Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well then, tell my why Ford motors don't have a problem selling me parts for a focus if I own a mondeo?
-it is that straight forward, I have money and want to buy a part with partnumber xxxx.
Never ever had a problem with buying parts to whatever, even if I don't own a car that the part fits on.
For what the regular seller cares, it's my problem if I don't get it to fit where I want, hell I even could use it as an anker for my boat if I wanted to, and the seller still wouldn't care...

Ahh, but if I trade in my S, the package would get cheaper I hope:p

So, speaking of Ford, I bought a Ford Taurus SHO back in 2010 with the new Sync system. The system touted downloadable updates. You know how many updates I got in 3 years of owning that car? Big fat goose egg. Zero. They had come out with this cool new system called MyFordTouch (Sync v2). I offered to pay them to retrofit that sucker right into my dash, and they told me it was impossible and wanted to sell me a new car. So, I splurged and purchased a brand new Ford Fusion. The MyFordTouch would (this time) be updated via downloadable updates... because... well... it was new and this time they'd update it. Well, in 3 years of owning that car, guess how many updates it got? Yep, you guessed it. Zero. Why? Ford dumped Microsoft and switched to some other vendor. So, now, they had the New MyFordTouch v3. I couldn't upgrade my car to that, so I purchased a Tesla that had a proven record of actually updating their software.

Two random comments:

nVidia didn't invent the idea of alternating partitions for holding firmware. I'm sure you know that, but just getting that out there for people who might not. We did that at my work, before Tesla Motors even existed, and it was not a new idea then.

The original thread title was "Musk confirms upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2". A moderator (possibly me) edited the thread title at one point because people were getting excited about Elon announcing MCU2 upgrades, but then getting their hopes dashed when service centers said "nope". The intent was not to disparage Elon but to temper expectations.
Where did I say that nVidia had invented it?

If you read carefully what I said, it was that they'd used this two-partition method concomitant with their practice on high-end video cards.

And that, unless it is in a military or other highly-structured context, addressing others by their last name is considered offensive, at least in the polite society I was raised in.

Are you just trying to be argumentative?

Reactions: scaesare
Where did I say that nVidia had invented it?

If you read carefully what I said, it was that they'd used this two-partition method concomitant with their practice on high-end video cards.

I didn't claim you said that. I didn't want people getting a mistaken impression, so I added a clarification that I thought would be helpful.

And that, unless it is in a military or other highly-structured context, addressing others by their last name is considered offensive, at least in the polite society I was raised in.

In the polite society I was raised in, a first or last name indicates a degree of formality or informality, but not offense. It had not even occurred to me that this is why you hated the thread title; I (and at least one or two other posters apparently) thought it was over the apparent contradiction between *Elon's* and Tesla's statements. Sorry for misinterpreting your hatred.

Are you just trying to be argumentative?

Nope, only trying to add something useful to the thread. That would have been a really sucky way for me to try to start an argument.

Peace,

Bruce.

Reactions: croman and bollar
It seems that @verygreen and others excellent work here is making Tesla prevarication over the possibility of an upgrade increasingly difficult to substantiate.

It looks far more like a Tesla commercial decision as to whether to offer the upgrade for MCU1/AP2.0+cameras+radar or MCU1/AP2.5

Elon makes much of the early adopters supporting Tesla's growth from Model S -> Model 3, and whilst I feel no sense of entitlement as I got what I paid for, this would be a perfect opportunity for Elon and Tesla to offer some reward to this group of owners.

No suggestion that Tesla should do this for a loss, indeed Tesla should price it so as not to make a loss, and it should also be offered for a finite period of time, but the goodwill it would generate for a core of early Tesla owners would be invaluable to Tesla.

As I have discussed before, this could be piggybacked onto the same/enhanced team of service technicians performing AP3 upgrades and help Tesla fund the build-out this industry beating support model.

Aaah! A glimpse of hope for my 03/2018 MCU1 which was crippled by firmware 6 months after purchase...

I wouldn’t mind too much having a 5yo car with obsolete and slow user interface, but on a 6 month 110k€ car that’s robbery. I don’t care about new features, but having a sluggish climate UI and a nav which takes 5 minutes before giving directions... No comment

• Love
Reactions: BHCLUC and turtlesz
So, speaking of Ford, I bought a Ford Taurus SHO back in 2010 with the new Sync system. The system touted downloadable updates. You know how many updates I got in 3 years of owning that car? Big fat goose egg. Zero. They had come out with this cool new system called MyFordTouch (Sync v2). I offered to pay them to retrofit that sucker right into my dash, and they told me it was impossible and wanted to sell me a new car. So, I splurged and purchased a brand new Ford Fusion. The MyFordTouch would (this time) be updated via downloadable updates... because... well... it was new and this time they'd update it. Well, in 3 years of owning that car, guess how many updates it got? Yep, you guessed it. Zero. Why? Ford dumped Microsoft and switched to some other vendor. So, now, they had the New MyFordTouch v3. I couldn't upgrade my car to that, so I purchased a Tesla that had a proven record of actually updating their software.
Speaking of updates. I had a Lexus before Tesla. You know how updates I got, zero. It didn't need any. All the features they sold me worked from day one and 8 years later when I sold it. I did purchase a map update, $150, way cheaper than a new MCU Tesla requires after 4-5 years. Oh, over 4.5 years after I got my P85D - top end flagship Tesla product at the time - and I am still waiting for updates to deliver everything they sold me, no longer under warranty by the way, and MCU emmc dying after less than 40K miles. So, I'd go with the "everything you sell me works on day one" over "5 years later and still missing sold features (which probably will never be delivered)".

Reactions: Superendo
The whole part changes. IC1 is a dedicated computer, IC2 is just a display, but the connector is reused. I suppose you MAY be able to coble that together but honestly I don't see the point. Just swap the whole part.