different life and you just want to haunt me? I don't know you. I don't look for stuff you write. What you say we call a truce and don't reply to each other?

Well I sure hope this is true!

Attachments

• 71ECF0A8-7FE4-46D7-A735-D6A8B9DA5E3E.png
    71ECF0A8-7FE4-46D7-A735-D6A8B9DA5E3E.png
    537 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: Akikiki
Infotainment Upgrade

It's official!!!! We did it

Some bad:

Is anything removed with the Infotainment Upgrade?
Yes. You will no longer have access to AM, FM or Sirius XM radio. You will still have access to internet radio and music streaming, including streaming over Bluetooth®.

I get the AM and XM, but really, they removed FM as well? o_O

I'm also wondering if this means AP2.0 vehicles with FSD will be able to get dashcam support, which would be awesome (although losing AM/FM radio sucks). Also, does this mean those of us who pre-paid for FSD are now required to pay another $2500 to actually be able to use FSD *someday*, or will they make FSD work with MCU1?

I'm thinking they will create a version of FSD for mcu1. One that doesn't display all of the visualisations

Reactions: scottf200
It says dashcam after MCU2 upgrade with FSD computer. I think FSD is MCU2 only based on the wording which is a huge contractual liability for Tesla ("all cars come with the hardware for full self driving")

I was planning on MCU2 upgrade anyways because MCU1 sucks and $2500 gets me a new MCU that won't fail (and is better). I don't listen to the radio anyways but how hard is it to bury a wire?

How do we get 5ghz -- are they replacing the mirrors?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker