Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read this regarding current ongoing trial - Elon Musk is testifying in his defamation trial against Vernon Unsworth. He describes twitter as “a free for all” where “people assert fact and fiction”. Also says it’s a bit like a “town hall meeting” @9NewsAUS
Now all those promises could fall into fact or fiction. So far it sure looks like fiction.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
That’s quite a blanket statement that doesn’t serve anyone well without clarification. Specifically, what do you mean by this? All cars, by any manufacturer, ‘begin to die’ at 4-5 years? Only Teslas begin to die at 4-5 years?

It’s a big difference replacing a part at 4-5 years as opposed to your entire vehicle ‘beginning to die’. What statistics & evidence do you have for this statement?

The way I see this going is Teslas will eventually need upgrading as hardware functions, software update compatibility & performance decreases to where its problematic; already experiencing in my 2015; plus I am concerned with my model S getting older, it will be easier to hack, as exploits are discovered; so being some model Teslas are being manufactured in China, aftermarket hardware, & other void warranty type items are expected as long as Tesla doesn’t go & pull a full Apple.

think it would be better if they draw a line for MCU1, mabe only 50% of the price.
Those owners are never going to get even a working browser never mind video, and even audio streaming is flaky.

With no sign of a h/w upgrade being made available, this would be a fair way for Tesla to nod to earlier adopters with MCU1

think it would be better if they draw a line for MCU1, mabe only 50% of the price.
Those owners are never going to get even a working browser never mind video, and even audio streaming is flaky.

With no sign of a h/w upgrade being made available, this would be a fair way for Tesla to nod to earlier adopters with MCU1

But aren't all mcu1 cars grandfathered in to free data for life?

Reactions: MP3Mike
But aren't all mcu1 cars grandfathered in to free data for life?

Unless you buy one inventory ... as I just did.

Turns out you are not buying the car you thought (a 2017 P100D) but one that Tesla have modified.
EAP on the original car is neutered to AP;
Lifetime supercharging is stripped;
and now it seems you don't get lifetime data either.

Of course if you buy used through a non-Tesla channel you would get to keep the lifetime data and supercharging with the car.

Love to hear Tesla opinion on this.

Caveat Emptor applies every single time you hear, read, see or deal with Tesla in any way whatsoever.

And yes, color me naiive, for thinking I was just getting a 2017 used inventory car as originally specified, especially given I have dealt with them previously.Cars are (mostly) great but it's like jumping in a snake pit dealing with Tesla sometimes.

So yeah this would all be a bunch more palatable if Tesla did come up with an MCU2 upgrade - as we now know - they won't.

Premium connectivity has nothing to do with MCU. There have been some reports of Tesla having difficulties installing HW3 on cars with MCU 1. (Whether or not the stories are true is anyone's guess.)

Premium connectivity is more about Karaoke, Map data, music streaming.

I can somewhat see how HW3 and MCU are connected. Over the next few years, Tesla will be adding more software toggles, visualization on the MCU related to FSD, other enhancements. Immersive sound is one of the existing settings that seperates. The plaid prototype Model S has the Model 3 screen.

We'll have to wait and see. I am going to be watching these forums for the next couple of months (TMC & Tesla Official) to see if any Pre MCU 2 cars with FSD have been retrofitted successfully.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Premium connectivity has nothing to do with MCU.

I think it does. With MCU 1 and lifetime free unlimited data, the most data you could use is from streaming music. Now if it is upgraded to MCU 2, you could stream video as well on LTE. Currently I think MCU 1 is fully capable of streaming video but they just don't want to give it to all the order cars free of charge using up more data.

To be honest, I would pay for MCU 2 upgrade and pay for the monthly premium connectivity if they let me upgrade. My wife's Model X MCU 1 is sooooo slow comparing my Model 3 computer.

With MCU 1 and lifetime free unlimited data,

unfortunately used model S's purchased after time X (maybe july 2018) from Tesla, including MCU1 cars are now being asked to pay $10/month to keep streaming audio/traffic/sat view (the rest of benefit not applying to MCU1).

feel they should have a lower tier cost for MCU1 premium or like.. bundle in the cost of spotify (another $10/month).

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Interesting. Mine won't even come up at all now... it just times out with ""Error initializing Bluetooth - Call Service""

I noticed it 3-4 days after getting the SW upgrade, which I think was the first time I tried a call, so timing is interesting. Especially as it would seem odd for a BT hardware failure to also affect voice commands, which doesn't depend on having anything connected via BT.

Can you expand on that?
It didn't become clearer to me as I read the support page which you called a blog? Maybe I missed a blog page somewhere.
Here are the 'blog' pages: News | Tesla
Here is the 'support' page: Connectivity

"Some features such as Caraoke and video streaming are not supported on some cars based on hardware configuration. Review your release notes to confirm feature availability in your Tesla."

If there were any plans on a retrofit in the near future I would think they would leave this line out.

"Some features such as Caraoke and video streaming are not supported on some cars based on hardware configuration. Review your release notes to confirm feature availability in your Tesla."

If there were any plans on a retrofit in the near future I would think they would leave this line out.

No they would still leave it in because the retrofit would be optional and cost, and not everyone would pay for it. So features would still vary based on hardware configuration.

Slight aside: Has anybody with MCU1 had both Bluetooth and voice commands fail simultaneously after receiving 2019.36.2.7?
I’m still on 36.2.1 but have had repeated issues with Bluetooth on this release, requiring a reboot every 3 days or so to keep it working.
Interesting. Mine won't even come up at all now... it just times out with ""Error initializing Bluetooth - Call Service"" I noticed it 3-4 days after getting the SW upgrade, which I think was the first time I tried a call, so timing is interesting. Especially as it would seem odd for a BT hardware failure to also affect voice commands, which doesn't depend on having anything connected via BT.
My Bluetooth and voice commands are working just fine for 12 days on that release. 2017 X 100D and Pixel 2, FWIW.