Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://electrek.co/2019/12/19/tesla-mcu-computer-upgrade-elon-musk/ (electrek)

Sounds like they are still working on it, sorta.

Erik on Twitter
mcu upgrde twitter.JPG

Only if you vastly overestimate the perspicacity of your general contributor to the noise.

Also, let's say that a person is an order of magnitude more intelligent if there are only 1/10 the number of people alive in the world today who are that intelligent or more. So if there are only 10 people in the world as or more intelligent than you, you are two orders of magnitude more intelligent than somebody for whom there are 1000 people. So, given that your typical poster is exceeded in intelligence by at least a few billion other people, I feel confident in saying they are several orders of magnitude less intelligent than Elon Musk.

Admittedly, this is not obviously what that would mean, but measuring "how much" for a statistical thing like intelligence isn't very obvious anyway. So much for this random walk into total irrelevancy brought on by a colorful and unimportant turn of phrase. Sorry.

DZQTDMs.gif

I love Elon. I'm fully invested in his success. Sometimes his tweets come from other orifices.

"Hopefully able to upgrade mcu 1 & ap2.0 in a few months"...This smells funny...

it was 3KUSD - i just did it.

What do you mean you just did it? I'm guessing you had MCU1, it broke, and you got a new MCU1. Is that right?

Keep in mind that a MCU1 to MCU1 replacement may be much more labor/hardware intensive than a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade. From what I gather there are differences in the wiring harnesses and firmware handshakes MCU1 and MCU2 that would make it a much more labor and time intensive swap than just a plug-and-play swap.

If it took a new car to get the FSD I was initially paid for I would expect transfer of FSD to the new car ($7k discount on new car) + some pain and suffering for the hassle of financing (self employed so pain), current finance rate is around 1%, and that I would have to take depreciation twice in 8-12 years. I typically keep cars a long time. That’s the additional $10k.
The way things are going, Elon will declare FSD feature complete and that is all you're going to get. For precedent, see the summon description for AP1.0 and see what has actually been delivered. In case of FSD, they have way more legal CYA with all the fine print, than what they had on AP1, P85D power specs, all 60 & 85 battery capacity specs - all of which they already got away with (with a small exception of P85D lawsuit in Europe).
tesla-AP1-summon.png

What do you mean you just did it? I'm guessing you had MCU1, it broke, and you got a new MCU1. Is that right?

Keep in mind that a MCU1 to MCU1 replacement may be much more labor/hardware intensive than a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade. From what I gather there are differences in the wiring harnesses and firmware handshakes MCU1 and MCU2 that would make it a much more labor and time intensive swap than just a plug-and-play swap.

I meant I replaced my Failed (emmc) mcu1 with a remanufactured mcu1 for 3000$.

Wow, Elon just now realized that cars last longer than phones! He sure learns fast. And, yet, he's still trying to make Tesla cars into a cell phone rather than simply integrate with Android Auto or Apple Car Play, so that people can just get a newer phone when after few years. Unless of course all the fart apps, netflix, and other things cell phones have been able to do for years, are just a distraction from the fact that he simply cannot deliver on FSD to people he sold it to before 2019 neutering of features. Maybe he's hoping that people will excuse the lack of most per-2019 FSD features because the car can make fart noises?

The article quotes Elon stating this:

MCU (infotainment computer) upgrade not recommended in my opinion. Isn’t needed for full self-driving and cost is ~$2,000 for limited entertainment improvements.

but it doesn't say from where or when; there is no twitter reference: they are charging that for a refurbished mcu1, so how could an mcu2 retrofit be the same amount?

Reactions: brkaus
Sure makes it an interesting company to watch. How are they going to wiggle their way out of this one? The suspense is killing me. Thank you Elon for all the entertainment.

If they really couldn’t get AP2/MCU 1 cars to have FSD, I’d just refund those FSD owners the money plus maybe another $500 or so. Not that big of deal. There probably are not THAT many. (And I am a AP2/MCU1 owner who purchased FSD during the fire sale.)

If they really couldn’t get AP2/MCU 1 cars to have FSD, I’d just refund those FSD owners the money plus maybe another $500 or so. Not that big of deal. There probably are not THAT many. (And I am a AP2/MCU1 owner who purchased FSD during the fire sale.)
$500 wouldn't be enough to make us whole. We wouldn't have spent $117000 on a FSD-capable Model S had we known they weren't really going to enable FSD on it.

Just a quick estimate but there are 50,000 or more AP2/MCU1 Model S that were delivered between November 2016 and August 2017. That doesn't include the thousands of Model X delivered in that same period. If we went back and got the exact numbers, we might find 80000 or more cars with AP2/MCU1. There are also tens of thousands more Model S and Model X delivered between August 2017 and March 2018 that have AP2.5 and MCU1. While those won't be as difficult to upgrade, none of them have been upgraded yet.

We've been waiting 3 years for our FSD and others who bought weeks ago have already been upgraded.