Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i might be able to give you a synopsis.

I just this week had my MCU replaced under warranty. I have a Nov 2014 car. They gave me a 4G/LTE modem to replace my 3G, although I still cannot get on the Internet. Well, I can, let's say I go to ESPN, I get the ESPN home page and none of the links do anything, nothing on the page does anything, and it comes and goes, the main page. I get either the page or a white screen, it goes back and forth. Five minutes to open any website, and none of the links work. That aside, I tried to get a MCU2, as they were replacing my MCU1. This was the exchange:

Me to SC - If I'm getting a MCU1 can I pay whatever the difference and get a MCU2? The MCU1 is on backorder, it's been a week.

The exact answer from the SC was, "Unfortunately we are unable to do the upgrade. It will be the one designed for your vehicle".

The answer might be different next week, but that was the answer Thursday. They can't do it.

I posted this elsewhere, and the question came up how do I have a warranty on a 2014 car, I bought it used from Tesla six months ago, it has a two year 50K mile warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Summary for newcomers on what we know certainly so far;

- MCU2 upgrades are possible if you have Model S with AP2.0 or 2.5 (built after late 2016, with pillar cameras) This is proven by @verygreen
- For cars with AP1 or later you need harness/pin changes theoretically. No one has tried if they can make it work practically after said harness changes. Just too much work. Not enough is known to say possible/not possible yet.
- To do it with AP2 or later cars, you need to change tuner, MCU and instrument cluster with MCU2 parts. Just drop in replacement.
- After replacement you need to program it so it would work. This is beyond most people as there are very few 3rd parties that can adjust Tesla software for you. Most of which don't have experience with MCU2 rooting. So it leaves you with a handful of people you probably already heard about.
- After the retrofit it works perfectly. However AP2.0 still doesn't get sentry recording as that needs Autopilot Engine replacement. Has nothing to do with MCU. Yet AP2.5 that already has sentry gets additional cameras to be recorded after MCU2 upgrade.

Will Tesla offer it? We don't know/I don't think so. Elon tweeted that it should be possible for 2k (which I find to be a cheap estimation he possibly regrets tweeting)

Also in his said tweet he hinted that it is an unnecessary thing to do 'just for additional features'. So he played it down. However the changes from MCU1 to MCU2 is nowhere near minor IMHO. I don't think any MCU1 owner dares to pinch/zoom around the nav to discover the area or pin a location manually to navigate to it after v9. It just doesn't render even with prefect LTE speeds. Not even mentioning the laggy UI, lagging sound alerts, crashing or the infamous dead-MCU1 issue.

Tesla doesn't have to offer MCU2 replacement as long as they can deliver FSD to AP2.0 with MCU1. However as of today the way to retrofit HW2 cars with HW3 is blocked due to camera color filter differences between HW2 and HW2.5. Would software make a HW2/MCU1/APE3 setup possible? We will see. I just don't feel like this is a priority within Tesla at the moment and I think it should be. Early adaptors are being left in the dust for deliveries of the 3, development of the Y etc. I guess this is how businesses work. We got caught up in Tesla too much maybe? If I were in Elon's shoes instead of messing with hardware changes that would clog up service centers for minor revenue, I'd assign a team to make MCU1 cars perform like V8 and earlier with further software updates. That might cost some features but it is expected that newer cars have newer features. What Tesla is doing today is looking like adding new features to MCU1 cars while making older features' performance so bad (browser) that it renders them unavailable, while not being able to add those new features either.

p.s. After proofreading my post I had a laugh remembering Elon's 'war against Acronyms' leaked e-mail a few years back. Look where we are now with abbreviations. Here's the dictionary;

MCU: Media Control Unit (central touch screen)
APE: Autopilot engine. Above the glovebox with all Autopilot 2+ cars. Super computer responsible for driver assist features.
HW1/2/2.5: Hardware of Autopilot. Actual autopilot hardware consisting of cameras, radar and ultrasonic sensors.
HW1: Autopilot 1 cars' hardware. 1 front facing radar, 1 front facing camera and ultrasonic parking sensors.
HW2: Autopilot 2 hardware. 8 cameras, 1 radar, ultrasonic sensors, APE2
HW2.5: Autopilot 2.5 hardware. 8 cameras with different color filter, 1 radar, ultrasonic sensors, APE2.5
HW3: Autopilot 3 hardware. 8 cameras with hw2.5 color filter, 1 radar, ultrasonic sensors, APE3

- To do it with AP2 or later cars, you need to change tuner, MCU and instrument cluster with MCU2 parts. Just drop in replacement.
- After replacement you need to program it so it would work. This is beyond most people as there are very few 3rd parties that can adjust Tesla software for you. Most of which don't have experience with MCU2 rooting. So it leaves you with a handful of people you probably already heard about.

Have a feeling they could potentially earn their time investment and more if they were to help people upgrade their mcu.

And here we are on page 100 in the year 2020. Page one started back in 2018 and Tesla is still arguing with its own CEO about this upgrade even after third parties have figured it out. Communicating with service centers is so tough not even Elon can make it happen.
Tesla is not arguing with their CEO. Elon just lives in an alternate reality, where everyone in service gets a P100D loaner, where P85D was a 700hp car, where Full Self Driving is feature complete as of end of 2019, and where he isn't even a CEO, as he informed us last year when he tweeted that he stripped himself of ALL titles at Tesla. I used to think Elon was just stringing people along, lying, but in the 7th year of Tesla experience I think he actually believes all these things, which is why he often states them as facts, not even as future promises. You can't argue with crazy, and because he is the face of Tesla, and their sole marketing, they can't just get rid of him, hence they just let him live in his alternate reality. Even the SEC couldn't shut him up, what chance do some poor engineers have.

Bump that upgrade price up a bit if going through Tesla... Just got quotes for fun from my SC and the tuner is $225, the IC is $1435 and they are still "determining" if they will sell me the MCU. I know that they almost certainly won't but the service advisor was pretty adamant that he check so I figured why not.

Now this doesn't include labor or core charges but the core charges don't apply to the two components I have quotes on right now. The MCU has a core charge but that may be complicated if your returning a different MCU than your buying. Anyways, I'll update as I get the last bit of info.

The reality of this is that right now service is swamped and with the amount of work that has to occur on even an AP2+ vehicle we just are not going to see Tesla doing this upgrade. If the service situation improves then maybe but with Model Y coming down the pipe I highly doubt they start doing upgrades any time within the next year or two. In all seriousness if all the parts are staged it takes about the same amount of time to upgrade the HV battery.

Hell, I'll probably have my Cybertruck before they offer an official upgrade.

If someone has an MCU2 car, then can they buy as many MCU2 as they want?

I guess if you were really motivated. Find an mcu2 owner to request a new MCU and pay the core charge to keep it. Maybe that would work? IMO they are not offering the upgrade because they have too many refurbished mcu1 units to use and reuse. Say what you want but making someone pay $2500 for a refurbished mcu1 is alot more profitable than letting them buy a new mcu2