Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Code:
Spare Blocks Remaining [SPARE_BLOCKS_LEFT]: 199
Just two week ago at our annual service (we had the 4 years service plan):

Code:
eMMC Vitals
Manufacturer ID: 0x90
Name: H8G2d
Hardware rev: 0x0
Serial: 0x1837f418
Manufacturing Date: 01/2016
FW Version: 0x0
Life Estimation A: --
Life Estimation B: 0x8
Pre EOL Info: --
FTL Errors: --
MLC Avg Block Erases: 2180
Reserved Blocks: 81

Performed Autodiag MCU. Autodiag: No trouble found.
I had requested a daughterboard swap on warranty to no avail because of these diagnoses results.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks!

I haven’t decided if I want to spend the $2,650 (tax) on MCU2, but would hate to put a new MCU1 in only to switch it out a month later or something. If they had a program for those with failed MC1’s (since the $2.5k includes labor and the warranty is essentially taking care of that) I’d be more apt to just do it now.

$2,650 is an INSANE amount of money to spend on a repair like this. I really should have taken that money, bought 10 shares of Tesla stock instead, and then used the ~$5,000 as a down payment on a newer Tesla. Part of me thinks that's part of the plan to drive the new car sales numbers up.

There's been talk in the thread justifying the cost, and I went through that rationalization too and bit the bullet. I wish I hadn't though. The folks in the 3rd party emmc repair community have been offering a stellar service and shown Tesla that outright replacement is not the only solution, hence, Tesla now offering the emmc repair (was not an option for me at the time :( )

well, you still have almost 2/3 of projected life left in your EMMC...
Nice, I didn't know that!

But then the recurring problems we are experiencing, like missing characters and other distortions on the MCU, or complete loss of the audio system including the turn signal and autopilot sounds, which can not be brought back by a reset of the MCU or ICU, but only by completely powering down the vehicle, are obviously no sign of a failing eMMC and just simply software bugs, likely connected to the current software not that suitable for the MCU1 anymore?

Day 3 - maybe they will figure out how to d/l the new firmware today
Day 3 - maybe they will figure out how to d/l the new firmware today

They got it figured out on Day 3 - Good news is everything worked, I ran thru the checklist on TeslaTAP - Remote operation/wifi/bluetooth/USB/audio/TeslaCam/keyfobs. I balked at $20 price for changing key fob batteries and told them I would do myself and they ended up just giving me the batteries no charge. ;-)

Now I just have to figure out how to use the new stop and go feature when approaching traffic signals ;-).

Very nice to have TeslaCam now, as well as all the other improvements. Autopilot seems to be a little crisper, but that could just be placebo effect.

For some reason I had thought from other posts that the backup camera would also show side views, but that is not the case. Please let me know if I should be seeing side view camera during backup?

They also gave me more $200 in Uber credits, the first day they gave me $100 as service was supposed to be done by 5pm. Then when it was clear they weren't going to be done in 1 day they gave me addition $200 credit. So don't be afraid to ask for more Uber credits, I had originally asked for a loaner as well, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

But then the recurring problems we are experiencing, like missing characters and other distortions on the MCU, or complete loss of the audio system including the turn signal and autopilot sounds, which can not be brought back by a reset of the MCU or ICU, but only by completely powering down the vehicle, are obviously no sign of a failing eMMC and just simply software bugs, likely connected to the current software not that suitable for the MCU1 anymore

Those just sound like bugs, I had all sorts of visual bugs on my previous (MCU1 based) X. I just returned a 2014-era loaner also on 2014 and it was unbearably slow. Did not lose audio but rebooted on me once. I think total loss of audio is uncommon as a emmc breakage symptom?

I just picked up my 2017 MS from the service center last night. They performed the MCU2 and FSD upgrade. I am sure I am repeating a lot of things already stated, but this is my feedback on the experience.

The service was listed on the invoice as:
Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.5 To Intel MCU And Autopilot 3.0 (Model S)
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5- NA(9874561-00-A)
NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK(1012845-00-A)
Info Upgrad wit Replacement Touchscren(1582613-00-A)

Cost was $2500 ($2706.25 with taxes)

I was really surprised that almost all my settings were transferred over and still intact. My profile with seating positions, the easy entry profile, all my streaming audio presets, locations settings in navigation, and homelink settings were all carried over to the new MCU2. The only things missing was my Bluetooth entry for my phone and the Wi-Fi entries.

The audio on the new MCU2 definitely sends more bass to the front speakers. I have the Basic audio system. I moved the balance slider about 40% towards the back and it sounds great. The volume is a bit lower in which I used to normally run at about a 3 to 4 on the volume and I now run at 5 to 6.

I noticed the visualizations of car movement around my car are a lot more accurate as well. The previous setup would have the cars bow in and out in the lanes beside my car making it look like the cars were about to ram my car or drove way outside their lanes. The left side is accurate with no bowing of the representation of cars to my left now and the right only has a tiny amount of outward bowing for cars on my right. I have previously ran the calibration while still on AP2.5/MCU1 in the past and it did not help. The new FSD/MCU2 seems to have cleared up the issue.

The rear camera is darker than it used to be, but honestly I think it looks better. The old view used to look washed out like the brightness was cranked up. The side repeaters still look the same and still look too bright in my opinion.

Overall, I am very happy with the upgrade so far.

Reactions: jlv1 and mspohr
I can hardly believe it, but a couple of pages back people started talking about screen replacement or keeping old screen with hw2 upgrade, replacing daughter board only to keep a good screen, etc., And literally the next day, I got my first yellow borders!I getting worse at an exponential rate. I already had this screen replaced once due to the bubble problem, and now i have the yellow :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Just picked up my '13 S from the Dublin SC after getting the MCU2 upgrade (among other repairs that unfortunately took weeks for parts to arrive). It is seriously like night and day and honestly makes it feel like a brand new car. EVERYTHING is much, much more snappy and nearly immediate, no more screen yellowing, no worry about MCU dying, LTE now, Netflix is a bonus, audio sounds great (noticeably more bass), no rear camera issues.. Makes the car feel like the Model S I was hoping to get on the cheaper side of things, being a '13.

So yeah, highly recommend the upgrade, even if you're on a pre-AP S. I don't regret it in the slightest.

Glad your happy, try the rear camera at night with low lighting. It's very hard to see anything without additional illumination.

I was driving the car home last night at about 10 PM, so it was plenty dark out. While there were some lights from other cars, I still felt it was a great image. Also, when backing in to the garage with very little clearance at the rear and not very well lit with only the light from the garage door opener poorly illuminating the garage, I still had no issues backing in.

EDIT: Typo

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr