Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am an EAP model S. MCU1/2.5 car.
I gain mostly nothing by paying 4K for the upgrade to FSD. EXCEPT maybe having my car upgraded at some point to HW3 and maybe MCU2 by Tesla for free to honor the FSD.
so essentially paying 4K for the upgrade. Can’t do this tho unless I had reassurances that TESLA will ever even do this.

forced to wait and watch what happens sucks. When it does start to happen in mass I hope the price doesn’t kick up higher

I am an EAP model S. MCU1/2.5 car.
I gain mostly nothing by paying 4K for the upgrade to FSD. EXCEPT maybe having my car upgraded at some point to HW3 and maybe MCU2 by Tesla for free to honor the FSD.
so essentially paying 4K for the upgrade. Can’t do this tho unless I had reassurances that TESLA will ever even do this.

forced to wait and watch what happens sucks. When it does start to happen in mass I hope the price doesn’t kick up higher

Just be glad you didn't lease your car and pay for FSD back in 2016

So, speaking of Ford, I bought a Ford Taurus SHO back in 2010 with the new Sync system. The system touted downloadable updates. You know how many updates I got in 3 years of owning that car? Big fat goose egg. Zero. They had come out with this cool new system called MyFordTouch (Sync v2). I offered to pay them to retrofit that sucker right into my dash, and they told me it was impossible and wanted to sell me a new car. So, I splurged and purchased a brand new Ford Fusion. The MyFordTouch would (this time) be updated via downloadable updates... because... well... it was new and this time they'd update it. Well, in 3 years of owning that car, guess how many updates it got? Yep, you guessed it. Zero. Why? Ford dumped Microsoft and switched to some other vendor. So, now, they had the New MyFordTouch v3. I couldn't upgrade my car to that, so I purchased a Tesla that had a proven record of actually updating their software.

Funny thing, I bought the Tesla because it was future proof and I would get all upgrades for free within my warranty period. Have not yet received any upgrades, if I were to describe it, maybe a downgrade, my car can't even make the effort to show me release notes any more, did that in the past...
However I bought the Tesla in juli 2017, brand new, and in 2018 and 2019 I bought 2 new Fords, with sync 3, both of which have improved their functionality because of the upgrades, the Android auto has also improved.
They are faster to boot, reads messages fine, etc, does everything they promised and gives me what i bought.

And this is the "issue" Tesla doesn't keep their promises but take your cash, same thing you felt about your previous Fords, and now you have a Tesla, I guess you don't have much luck:p

The promise from Tesla was that :
*as soon as functions diverse from ap2.0, ap2.5 or hw3 they will upgrade you if you have FSD.
*and Musk confirms mcu upgrades.

Where are the upgrades?

To bring it back to what you answered to:
At least Ford do not have a problem with selling you parts if you want to buy.

Funny thing, I bought the Tesla because it was future proof and I would get all upgrades for free within my warranty period. Have not yet received any upgrades, if I were to describe it, maybe a downgrade, my car can't even make the effort to show me release notes any more, did that in the past...
However I bought the Tesla in juli 2017, brand new, and in 2018 and 2019 I bought 2 new Fords, with sync 3, both of which have improved their functionality because of the upgrades, the Android auto has also improved.
They are faster to boot, reads messages fine, etc, does everything they promised and gives me what i bought.

And this is the "issue" Tesla doesn't keep their promises but take your cash, same thing you felt about your previous Fords, and now you have a Tesla, I guess you don't have much luck:p

The promise from Tesla was that :
*as soon as functions diverse from ap2.0, ap2.5 or hw3 they will upgrade you if you have FSD.
*and Musk confirms mcu upgrades.

Where are the upgrades?

To bring it back to what you answered to:
At least Ford do not have a problem with selling you parts if you want to buy.

Sorry you feel that way. My experience with 3 different Fords have been pretty bad. Yours clearly has been good. I'm not sure what promises you're referring to with Tesla, but I don't feel that way.

No problem, just wanted to make sure others had proper context.

The aftermarket will step in as long as it's allowed. @verygreen already showed HW3 was compatible with MCU1, plug and play.... Also a few people of the same caliber as green have said that MCU1 to MCU2 is plug and play as well for AP2.0+ vehicles. Now this assumes your ok with not having the additional Bluetooth and 5Ghz WiFi. I fully intended to perform this upgrade myself should Tesla not make it available.... and possibly even if they do depending on price. Now I have AP2.5 so not as many variables as 2.0 but still.
5ghz wifi appears to be working on my car with no extra antennas. it's already model X so BT is already included.

hey @rob4448585 - a disagree for that?
was meant to be light hearted - apologies if you found it poor taste

People on this forum generally use the "disagree" button to often, never been used to that on other forums...
However, I guess alot of us saw the humor in your post, nothing offensive in your post :)

(bet I get som "disagree" buttons pushed on this post also:p)

hey @rob4448585 - a disagree for that?
was meant to be light hearted - apologies if you found it poor taste

Maybe he is the 444,585th person to complain about the speed and lack of features of his MCU1.

People on this forum generally use the "disagree" button to often, never been used to that on other forums...

I would hit the agree button if there was one.

• Funny
Reactions: croman