Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's not only with traffic enabled. Even with it off, mine stutters like crazy. Even the turn signals and autopilot confirmation are delayed by 1-2 seconds
Do you have the dash cam feature enabled? Turning the recording off (press camera symbol on top of screen) results in near stutterless playback and instant turn signals and auto-pilot engage/disengage ding dongs. Turn it on and it's a stutter and delay bonanza. Clearly MCU1 can't keep up with the new functions.

Reactions: Trebek1762
Tesla Service provided this quote for the MCU upgrade... also included the LTE upgrade :cool:

upload_2019-6-18_20-21-50.png

Well that’s intriguing. Do you plan on going through with it?
How sure are you that this is for the mcu2?
I believe the mcu2 unit is part number 1451809-00-A
Because you most certainly will need an IC2 upgrade too and that will cost another bucket of money and almost surely isn't included in the quote they gave you.
Yeah that’s not MCU2. Google the part number. -H seems to be a relatively new part revision, but definitely not what you’re suggesting it is.
Welcome to 21 pages of this thread. This upgrade doesn't exist.
Elon tweeted it'd be offered, but it never has been and likely won't.

Well, Tesla claims that they have performed this upgrade previously with positive results in faster screen performance.
Based on the feedback here, I am very skeptical and do not plan to move forward at this time.

Reactions: chillaban
Couldn't the -H be an MCU 2 with the MCU1 form factor? Additionally, the LTE upgrade could be the updated Bluetooth and LTE to the rearview mirror?

Total speculation, but it would be timely with the latest gaming announcement.
That’s a huge stretch buddy :) almost zero chance we would see something like that suddenly happen without a long trail of firmware leaks.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and rjshar
I don’t see any reason Tesla would invest the efforts in an MCU1-2 upgrade now. All new cars are MCU2, and fewer and fewer cars on the road are MCU1. Tesla would much rather us buy new cars than upgrade existing one.

If they charge too little ($1000), they won’t recover their cost. If they charge too much ($4000), not enough people will do it and they won’t recover their cost.

I don’t think there is a way for them to do it that would make sense. It sure would be a good thing for them to do, I have an MCU1 2017 model S and knew it was slow on arrival, but kid myself that this is just a computer and that there will be an upgrade soon. I just don’t see it happening anymore. I am wrong but am afraid I am right.

• Informative
Reactions: diamonds2