Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$500 wouldn't be enough to make us whole. We wouldn't have spent $117000 on a FSD-capable Model S had we known they weren't really going to enable FSD on it.

Just a quick estimate but there are 50,000 or more AP2/MCU1 Model S that were delivered between November 2016 and August 2017. That doesn't include the thousands of Model X delivered in that same period. If we went back and got the exact numbers, we might find 80000 or more cars with AP2/MCU1. There are also tens of thousands more Model S and Model X delivered between August 2017 and March 2018 that have AP2.5 and MCU1. While those won't be as difficult to upgrade, none of them have been upgraded yet.

We've been waiting 3 years for our FSD and others who bought weeks ago have already been upgraded.

Sorry but if you spent 117k for the sole purpose of FSD, that’s on you. The FSD portion of that vehicle did NOT cost 117k. There was also fine print about regulatory approval, etc.

If you really felt that way, you should have asked for your money back right at the end of that year since FSD wasn’t out yet. You can’t use the vehicle for years and then say you want to return it. That’s like eating 99% of a meal and then want your money back.

And again, I’m only talking about people who actually PURCHASED FSD. Before the fire sale, I had heard from someone on TMC that it was about a 20% take rate for FSD. I don’t know what it was after that sale.

Besides, other than displaying traffic cones, I don’t think that autopilot works any better on HW3 vs 2. That may change shortly with Elons latest tweet however about holiday preview.

Last edited:
Sorry but if you spent 117k for the sole purpose of FSD, that’s on you. The FSD portion of that vehicle did NOT cost 117k. There was also fine print about regulatory approval, etc.

If you really felt that way, you should have asked for your money back right at the end of that year since FSD wasn’t out yet. You can’t use the vehicle for years and then say you want to return it. That’s like eating 99% of a meal and then want your money back.

And again, I’m only talking about people who actually PURCHASED FSD. Before the fire sale, I had heard from someone on TMC that it was about a 20% take rate for FSD. I don’t know what it was after that sale.

Besides, other than displaying traffic cones, I don’t think that autopilot works any better on HW3 vs 2. That may change shortly with Elons latest tweet however about holiday preview.
I wasn't expecting it by the end of 2016, but I was expecting it. 3 years later and we still don't have it and ithe delay hasn't been due to regulatory approval.

You are correct though about the numbers. I was pointing out the 50k to 80k or more actual cars with AP2/MCU1. Not everyone purchased it originally.

We have AP2, AP2.5 and AP3 and they are pretty similar currently.

I wasn't expecting it by the end of 2016, but I was expecting it. 3 years later and we still don't have it and ithe delay hasn't been due to regulatory approval.

You are correct though about the numbers. I was pointing out the 50k to 80k or more actual cars with AP2/MCU1. Not everyone purchased it originally.

Yes I know that. Hence why I said “regulatory approval, etc.”. I don’t believe they sighted regulatory approval as the only reason for delay in the fine print.

And in the meantime, you most likely used the car quite a bit. To expect a full refund of the entire vehicle is ridiculous.

We have AP2, AP2.5 and AP3 and they are pretty similar currently.

And the fact that MCU2 cars are being upgraded now. Before people who purchased years ago. wtf

And the fact that MCU2 cars are being upgraded now. Before people who purchased years ago. wtf

Because evidently they have it figured out for MCU 2 and HW 2.5 cars now and not ours.

Do you think they should wait to start swapping any until they can do ours first? That’s ridiculous and only slows down the entire swap time.

Last edited:

The way things are going, Elon will declare FSD feature complete and that is all you're going to get. For precedent, see the summon description for AP1.0 and see what has actually been delivered. In case of FSD, they have way more legal CYA with all the fine print, than what they had on AP1, P85D power specs, all 60 & 85 battery capacity specs - all of which they already got away with (with a small exception of P85D lawsuit in Europe).
View attachment 490552

I don't know how many with any amount of reasoning can disagree with this statement. Just look at what was defined as FSD / EAP prior to 2019 and you can see it's already been nerfed to h-ll and back. Just so everyone doesn't have to go searching the way back machine I present to you the previous definition of FSD / EAP before said neutering.

Enhanced Autopilot.png

The article quotes Elon stating this:

MCU (infotainment computer) upgrade not recommended in my opinion. Isn’t needed for full self-driving and cost is ~$2,000 for limited entertainment improvements.

Elon is right. I don't really care about Youtube or Cuphead. I have a phone.

The only "improvement" I would pay for is the ability to revert to V8.

MCU1/V8 were the perfect match.

$500 wouldn't be enough to make us whole. We wouldn't have spent $117000 on a FSD-capable Model S had we known they weren't really going to enable FSD on it.

Just a quick estimate but there are 50,000 or more AP2/MCU1 Model S that were delivered between November 2016 and August 2017. That doesn't include the thousands of Model X delivered in that same period. If we went back and got the exact numbers, we might find 80000 or more cars with AP2/MCU1. There are also tens of thousands more Model S and Model X delivered between August 2017 and March 2018 that have AP2.5 and MCU1. While those won't be as difficult to upgrade, none of them have been upgraded yet.

We've been waiting 3 years for our FSD and others who bought weeks ago have already been upgraded.

This is little sad. If people knew those cars will never get the self driving feature, they might have bought a different car too and not spend 117,000 with the hope to get FSD soon. Those who leased it for 3 years likely saw nothing during their ownership.
I'd think true FSD will need to have lidar, nto just cameras. but I could be wrong.

But were these 50k - 80k people not part of the lawsuit that was settled for few hundred dollars for each affected buyers?
If they were not, is there another one covering the FSD buyers?

Last edited:
This is little sad. If people knew those cars will never get the self driving feature, they might have bought a different car too and not spend 117,000 with the hope to get FSD soon. Those who leased it for 3 years likely saw nothing during their ownership.
I'd think true FSD will need to have lidar, nto just cameras. but I could be wrong.

But were these 50k - 80k people not part of the lawsuit that was settled for few hundred dollars for each affected buyers?
If they were not, is there another one covering the FSD buyers?
The class action lawsuit just covered Enhanced Autopilot, not Full Self-Driving. We opted out of the EAP lawsuit...

Reactions: dbldwn02
If they really couldn’t get AP2/MCU 1 cars to have FSD, I’d just refund those FSD owners the money plus maybe another $500 or so. Not that big of deal. There probably are not THAT many. (And I am a AP2/MCU1 owner who purchased FSD during the fire sale.)
I paid $48,000 to traded in my 2015 S90D on an December 2016 AP2/MCU 1 car with the promise that FSD would be delivered by the end of 2017, then 2018, and now 2019 which Elon will not meet. I was an early FSD adopter that paid $2,000 more than others that got the fire sale price.

Elon needs to give me the FSD that he promised. Giving me only $500 will not be acceptable.

I paid $48,000 to traded in my 2015 S90D on an December 2016 AP2/MCU 1 car with the promise that FSD would be delivered by the end of 2017, then 2018, and now 2019 which Elon will not meet. I was an early FSD adopter that paid $2,000 more than others that got the fire sale price.

Elon needs to give me the FSD that he promised. Giving me only $500 will not be acceptable.

So you traded in a one year old Tesla Model S for another Tesla Model S and lost 48k for the sole reason of FSD that wasn’t even available? So you paid (lost) 48k + FSD for no other reason? Knowing full well that the biggest depreciation hits are on the first couple years of new car ownership? Wow.

Last edited: