Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about the MCU2's being replaced at $1500 (the topic of this thread)? Will they have yellowing, bubbling/leaking later on or is it that all these issues have been fixed on these MCU2's?

The bubbling/leaking was fixed long ago, though that introduced the yellowing, which I think was resolved in mid to late 2019. So current screens shouldn't suffer from either problem.

Reactions: Akikiki and Michelx
Yikes! This is the first I've hear of MCU2 having the yellowing issue. Our MCU1 screen had minor yellowing which is now gone with our MCU2 screen.
MCU2 most def has the yellowing thing. Mine happened about 18 months in. Easy to spot if you turn off satellite view.

Also my center (dash) display has a yellow border as well. They don't have a fix for that one as far as I know.

This is the email just received:

upload_2021-3-5_13-8-3.png

I tried and it says I'm not eligible. Because tesla never "diagnosed" mine as failing and I voluntarily upgraded. Since mine wasn't fully black I knew they wouldn't do anything
Yeah. Same here. Disappointing.

I looked closer and the link seems to be per account, not per VIN. It actually shows multiple vehicles on the account. All ours are ineligible for refunds, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
Very. I didn't want to go through the hassle (out of warranty) trying to get them to diagnose it and say it's fine and send me packing. I guess if I had, I could have saved $500

From reading the FAQ you would only qualify for the reimbursement if you had it diagnosed, and upgraded, when you weren't covered by a warranty, the warranty enhancement program, or the recall.

Yeah. Same here. Disappointing.

I looked closer and the link seems to be per account, not per VIN. It actually shows multiple vehicles on the account. All ours are ineligible for refunds, of course.
My MCU Failure didn't go completely black. it hung up several times and had to be rebooted while driving. I reached out and said I had symptoms of an MCU failure and told them what was happening. It says I am eligible for reimbursement. whew!

I have not had much luck with my Model S lately. Besides the $2650 (tax included) for the MCU, a few months later in October - $900 needed for tires (they lasted just 10 months), December $800 for a battery heater, January 12v battery $220, February $500 rear axle seals leaking, Just 2 days ago - Driver side door handle (3rd generation without microswitches).... I told my wife I am about to divorce Tess and order a new Model 3.