Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An MCU2 replacement for MCU1 cars is currently in testing at Tesla and still will be for the next few weeks. After it passes, Tesla may start production before announcing it. They may also release the upgrade for some configurations before others (for example HW 2.5 vs HW 2.0 or pre AP). Don’t bother your service center about it. They won’t know until it gets released.
An MCU2 replacement for MCU1 cars is currently in testing at Tesla and still will be for the next few weeks. After it passes, Tesla may start production before announcing it. They may also release the upgrade for some configurations before others (for example HW 2.5 vs HW 2.0 or pre AP). Don’t bother your service center about it. They won’t know until it gets released.

Let's guess what's next. Couple of weeks more of testing. Decision made to start production. Maybe an announcement of this new MCU2 upgrade path at the Battery Investor's Day Presentation in April? Would be a great time to do it, huh?

Let's guess what's next...Investor's Day Presentation in April?
Same as always by posters here: exulted hubris paired with manic insecurity.

Investors know FSD is big and TSLA, GM, F, etc. know investors know it's a big thing. Thus when presenting the best picture of the company to investors, one would think this would include the best possible picture of FSD. TSLA's done it before - think the "original" FSD video of that X driving to Freemont. My guess is TSLA will focus heavily on the latest and greatest at their investor and not dedicate much time retroactive upgrades as retroactive upgrades arent nearly as sexy when compared to potential future FSD goals.

I do think it's in TSLA's best interest to make a MCU.new replacement for multiple reasons, one of which is being able to deliver on the promise they made for those who prepaid for FSD with AP 2.0+. While that reason is based on an obligation TSLA is already under, I also think there's a material amount of customers who if given the option - or forced to when their MCU1 fails - would opt for an out-of-pocket-upgrade. Ideally, revenue generated from these upgrades would go beyond the part and labor costs and help offset the development costs from TSLA's perspective. Likewise, the intangible goodwill generated by the upgradability of older Ss and Xs would accrue to TSLA as happy owners continue to talk up the brand to friends and family.

Fingers very much crossed that @Krash source is correct - excited about this!

Same as always by posters here: exulted hubris paired with manic insecurity.
Ideally, revenue generated from these upgrades would go beyond the part and labor costs and help offset the development costs from TSLA's perspective. Likewise, the intangible goodwill generated by the upgradability of older Ss and Xs would accrue to TSLA as happy owners continue to talk up the brand to friends and family.

Fingers very much crossed that @Krash source is correct - excited about this!

Whooa, too many big words strung together for me. But fingers? me too.

Let's guess what's next. Couple of weeks more of testing. Decision made to start production. Maybe an announcement of this new MCU2 upgrade path at the Battery Investor's Day Presentation in April? Would be a great time to do it, huh?

Who is Krash's source? Does he work for Tesla? How do we know this isn't just hearsay misinterpreted from an off-hand remark a ranger said?

• Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02
Woooooo-Wee, don't ask that question. For some reason I don't understand, that's a major sin to question where the info came from.
I did and people beat me into the ground on TMC. Go look in this thread at my post 2341 where I thought I politely asked. Then look at 2373, 2374 and 2375. Plenty of people didn't like me asking for a little more (like you are asking me). After you see those, read post 2377, where I was cast out for my "tone". I was not polite enough. And keep reading because my apology that that poster was apparently not worthy of a reply. He didn't like the way I asked the question.

People got more upset because I asked the question than they are upset about the eMMC issue. Its a good thing that Tesla is a religion, else I would likely have been taking out back behind the woodshed and beat my okole with a switch they made me pick off the tree.

This became a learning opportunity for me. No mo' questions. Instead just dumb self-defeating redneck replies about myself. Learned my lesson.

I don't really care about any specifics of who the source is other than whether it was indeed someone in engineering or not. But who am I kidding, even then it might not tell us for sure that there will be an upgrade offered because they could change plans or scrap the project at any moment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be an upgrade. I think I'd pay $2000-3000 for an upgrade.

Reactions: Akikiki
When MCU1 vehicles capable of FSD were sold, Tesla made claims on the website that all vehicles manufactured at that time were capable of FSD, pending software validation and regulatory approval. And Tesla can't fully book the FSD revenue until they've actually delivered FSD on those vehicles.

So Tesla has incentive to find some way to retrofit the MCU1 vehicles to support FSD.

Though, if they made a reasonable offer for us to trade-in our 2017 S 100D for a new S/X, that may be a better solution for us and for Tesla (transfer FSD/FUSC/extended warranty, $5000? upgrade credit), saving Tesla the cost of parts (MCU/AP processor replacements) and labor to retrofit a 3 year old vehicle.

Woooooo-Wee, don't ask that question. For some reason I don't understand, that's a major sin to question where the info came from.
I did and people beat me into the ground on TMC. Go look in this thread at my post 2341 where I thought I politely asked. Then look at 2373, 2374 and 2375. Plenty of people didn't like me asking for a little more (like you are asking me). After you see those, read post 2377, where I was cast out for my "tone". I was not polite enough. And keep reading because my apology that that poster was apparently not worthy of a reply. He didn't like the way I asked the question.

People got more upset because I asked the question than they are upset about the eMMC issue. Its a good thing that Tesla is a religion, else I would likely have been taking out back behind the woodshed and beat my okole with a switch they made me pick off the tree.

This became a learning opportunity for me. No mo' questions. Instead just dumb self-defeating redneck replies about myself. Learned my lesson.
Whoosh right over your head with the real point! Do not add to identifying information so the person can get in trouble. Seriously are you that inconsiderate and self-serving.

So Tesla has incentive to find some way to retrofit the MCU1 vehicles to support FSD.

Though, if they made a reasonable offer for us to trade-in our 2017 S 100D for a new S/X, that may be a better solution for us and for Tesla (transfer FSD/FUSC/extended warranty, $5000? upgrade credit), saving Tesla the cost of parts (MCU/AP processor replacements) and labor to retrofit a 3 year old vehicle.

Would not work for all of us. Getting FSD on our cars is already paid for. To trade in for a newer S/X would be nice for some - and too expensive for others.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
When MCU1 vehicles capable of FSD were sold, Tesla made claims on the website that all vehicles manufactured at that time were capable of FSD, pending software validation and regulatory approval. And Tesla can't fully book the FSD revenue until they've actually delivered FSD on those vehicles.

It would have to be a massive discount to entice any owner to upgrade their model s. $7500 federal rebate is gone. Autopilot with FSD has cost me $7k.
$5k doesnt even cover the cost of FSD on a new car. The model s is still quite expensive IMO. Give me a 30k credit on a new car and I would consider upgrading. Doesnt make sense for me to get rid of my perfectly working car to get the same exact car again for features that dont exist yet. This path just doesnt work. They will have to make FSD work somehow and if it requires upgrading MCU then so be it.

That opinion may change if they had a new model s body coming out

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I had the sunroof, and even living in a nice weather place, almost never used if because of the buffeting. I bought it for the additional headroom and glass. But I like my solid glass roof more. Not having that bar from side to side makes it feel far more open. Lots of people in mine for the first time comment out how the full glass makes them feel like it even bigger and open. I can recommend the glass over solid.

Reactions: boonedocks
The $7500 tax credit is gone - but compared to what we paid for our 2017 S and 2018 X, Tesla reduced the list price of those vehicles around 15%, more than making up for the tax credit.

Our 2017 S 100D (fully loaded) listed for $117K (with a sunroof, EAP/FSD, FUSC). A new S LR+ (fully loaded, no sunroof) lists for $91K (FSD, FUSC). If Tesla transferred the FSD, the list price would be $84K.

I'm estimating our S is worth around $48K - so net cost (before sales tax) would be $36K. And for that difference, we would get:
  • Increased range - 390 vs. 335 (55 more miles of range)
  • Faster acceleration (0-60) - 3.7s vs. 4.2s
  • MCU/AP upgrade to MCU2/AP3
  • Features available only with MCU2 (primarily useful while parked or supercharging) - games, streaming video, ...
  • Faster supercharging (but still not V3)
  • Would lose AM radio (not supported by MCU2)
  • Wireless phone charging in center console
  • Heated rear seats
  • And likely some smaller improvements made in the last 3 years
  • Plus it would reset the warranty clock, giving us a new 4 year/50K mile new vehicle warranty
If Tesla offered an additional $5-10K (the equivalent of their parts and labor cost for upgrading our 2017 S to MCU2 and the new AP processor), that would get the upgrade cost to around $30K.

While not everyone may be willing to do this - if this was an option, we would seriously consider it as an alternative to doing a hardware upgrade to a 3 year old vehicle.