Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does Apple have to do with this? Are you saying the lifespan of a $100K car should be equal to a phone?

I was just responding to someone's claim that consumables should be easy to replace like they are in IT, and showing that in general things are becoming more integrated and less repairable across all industries.

I think Tesla should have an option to replace just the Tegra daughtercard, just like they offered to replace the cellular card from 3G to LTE for a reasonable cost. I would also hope that they are putting a better/larger chip on the refurbished devices.

You mean like Apple who solders their eMMC storage to the motherboard so if anything on the motherboard dies you have to replace the entire board, essentially costing more than a new device? And you lose all of your data even if the eMMC isn't what died since you can't backup your data and move it to the new device. (Unless of course you "hack" it just like with the MCU.)
I try consoling myself with the facts from the last time Tesla had a serious material issue - Drive unit failures.
Tesla tried the software route, then finally decided they had better bite the bullet before this thing derailed the company
Then there was the battery degradation and runaway fires. Each of these issues was paramount.
Tesla tried software and then knuckled down and made significant changes and in the process, turned it into a marketing coo.
We have a power increase for you!
Over the years, Tesla has had other gaffes, misstated battery capacity, misstated HP ratings, but as many have pointed out, these were written off by the public as a new technology & a new company with growing pains.
Given enough attention by well noted experts, <at least on tesla's> here on the forums, Tesla will see & hear the rumblings of bad press and 'hopefully', do the right thing before this blows out of proportions.
So far, the failures have barely crossed the Twitter boards and the Reddit screens.
When these sites and high profile FUD scavengers get a whiff of this eminent failure, this will move from the back burner, into the fire.
At present, Tesla is trying software, and I don't think they are kicking the can down the road toward expiration of warranties, but will again, 'hopefully', they will address our cars issue.
One thing is for sure, this problem will not, Heal Itself

So it's the manufacturer's lawyers who think this is fine - not surprising but doesn't necessarily mean it would hold up in court
Yes they were our lawyers but I have a lot of respect for their opinions. We frequently rely on their assessment to guide decisions and they don't always side with what helps the company's bottom line. It was specifically in this context of a consumable requiring earlier repair, repair being extremely expensive relative to the price of the failing consumable, and a software mistake in an update resulting in accelerated deterioration.

There was a different case, for example, where we used an industry standard port inside a device but it had far far different power and thermal likits and was only meant to work with one specially designed component for us. Of course that was never communicated and customers would swap in other off the shelf replacements and that would fry the device. They would frequently put in the OEM parts before servicing the device but we had logs that show what happened. The lawyers in that case advised we would lose any legal action and be forced to recall everything, so don't use a standard port for a nonstandard device next time, and quietly replace this under warranty for anyone even if they're out of warranty. (Of course it didn't stop management from ruining the careers of anyone involved in the hardware design but that's another story )

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and MP3Mike
FWIW, new MCU or refurb come with a separate 4 year unlimited mile warranty. It's still a rip to charge for a defectively designed part.
I specifically asked about this and asked for it in writing when I got my refurbished unit and was quoted 1yr or 12k miles, whichever comes first. According to my Tesla Service Center, it is specifically stated on the back of the estimate or the last page.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Does it specifically say that replacement parts will be covered for a certain time period? I was told all replacement parts come with a 1 year 12k mile warranty unless of course you still fall under the regular warranty provisions of the original purchase agreement

Yes, it has details:

The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods:

• Sheet metal: Limited lifetime
  • Drive Unit: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Vehicle High Voltage Battery: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Wall Connectors: 4 years
  • Touchscreen and microcontroller unit: 4 years
For details, please review the Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty.

So some parts are different than others. And the PDF copy of the warranty says the same thing. (Well the PDF doesn't list the limited lifetime on sheet metal...)

Also notice that normal parts are for 1 year, with no mileage limit.

A strange thought just popped into my head: Right now there is a refrigerator at Home Depot that has a better browser than the high-end tech rich Tesla model S. And it will probably work for longer than the browser in the 2014 Model S because it probably won't get updated.

I've seen that fridge. The acceleration and range compares poorly to the Tesla.

I've seen that fridge. The acceleration and range compares poorly to the Tesla.
I have that fridge........and I can unfortunately confirm it does indeed have a better browser and does get updates infrequently and still functions but alas I am still waiting for features that were promised when I first bought it. ;)

Last edited:
Why wouldn't they 'fix' this by logging to a (maybe even crypted) partition on a USB drive, just like the dashcam, store on USB.

Only the FW updates would wear the EMMC down.

And streaming audio. And map updates.

As @cduzz says the eMMC is used for a lot more than just logging and firmware updates. (Though I think the maps are stored on an SD card, but the updates are probably downloaded to the eMMC before they are unpacked???)

@verygreen has said that while the logging is part of the problem he isn't even sure it is the majority of the problem...

Last edited:
As @cduzz says the eMMC is used for a lot more than just logging. (Though I think the maps are stored on an SD card, but the updates are probably downloaded to the eMMC before they are unpacked???)

@vergreen has said that while the logging is part of the problem he isn't even sure it is the majority of the problem...

Yeah, like remember all the times we've seen updates get stuck in a loop, or the maps update going through days of verifying and then segfaulting then starting over....

There are plenty of things that cause NAND wear and logging seems like only a small piece of it. Even if you log 100 lines an hour that's gonna be tens of megabytes a day, compared to downloading one software update which is like 1GB of data being unpacked and moved around in a variety of ways.

• Funny
Reactions: Rluner
Umm my fridge had spotify since day one and pinterest so I would say fridge 1 tesla 0. And in fact my fridge has a bunch of apps that I don't use but i sure wish it had a whoopy cushion so I could program it to fart when you open the door.
Have you noticed any yellowing of the refrigerator screen?

Have you noticed any yellowing of the refrigerator screen?
Not yet but when I get home I will check and if there is I'm gonna load the fridge into my S (with yellowing screen) and take it to home depot and see what they say. Maybe I can just drive it to my local sc and have them fix both of them. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I call that a win win.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka