Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tires are a safety item also. If you get a flat, you pull over and have it repaired.

If a radiator hose or water pump fail, you pull over and have it repaired.

My headlight switch in my BMW (smartly coded to the VIN so it cannot be replaced cheaply) failed and I didn't drive it until it was repaired.

Not the same thing... the NHTSA investigation will concur. :cool:

Reactions: croman
Looks like they are now showing that a radio upgrade is available Q4 2020. Still no official rollout for AP1 cars on the website but many AP1 users have received the MCU2 upgrade and the dealership told me it was available for my AP1 car.
Tesla radio.jpg

More info and additional FAQ are updated on the page as well: Infotainment Upgrade

Last edited:
Looks like they are now showing that a radio upgrade is available Q4 2020.

Interesting that they say that antennas need replaced as well:

Is there any way to keep access to AM, FM and Sirius XM radio?
Yes. Later in Q4 2020, it will be possible to retain access to FM radio and Sirius XM radio with an additional Radio Upgrade, which includes the installation of a compatible radio tuner and antennas. It is not possible to retain access to AM radio.

Note: Sirius XM radio is only available on vehicles with existing XM radio antennas and requires an additional subscription.

Also, no discount if both upgrade are done at the same time:

My vehicle has already undergone an Infotainment Upgrade. Is it possible for me to purchase a compatible radio tuner installation now?
Yes. The purchase and installation of the compatible radio tuner and antennas can be done on vehicles that have already undergone Infotainment Upgrade. For vehicles that have not yet undergone an Infotainment Upgrade, it is recommended to have both the Infotainment Upgrade and compatible radio tuner installation done at the same time. There is no difference in price if the installations are done at the same time or separately.

But no mention of the price for the radio tuner upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay
@MP3Mike, they might be talking about a jumper to enable the FM radio antena. I had to add a unique Y double to single cable to mine to connect the two antennas MCU1 Tuner1 uses to MCU2 M3 Tuner2 when installing it in mine. My car is ready. I just need my gateway configuration changed from settings that MCU1 had to MCU2 digital tuner enabled. Maybe they will do it in a software update as a prepositioning advance setting now, and mine will suddenly (some day) work.

MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades, MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades, MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades

I think we need to remind each other often that, just because we hear something from one Tesla employee, one Service Advisor, on Technician or a Salesperson, that it doesn't make it so. We hear people repeat or report that some Tesla person said this or that and its so wild, it could not be accurate. Let's just remember, not everyone working at Tesla as the industrial strength corporate knowledge to comprehend or understand what many of us know from our (often) much longer knowledge or following Tesla. One lower level local employee don't always mean - sometimes, but not always make it correct.

In just the last 5 pages of this thread, I read:

MCU warranty has been changed from 2 years (changed from 4 to 2 in early June) to now 1 year.(Not so, look it up).

Holding the brake pedal while rebooting does nothing by keep the car from moving while rebooting. (To you newbies, we've shared with each other that techs around the world have encouraged this as its a deeper boot, closer to a shutdown) for years - since 2012-13.

That the Infotainment Upgrade does not include labor, does not include the rear camera jumper, always includes new screen and no option to reduce the price by $250 when keeping your current screen.

My point it simple. You are welcome to say someone said these things even though some things make no sense particularly based on years of the contrary. Just remember, just because one local to you person said it, don't make it so. Maybe you are right, but don't get upset when we don't believe it or that we want to see prove. :)

MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades, MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades, MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades
Since this thread is about "MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrades" I had to say something 'bout that too, so Bruce would not fuss at me. Keep up the good work, @bmah Keep us on track, please.

Not directed to anyone in particular. Certainly don't wish to offend anyone. Just a nudge to remember.

@MP3Mike, they might be talking about a jumper to enable the FM radio antena. I had to add a unique Y double to single cable to mine to connect the two antennas MCU1 Tuner1 uses to MCU2 M3 Tuner2 when installing it in mine. My car is ready. I just need my gateway configuration changed from settings that MCU1 had to MCU2 digital tuner enabled. Maybe they will do it in a software update as a prepositioning advance setting now, and mine will suddenly (some day) work.
Tesla cannot “pre-program” the tuner2 in advance of actually having the tuner. If they were to enable the tuner2 in gateway and you didn’t actually have the tuner in-place, software updates/deployments would fail because tuner wouldn’t be communicable on the Ethernet network. So you need to have tuner2 present, AND, gateway needs to be set to talk to it - before it can work. But yes, if you already have tuner2 installed, and the wiring is done, perhaps you can convince the service center to just ‘enable’ it and save yourself a bunch of labor costs.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Tires are a safety item also. If you get a flat, you pull over and have it repaired.

If a radiator hose or water pump fail, you pull over and have it repaired.

My headlight switch in my BMW (smartly coded to the VIN so it cannot be replaced cheaply) failed and I didn't drive it until it was repaired.

This argument doesn't hold water. Tires and radiator hoses are wear items with an averaged life expectancy range (e.g. under normal use, the part should last x number of years/miles). One-off failures of things like tires, hoses, or even the water pump or headlight switch should be a customer replacement. However - if a higher than expected percertage of cars from a given model run have failing headlight switches due to a manufacturing defect, you can be certain it will be a recalled item. If it's a component that impacts the safety of the car, the NHTSA will get involved.

The decision to drive the car or not drive the car is irrelevant.

As for tires, one only needs to look at Bridgestone when they produced tires that were prematurely failing and yes they issued a voluntary recall for them before the NHTSA mandated one.

Reactions: plumazul
Tesla cannot “pre-program” the tuner2 in advance of actually having the tuner. If they were to enable the tuner2 in gateway and you didn’t actually have the tuner in-place, software updates/deployments would fail because tuner wouldn’t be communicable on the Ethernet network. So you need to have tuner2 present, AND, gateway needs to be set to talk to it - before it can work. But yes, if you already have tuner2 installed, and the wiring is done, perhaps you can convince the service center to just ‘enable’ it and save yourself a bunch of labor costs.

@kdday, ahhhhhhh, Duh - I should thought of that. THANKS.

Given the cost in Europe and usual cost differences between countries, expect something such as 400USD

The UK website quotes £470 for the radio update.

Is anything removed with the Infotainment Upgrade?
Yes. You will no longer have access to AM, FM or DAB radio. You will still have access to internet radio and music streaming, including streaming over Bluetooth ®.
AM, FM or DAB+ will be available with a tuner retrofit for £ 470 later this year.

Infotainment Upgrade

...AM, FM or DAB+ will be available with a tuner retrofit for £ 470 later this year...
This is curious wording by Tesla. I would think FM in North America, DAB+ in Europe, Australia and maybe Asia where DAB+ pilots are deployed, but AM nowhere.

Why would AM be mentioned? Do any countries have an AM mandate? Why else would Tesla say AM? Maybe their marketing communication group just copy and pasted from the list of removed tuners?

Last edited:
This is curious wording by Tesla. I would think FM in North America, DAB+ in Europe, Australia and maybe Asia where DAB+ pilots are deployed, but AM nowhere.

Why would AM be mentioned? Do any countries have an AM mandate? Why else would Tesla say AM? Maybe their marketing communication group just copy and pasted from the list of removed tuners?
I think you’re right. I don’t know of any mcu2 compatible tuners that have AM bands.

hi all, new to all this.

Got a 2017 facelift s75 this week, but it has no power tail-lift.

I was wondering if its still a thing that these cars arent eligible for a mcu2 upgrade as its something i want to get done
Congrats! And welcome! I’d suggest scheduling an appointment through the app and request the upgrade. That’s the best way to know what your service center will do.