Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my MCU2/HW3 upgrade yesterday. I have a couple of questions if someone can help answer that would be much appreciated:
-The traffic light/stop sign control switch is still greyed out. Navigation update was installed yesterday. Current version is NA-2020.12-11866. I have FSD. Current MCU fw is 2020.28.6. Rebooted MCU a couple of times. Is this going to eventually fix itself with time?
-When I reboot MCU now I hear a short static sound from the front speakers as the screen is going blank and another one from the back speakers few seconds later. Is that normal? It didn’t happen with MCU1
-I found a loose black screw on the floor in front of driver seat. I remember reading something about that with another person but can find it now. Did this happen to anyone else and if so did the screw critical and needed to be replaced?

Thanks.
Update: the traffic light and stop sign control is now working without any interventions. However a new issue came up with the IC screen going blank for a second and then coming back on twice while driving. Never seen this with MCU 1 which used to have random reboot of the MCU screen.

I am booked next week.
I see part # 9874562-00-B ordered.
I already have HW3.
2017 MS100D

I asked I want new screen. I don't know if above is new screen.
I was emailed I am getting IC2.

Anyone can confirm for me. Thanks.

We have the same model Tesla (Model S 100D), and mine is a September 2017 build. When I had the Infotainment Upgrade done (I had already had the HW3 module installed), here's the part number for the MCU2 with a new screen:

"Info Upgrad wit Replacement Touchscren(1582613-00-A)" Don't you love the spelling typos? (grin)

Hope this helps. I had already purchased FSD (hence the HW3 install).

We have the same model Tesla (Model S 100D), and mine is a September 2017 build. When I had the Infotainment Upgrade done (I had already had the HW3 module installed), here's the part number for the MCU2 with a new screen:

"Info Upgrad wit Replacement Touchscren(1582613-00-A)" Don't you love the spelling typos? (grin)

Hope this helps. I had already purchased FSD (hence the HW3 install).

Yes I am not getting new screen.
Getting $300 cad discount.

Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: RedOctober
0344CEB0-4A44-41E8-8C82-616251589027.jpeg
:oops:I’m going to post this here as FYI a lot of this stuff is probably redundant but my experience today after my upgrade
1) they ordered the “-a” part which came with new screen
2) my quote was $2700+200labor +200 tax

after explaining that I didn’t want the new screen and telling them that i should get a $250 discount ..the service advisor went on to explain that the $2500 cost was just for Mcu and new screen was an additional $200 lol :eek: and I needed to pay labor as well

after much jerking around the shop foreman found some tech bulletin that Tesla has that specifically says labor is included in the 2500 cost ..AND there is a customer option to use old screen and get a discount ($250)
They wouldnt share the bulletin number with me but here is my final bill that hopefully will help someone getting jerked around :oops:

Last edited:
View attachment 575225 :oops:I’m going to post this here as FYI a lot of this stuff is probably redundant but my experience today after my upgrade
1) they ordered the “-a” part which came with new screen
2) my quote was $2700+200labor +200 tax

after explaining that I didn’t want the new screen and telling them that i should get a $250 discount ..the service advisor went on to explain that the $2500 cost was just for Mcu and new screen was an additional $200 lol :eek: and I needed to pay labor as well

after much jerking around the shop foreman found some tech bulletin that Tesla has that specifically says labor is included in the 2500 cost ..AND there is a customer option to use old screen and get a discount ($250)
They wouldnt share the bulletin number with me but here is my final bill that hopefully will help someone getting jerked around :oops:

This isn't true and just sounds like the SA was unclear about the bulletin. The $2500 "-A" part number includes the MCU2, IC (if needed), screen, and labor. The screen is not an additional cost on top of that. That's why the discount is $250 off the $2500, not "you don't pay the additional $250 it would have cost if it you opted for it."

I was quoted $2500 today for it and I explicitly asked if the screen was included after hearing of the stories here of the "-B" model, and the advisor said it was.

This isn't true and just sounds like the SA was unclear about the bulletin. The $2500 "-A" part number includes the MCU2, IC (if needed), screen, and labor. The screen is not an additional cost on top of that. That's why the discount is $250 off the $2500, not "you don't pay the additional $250 it would have cost if it you opted for it."

I was quoted $2500 today for it and I explicitly asked if the screen was included after hearing of the stories here of the "-B" model, and the advisor said it was.

understood that’s why I spent a lot of time pushing these guys mine was only the second one done at the Palm spring SC i wasn’t going to pay the original quote ;)

With MCU1, when navigation voice came on, it used to mute the other audio (such as music playing) from the front speakers so that navigation voice is clear. After upgrading to MCU2, this doesn’t not happen. Both sounds are mixed in the front speakers and therefore navigation voice is not clear. Anyone else noticed this issue?

I had the MCU 2 upgrade and FSD computer installation performed last week (after purchasing the FSD in June) at the Centinela Service Center in Los Angeles on my December 2016 P100D Model S and I've got mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm completely satisfied with the responsiveness of the touchscreen and all the new features I finally have, and the FSD visualization is pretty amazing (when it works... that's another issue).But on the other hand, I knew I'd be losing XM radio and I already miss it... it's just not the same having to stream it from my phone, it's a bit cumbersome and I would prefer to control it from the touchscreen.

*** But my biggest frustration (read anger) is the fact that shortly after getting my car after the upgrade I noticed the yellowing border issue I've been reading about for years, yet never having that problem with my original MCU. And that's after I explicitly asked my advisor when I picked up my car if the yellowing will be an issue for me at some point, which he replied "No". I had already driven a 1/4 mile from the service center as I was rushing off to an appointment so I couldn't return the car/refuse acceptance of it after the service. I have been in communication with them and they say they will address this issue, but I'm concerned I paid for a refurbished or faulty new MCU2. Anyone have any suggestions for my situation?

I had the MCU 2 upgrade and FSD computer installation performed last week (after purchasing the FSD in June) at the Centinela Service Center in Los Angeles on my December 2016 P100D Model S and I've got mixed feelings. On one hand, I'm completely satisfied with the responsiveness of the touchscreen and all the new features I finally have, and the FSD visualization is pretty amazing (when it works... that's another issue).But on the other hand, I knew I'd be losing XM radio and I already miss it... it's just not the same having to stream it from my phone, it's a bit cumbersome and I would prefer to control it from the touchscreen.

*** But my biggest frustration (read anger) is the fact that shortly after getting my car after the upgrade I noticed the yellowing border issue I've been reading about for years, yet never having that problem with my original MCU. And that's after I explicitly asked my advisor when I picked up my car if the yellowing will be an issue for me at some point, which he replied "No". I had already driven a 1/4 mile from the service center as I was rushing off to an appointment so I couldn't return the car/refuse acceptance of it after the service. I have been in communication with them and they say they will address this issue, but I'm concerned I paid for a refurbished or faulty new MCU2. Anyone have any suggestions for my situation?

If you paid for a new replacement w/screen and you noticed it immediately I would strongly suspect they put a used or refurb MCU2 or (at minimum) a new MCU2 with a used/refurb screen in your car at full price. That yellow border issue takes time and if it was a "new" MCU2/screen there's no way for that to happen instantly. Sounds like s'more shady ish being pulled by Tesla.

If you paid for a new replacement w/screen and you noticed it immediately I would strongly suspect they put a used or refurb MCU2 or (at minimum) a new MCU2 with a used/refurb screen in your car at full price. That yellow border issue takes time and if it was a "new" MCU2/screen there's no way for that to happen instantly. Sounds like s'more shady ish being pulled by Tesla.

Thanks, I didn't know that the yellow band takes awhile to form, definitely sounds like they gave me a refurb and now I'm furious. Wish I were a lawyer so I could some fancy language to get their attention. It's hard enough to get any direct communication with them without a way to get ahold of someone there and Covid prevents me from just walking in.

They probably moved the screen from your MCU1 to your MCU2 and you just hadn't noticed the yellow border had started to form. What parts were listed on your invoice?

I had asked them before I got in my car if they used my old screen or if it's a new screen, they said it was new. I don't trust a word they say anymore tho, so who knows. But I can guarantee my old MCU didn't have a yellow band even close to this anyway, it's like night and day.

The Tesla email with part info says:
Parts Received
  1. MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0- NA
    Part #: 9874562-00-A
    Delivered: July 15, 2020

I had asked them before I got in my car if they used my old screen or if it's a new screen, they said it was new. I don't trust a word they say anymore tho, so who knows. But I can guarantee my old MCU didn't have a yellow band even close to this anyway, it's like night and day.

The Tesla email with part info says:
Parts Received
  1. MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0- NA
    Part #: 9874562-00-A
    Delivered: July 15, 2020
How much did they charge you for the upgrade?

OK, I have a new one for you guys or maybe I just missed it.

I already have HW3/FSD installed and I set up an appointment to have the Infotainment upgrade installed. I just received a text from the person I ordered the MCU2 through at the SC and he told me that since I already have HW3 I am ineligible for the Infotainment upgrade. But, that they are hoping that by the end of the year that customers that have HW3/FSD will be eligible. o_O

I replied that I know several people (you guys) that have both installed. So far no reply.

Thoughts??

• Informative