Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades, MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades, MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades

That the Infotainment Upgrade does not include labor, does not include the rear camera jumper, always includes new screen and no option to reduce the price by $250 when keeping your current screen.

I was just scheduled for the upgrade and I got an email about parts ordered for my visit, and it shows, mcu upgrade without screen, I haven’t gotten any invoice or estimate to show whether I’m being charged $2500 or $2250

So my question is; do they possibly have “screens” on hand and don’t need to order one to do my upgrade..?

Or will they reuse my current screen..? If I’m charged the full $2500 do I then Inquire..?

I predict you will get the usual estimate before you drop off your car. And it will say $2250 without and $2500 with new screen.
You SC doesn't yet know what your screen looks like. So they are covered their bases, until they can advise you.

Your TMC signature does not hint what year your car is. I can see from your avatar pic you have a '16/17 maybe an early '18 S. So, your S falls in that group that had the yellow border on the screen. If they can, they will try to use your old screen and the price will be $2250+ tax. Or if it looks yellowing, they will encourage you to take the new screen and the price will be $2500+ tax.

Is your car close to warranty end? The warranty on the MCU2 is now 2 years/25,000 miles. You decide, is it worth the $250 diff to go ahead and get the new screen that includes the warranty (yellowing or not) or take the chance it won't fail in time the other parts of the MCU2 has under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: Shane23
I predict you will get the usual estimate before you drop off your car. And it will say $2250 without and $2500 with new screen.
You SC doesn't yet know what your screen looks like. So they are covered their bases, until they can advise you.

Your TMC signature does not hint what year your car is. I can see from your avatar pic you have a '16/17 maybe an early '18 S. So, your S falls in that group that had the yellow border on the screen. If they can, they will try to use your old screen and the price will be $2250+ tax. Or if it looks yellowing, they will encourage you to take the new screen and the price will be $2500+ tax.

Is your car close to warranty end? The warranty on the MCU2 is now 2 years/25,000 miles. You decide, is it worth the $250 diff to go ahead and get the new screen that includes the warranty (yellowing or not) or take the chance it won't fail in time the other parts of the MCU2 has under warranty.

Thank you, perfect answer lol..

I have a Early 2018 MS, screen doesn’t appear to be yellowing, but for $250 I’ll just get the new one if offered..My mind was already set on spending the $2500 anyway..

However I have the 2 years/100,000 warranty started in July.. and if I’m understanding you correctly, warranty should cover my current screen for 2 years anyway? Just keep current screen and use $250 towards the tax? Since the warranty coverage is about the same time frame.

thanks in advance

Thank you, perfect answer lol..

I have a Early 2018 MS, screen doesn’t appear to be yellowing, but for $250 I’ll just get the new one if offered..My mind was already set on spending the $2500 anyway..

However I have the 2 years/100,000 warranty started in July.. and if I’m understanding you correctly, warranty should cover my current screen for 2 years anyway? Just keep current screen and use $250 towards the tax? Since the warranty coverage is about the same time frame.

thanks in advance
Yes, in your case, I would use my old screen and save the $250 for something else - maybe FM radio ?

Reactions: Shane23
Tesla updated the Infotainment Upgrade information to now include the ability to retain FM/SiriusXM capability with the upgrade. If you have already upgraded, you can now go back and have the compatible tuner added. It not real clear but it appears there is not additional cost if you do it at the time of your upgrade. If you already had the upgraded completed, you can go back and have the tuner upgraded for no additional cost...It's not clear if there are any additional labor charges if you have it installed after the fact.

My vehicle has already undergone an Infotainment Upgrade. Is it possible for me to purchase a compatible radio tuner installation now?
Yes. The purchase and installation of the compatible radio tuner and antennas can be done on vehicles that have already undergone Infotainment Upgrade. For vehicles that have not yet undergone an Infotainment Upgrade, it is recommended to have both the Infotainment Upgrade and compatible radio tuner installation done at the same time. There is no difference in price if the installations are done at the same time or separately.
Infotainment Upgrade

Tesla updated the Infotainment Upgrade information to now include the ability to retain FM/SiriusXM capability with the upgrade. If you have already upgraded, you can now go back and have the compatible tuner added. It not real clear but it appears there is not additional cost if you do it at the time of your upgrade. If you already had the upgraded completed, you can go back and have the tuner upgraded for no additional cost...It's not clear if there are any additional labor charges if you have it installed after the fact.

My vehicle has already undergone an Infotainment Upgrade. Is it possible for me to purchase a compatible radio tuner installation now?
Yes. The purchase and installation of the compatible radio tuner and antennas can be done on vehicles that have already undergone Infotainment Upgrade. For vehicles that have not yet undergone an Infotainment Upgrade, it is recommended to have both the Infotainment Upgrade and compatible radio tuner installation done at the same time. There is no difference in price if the installations are done at the same time or separately.
Infotainment Upgrade
That’s a step in me being willing to consider doing it. What I read that to say is there IS a cost, but the cost is the same whether you have it done at the same time, or done later. My bet is this carries an additional fee.

Definitely an additional fee. Same additional fee if done at the same time or different time. No mention yet of the official fee. Some rumors of around $500.

Also, "Later in Q4 2020", it will be possible to retain access to FM radio and Sirius XM radiowith an additional Radio Upgrade, which includes the installation of a compatible radio tuner and antennas. It is not possible to retain access to AM radio.

Not yet available.

Infotainment Upgrade

Thanks for posting this! My car is in service right now. I am going to check about the tuner.
I am not sure I need FM at all, but I'll check the price.

Thanks for posting this! My car is in service right now. I am going to check about the tuner.

I am scheduled for Tuesday to have the MCU2 installed. I was speaking with the service center Saturday. As of that time, the radio was not available. I don't know when Tesla updated this information and if the service center knows yet. Please let me know what you find out.

Reactions: DriveMe
I've been trying to get mobile app remote unlock working again for weeks (phone support, chat, calling to the service center that did the upgrade, mobile tech). Still not working.

Does anyone know the magic phrase or words that Tesla will understand to resolve this issue? I've tried remote mcu command key reset (which the mobile tech performed) and explaining the issue. Nothing has worked. It's not working to the point even the mobile ranger/tech couldn't unlock the car from his side.

...it will be possible to retain access to FM radio and Sirius XM radio with an additional Radio Upgrade, which includes the installation of a compatible radio tuner and antennas...

I think they mean to say includes installation of the tuner and connection of the antennas. If they would install antennas I would have them retrofit an XM antenna in my car as XM was not an option in the glass roof when I purchased.

I wonder what would happen you put an XM tuner in a non XM tuner car ( with the gateway configured for a tuner). Is it recognized? I also wonder assuming the gateway sees it, would the standard audio setup access it or would only premium know what to do?

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki