Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except that the MCU1 eMMC dies every 4 years and requires ~$4k to replace..... at that point might as well upgrade at half cost to something actually robust, has a working browser (which was basically removed w/ v9+), and doesn't take 20+ secs to load the map.

There is no concrete evidence that supports the claim that the emmc dies every 4 years in fact there are alot of these cars still doing just fine

It also doesn't cost ~$4k to replace. Last I saw it was ~$2k.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I don't think Elon actually understands the differences since he only uses MCU2 now. Working web browser, significantly faster nav routing, and of course all the current and future streaming apps, caroake. He is probably just talking out his ass and has no idea that SC aren't or can't do the MCU2 upgrade. He must mean technically sure you could and is just quoting the price for a MCU1 replacement. And why is he lying about HW3 working with MCU1. It clearly doesn't at the moment.

Looks like we have a price attached so maybe that means something?View attachment 489781

If the MCU2 isnt needed for FSD then I see absolutely no reason for them to ever want too upgrade MCU1 to MCU2. This post has more bad news than good IMO. Much better making someone pay for a new vehicle than a simple 2K Hardware upgrade.

How does a billionaire have any idea whether a $2000 upgrade is worth it or not? Do we really think he has any objective insight into what his customer base truly thinks is worth investing in? People buy $1000+ phones annually to get "the latest and greatest tech." Most of those people don't need that upgrade, they just want it.
Which is part of the problem. Elon doesnt care about the "old" cars so it's not a huge surprise at all. He wants everyone to buy new teslas and not fix or upgrade the outdated ones. He may say he wants a car that lasts 1 million miles but does he really? I think not.

How does a billionaire have any idea whether a $2000 upgrade is worth it or not? Do we really think he has any objective insight into what his customer base truly thinks is worth investing in? People buy $1000+ phones annually to get "the latest and greatest tech." Most of those people don't need that upgrade, they just want it.
I think it's cute the way every fool on the intertubes thinks that they can fathom the motivations of a man who is not only orders of magnitude more intelligent than they are, but also gets more done in the opening hours of his day than they have accomplished in their entire lives.

Well look at the types of things Tesla has to deal with regarding regulations!!! --->

https://i.imgur.com/ca5MIXi.jpg

ca5MIXi.jpg
Yea, but they implied that all they had to do is validation (there was a video too showing car self driving in 2016, using AP2.0, not slamming into any parked cars, being able to see stop signs, etc). Do you believe they had the code that did all that since then but are holding it back because of regulation? Come on, AP is already allowed in the US, avoiding slamming into parked cars in modes it already operates in would not be opposed by any government.

Well, and the current reality is that the AP2.0 system can handle everything that the software throws at it. I'm not thrilled about being put off myself, but that's where we are at. There are not any features of AP that it cannot perform, so we really are not missing out on anything with the hardware upgrade... and that's Tesla's defense right now. Once the AP2 vehicles stop getting software features of FSD because they don't have the horsepower to run them, that's when the real problems for Tesla begin.
Well, let's see:
  1. Earlier this year Tesla has already neutered what FSD definition, it now consists of mostly features which used to be part of EAP
  2. Less than 2 months ago Elon announced Elon Musk says Tesla “early access” full self-driving could arrive by end of year – TechCrunch
So, it sounds like what early access folks (I guess those are the people with reservations to whom Elon promised early access on his twitter) get by end of the year is it for FSD - no more features left for current owners. There will probably be a brand new RSD (Robotaxi Self Driving, or Really Self Driving) vaporware feature which will go on sale which will have features promised to AP2.0 customers. It will require HW3, or HW3.5 or even HW4 (but those who shell out $10K for it will get a promise of a free HW3 to HW4 upgrade, someday). And just like with the "your P85D motor is 691hp capable, but limited by the battery to 2/3 of it", FSD will have similar excuse - "your car is totally capable of fully self driving, but it's limited by sensors, AP hardware, software, whatever else".

i might bite on $10k discount, strip and transfer FSD to new car for free. Option to sell old car privately or trade.
If they gave you $10K for a new Tesla, but it had to be a new Tesla with FSD priced at $10K, so basically a free transfer of your FSD to a new Tesla (stripping it from the old one of course), would you take it?

I'm going to out on a limb here and assume you don't believe your current FSD feature would increase your used car value by anywhere near the price you paid for it, and of course not the $200K+ that Elon claimed the cars with FSD will be worth by end of next year.

The key is FSD. From his last tweet, it sounds like they don't have a working solution for MCU1 and HW3, and since there are quite a few of us who purchased that, I'd expect some kind of solution will HAVE to be created...

If that was the case wouldnt they stop selling FSD then for HW 2.0 vehicles. Aren't they still selling it for these vehicles?

I'm sorry, but "orders of magnitude more intelligent" is nonsensical.
Only if you vastly overestimate the perspicacity of your general contributor to the noise.

Also, let's say that a person is an order of magnitude more intelligent if there are only 1/10 the number of people alive in the world today who are that intelligent or more. So if there are only 10 people in the world as or more intelligent than you, you are two orders of magnitude more intelligent than somebody for whom there are 1000 people. So, given that your typical poster is exceeded in intelligence by at least a few billion other people, I feel confident in saying they are several orders of magnitude less intelligent than Elon Musk.

Admittedly, this is not obviously what that would mean, but measuring "how much" for a statistical thing like intelligence isn't very obvious anyway. So much for this random walk into total irrelevancy brought on by a colorful and unimportant turn of phrase. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
If they gave you $10K for a new Tesla, but it had to be a new Tesla with FSD priced at $10K, so basically a free transfer of your FSD to a new Tesla (stripping it from the old one of course), would you take it?

I'm going to out on a limb here and assume you don't believe your current FSD feature would increase your used car value by anywhere near the price you paid for it, and of course not the $200K+ that Elon claimed the cars with FSD will be worth by end of next year.

If it took a new car to get the FSD I was initially paid for I would expect transfer of FSD to the new car ($7k discount on new car) + some pain and suffering for the hassle of financing (self employed so pain), current finance rate is around 1%, and that I would have to take depreciation twice in 8-12 years. I typically keep cars a long time. That’s the additional $10k.