Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what you're saying is if someone was naive enough to buy stuff from Elon based on his word, it's their own fault for not getting what they paid for. I guess you could say the same about anyone who gave money to Bernie Madoff, or invested their retirements in any funds which would give Bernie your money. They all should have known better, so it's their own fault, right?
You've taken my assertion that as adults we are all responsible for our decisions... and bent it to your warped agenda, whitex.

You claim that someone, anyone, bought a $100k car because Elon (incorrectly) projected that the MCU hardware would be replaced! Preposterous.

And you make the hyperbolic conflation with Bernie Madoff? This is called 'propaganda', whitex. Worthless chaff. Again I remind you that your jealousy of Elon is showing.

The disturbing thing is 4 people agreed with you. Sometimes I despair for our public education system...

Last edited:
I am not taking about the Tesla built in Spotify that EU customers get. I am talking the site that uses BT to sync with your phone to use the Tesla screen as a Spotify remote. Did it actually work with your MCU1 browser? I can’t even get that to load google search.
So am I. Connected to the Tesplay app from browser in the S.
I am not taking about the Tesla built in Spotify that EU customers get. I am talking the site that uses BT to sync with your phone to use the Tesla screen as a Spotify remote. Did it actually work with your MCU1 browser? I can’t even get that to load google search.
So am I. I connected to Tesplayer using the cars browser. See link
TesPlayer brings Spotify access to Tesla Model S, 3, X owners

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
You've taken my assertion that as adults we are all responsible for our decisions... and bent it to your warped agenda, whitex.

You claim that someone, anyone, bought a $100k car because Elon (incorrectly) projected that the MCU hardware would be replaced! Preposterous.

And you make the hyperbolic conflation with Bernie Madoff? This is called 'propaganda', whitex. Worthless chaff. Again I remind you that your jealousy of Elon is showing.

The disturbing thing is 4 people agreed with you. Sometimes I despair for our public education system...

Correct, but we did for FSD, and that seems exceedingly unlikely as time goes on, at least true FSD, not the water downed stuff they have on the website today. Good thing those regulators that nobody except Elon knows are holding us back. I’d hate to think Elon was over selling current capabilities to make a sale now for some future promise you’ll need to buy a new car on to deliver...

Exactly 1 day after my car was built.

I took delivery late March 2018.
Car was build end of Feb. Not a happy time waiting for delivery knowing it was coming with an "older" MCU.
And yes I am one of the lucky ones having lots of issues with mine.

Well..... I got my 90D (with MCU 1) shortly after the 100D was announced for the same price. Still enjoy my car though.

Correct, but we did for FSD, and that seems exceedingly unlikely as time goes on, at least true FSD, not the water downed stuff they have on the website today. Good thing those regulators that nobody except Elon knows are holding us back. I’d hate to think Elon was over selling current capabilities to make a sale now for some future promise you’ll need to buy a new car on to deliver...
Sure and I agree with you, but this thread is about MCU1==>MCU2.

I sympathize with the gigantic challenges Elon has and give him all due credit for the incredible and unprecedented things he's done. Fact is FSD is New Science and a manager can only go by what his best people tell him. Sure there's a promotional aspect, but he's agreed to replace AP2 and 2.5 with 3 for free. That is a tremendous expense when you consider R&D, and was a big factor in the need for this latest Raise.

If I had bought for FSD I'd resent it, and alot of owners will be out to take as much as they can in this situation, since we have decided to have an adversarial society. Given the limitations of physics he's up against and the unexplored nature of the challenge, yes he muffed it but I am glad he exists.

No, not at all. Maybe some people did. Others, if not all, may have handed over their $100K because they believed the promise that the car will continue to function same or better at least least under warranty, though I bet expect the car to live beyond the 4 years. And yet, the browser died during people's bumper to bumper warranty and Tesla won't fix it - MCU2 would be a fix because we know MCU2 works. My car will be out of warranty in 3 days, then Tesla can say, "not our problem anymore" because they waited me out? There are other Elon/Tesla promises which I'm sure factored into purchases but let's just take this one - how many people do you think assumed the car would remain at least as function as when they bought it, when spending $100K? Just a few? Now, isn't that preposterous?

Again I remind you that your jealousy of Elon is showing.
Your baseless assertion is called a "false premise". You stating that something is showing implies that it exists. In this case, I am not at all jealous of Elon, hence it cannot be showing, hence your statement cannot apply.

You despair that the public education system didn't teach them that they should not expect the product they buy for $100K to be fully functional for at least however long the warranty lasts, if not longer? What would you have schools teach people - screw of be screwed? Having faith in people's word is what a lot of society is based around. If everyone assumes everyone else is lying and out to screw them, the society as we know will collapse.

I don't think it's as much jealousy, just that negativity is en vogue on TMC. I personally can't imagine how awful it must feel to spend your whole day angry on the internet.
Word. If it's not jealousy then whitex must be a Short on the losing end. He definitely has something personal and resentful against Elon if you look at his posting history. (despite his denials)

Amusingly too, he's politically a reactionary, but yet prefers to not take that 'personal responsibility' they are so big on, when it matters. He recently asked us to buy a car for his SON! Apparently his son can't/won't do it on his own, like most of us had to.

I am on my 3rd MCU (MCU 1, July 2016 car..) and the last one was replaced due to the yellow banding issue which was pretty terrible. Tesla have agreed to replace my screen when the new unit is available - hopefully this year. Good news as my car is about to run out of warranty...

I would be happy to pay for an MCU2 upgrade; but I am guessing it won't be cheap.......

Word. If it's not jealousy then whitex must be a Short on the losing end. He definitely has something personal and resentful against Elon if you look at his posting history.
Well, you're poking in the dark, "must be this, must be that". You did finally got one right. I do have some resentment towards Elon for taking money for thing and never delivering (I mean never, not "it might show up one day"). Not going to list all the things here, you seem to be familiar with my post history, so you already know what they are.

He recently asked us to buy a car for his SON!
See, you misunderstood again, or looked at my offer through your own polarized lens. I offered to provide a free service to you so you can make money, not for you to subsidize my son. The offer was simple, you buy a model 3 today to $50K, you take my offer for me to insure and maintain it while my son drives it around collecting thousands of miles of data for Tesla to develop FSD, then you get your car back in 2-3 years worth $250K, as per Elon's recent claims! Maybe, just maybe, if the offer looked like me asking for a handout, it's because you know Elon's claims are simply not true? This is why I conditioned my offer - you must trust Elon, and you only make the money if Elon statements come true.

Last edited:
Just right quick, you don't understand Elon's premise. It is that self-driving cars can be hired out to make money. Given prevailing prices for ride-hailing and a given segment of time, the car could earn more than $250k.
Why on earth would Tesla sell a car for $50K in 2 years if they could just let it loose on the streets to bring back $250K? If they make 500,000 of them a year, that's $125B! Every car they sell at $50K is giving up $200K in revenue (or more, according to you). So, the only way Tesla is not getting yelled at by investors for giving up $200K per car, is if they sell the new cars at $250K, hence my offer should be appealing to you, $50K now, support Tesla by collecting data miles, when you get it back you can sell it for profit or let it bring you $250K in ride share profit.

Why on earth would Tesla sell a car for $50K in 2 years if they could just let it loose on the streets to bring back $250K? If they make 500,000 of them a year, that's $125B! Every car they sell at $50K is giving up $200K in revenue (or more, according to you). So, the only way Tesla is not getting yelled at by investors for giving up $200K per car, is if they sell the new cars at $250K, hence my offer should be appealing to you, $50K now, support Tesla by collecting data miles, when you get it back you can sell it for profit or let it bring you $250K in ride share profit.

Let me just point out that you guys are arguing over a freaking Tweet from a CEO who's known to have a history of "facts" that never come true FSD, Timelines, Production, Vehicle Options, Service Promises, etc...