Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like it was about three years ago when Elon or (John what’s his face, that isn’t there anymore) had talked about doing this. ...

Jon McNeill - still view it as a pity that Jon departed Tesla, His touch would have gone a long way to improve Tesla reputation enormously by now, but inevitably I guess for him to succeed in his role was alway going to be a tough call with Elon at the helm.

Reactions: Chaserr
I check this thread every time it floats to the top of the forum, hoping for good news .... :(

I have a feeling we will get the answer soon, a disappointing one. MCU1 isn't compatible with HW3 for now. If they aren't going to offer an upgrade path for those owners that purchased FSD, or just will continue to leave us in Limbo looking for a fix for MCU1, then the upgrade is never coming.

Scanned the last few pages but apologies if this is already known.

I was talking to a mobile tech a couple days ago and talked about the HW3 and MCU1 incompatibility issue for those that purchased FSD. He said they don't have a solution yet but also said that to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 would involve new wiring harnesses, new cameras and due to a difference in the front camera brackets even the front windshield needs to be replaced.

That's some pretty major surgery...

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911

I was talking to a mobile tech a couple days ago and talked about the HW3 and MCU1 incompatibility issue for those that purchased FSD. He said they don't have a solution yet but also said that to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 would involve new wiring harnesses, new cameras and due to a difference in the front camera brackets even the front windshield needs to be replaced.

New wiring harness sure. The camera part sounds umm

Reactions: croman
Jon McNeill - still view it as a pity that Jon departed Tesla, His touch would have gone a long way to improve Tesla reputation enormously by now, but inevitably I guess for him to succeed in his role was alway going to be a tough call with Elon at the helm.
I believe the majority of Tesla's current woes would never have happened when he was here. Customer service was tolerable under his supervision, communication existed... basically everything people hate about owning a Tesla started after he left.

If it's really that serious they'll probably come out with a new rev of HW3 that has a compatibility mode with MCU1. Much simpler and cheaper, provided the software issues aren't too ugly.

Reality is Tesla will just fix the old MCU1's and just outsource the work to a repair shop.

This only solves the MCU1 memory problem. But the way I see it, Tesla also owes me FSD based on my deposit and that includes any hardware changes necessary to achieve that. With the issues being reported of MCU1 and HW3 compatibility they are going to have to come up with something.

This only solves the MCU1 memory problem. But the way I see it, Tesla also owes me FSD based on my deposit and that includes any hardware changes necessary to achieve that. With the issues being reported of MCU1 and HW3 compatibility they are going to have to come up with something.

did Tesla tell you when you would get HW3?

unfortunately from past experience of Tesla statements I think this might well be your answer.
If Tesla were a European or Asian manufacturer the US would have sued them out of the country by now for all the (ahem) misstatements, however as they are a US company there are surprisingly few Class Action lawsuits.

Plus, we all want Tesla to succeed, but less of the BS please.
Even now the website states "coming later this year - Automatic driving on city streets".
Just me or are we running out of year? Or perhaps they mean you dont have to change gear with stick shift - oh wait

On a practical note, one possible answer would be for Tesla to offer to transfer the monies paid for FSD by MCU1 owners to their next vehicle. Tesla could claim that unforeseen issues prevented the planned update of the car (dont forget the cameras, wiring and radar are inferior to HW2.5 too - so even HW3 will be compromised by these). Won't keep everybody happy (by a long way) but at least provides a path forward and respects the owners original investment.

• Informative
AP2.0 owners "successfully" class actioned for a delayed roll-out and that was less than a year late. $250 or less. That didn't have a planned roll-out date, other than "later this year." Sound familiar? I think the same thing is going to happen next year but MCU1 owners won't get ANY of the previously stated features.
So, same thing will happen. One or two people will get their cars bought back (the people who started the class action). The rest of the people will be lumped into this class action without permission (just like AP2.0) and they will all get a small amount of $$$$. My advice (I'm not a lawyer), opt-out of the class action and go after Tesla for a better deal. Yes I want them to succeed but they need to be held responsible just like any other company out there. They're not a start-up anymore. Can't keep pulling this crap.

• Informative
did Tesla tell you when you would get HW3?
It's been there in fine print of FSD since the beginning - nobody can predict when, subject to validation and regulation (which they have been doing since 2016, so obviously this validation is taking some time, took them over 6 months to validate automatic headlights).

Realistically, Tesla probably doesn't have a exact plan to upgrade AP2.0 cars. Possibly hoping enough cars come off the road (totaled, back through CPO where they can strip FSD and make it not upgradable, maybe the "sold through 3rd party, we strip it" approach they are trying with FUSC), and for the remaining cars they will wait until they are running very profitable and have cash to spare (outgrow your debt strategy), maybe offer ~$10K discount off your next car and FUSC in exchange for you agreeing to strip FSD from your car.