Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After we purchased our 2018 X 100D (MCU2), we had problems with some Gen 1 HPWCs (home and destination chargers).

At that time, Tesla's charging team indicated a software fix was in development, but because that wasn't going to be soon, they arranged for an exchange of our home Gen 1 HPWC.

Last year, we stayed at a hotel with two Gen 1 HPWC destination chargers, and didn't have any problems charging.

So it appears Tesla did roll out the software fix for the Gen 1 HPWC/MCU2 incompatibility (which was likely a timing problem in the code because of the faster speed of the MCU2 processor).

Tesla is refusing to do my MCU2 upgrade saying my VIN isn't approved for HW3 and therefore I can't get MCU2. What assholes. This company sucks and they'll get no more car buying from my family.

Did you get the invite that specifically said that you could order the MCU2 upgrade now? Or were you just trying to jump the gun?

They haven't started the upgrades for AP2.0 cars yet. Though the upgrade page says that they should start late this month. (Unless it gets pushed back again.)

Did you get the invite that specifically said that you could order the MCU2 upgrade now? Or were you just trying to jump the gun?

They haven't started the upgrades for AP2.0 cars yet. Though the upgrade page says that they should start late this month. (Unless it gets pushed back again.)

Do they invite anyone? Look, Tesla doesn't actually have any policies or rules that mean anything. They say one thing, one part of the company hears it, others don't. Elon says one thing, the company does another (read this entire thread if you forgot). They have one policy but they do whatever pretty much. That's how this "company" operates -- each service center is its own fiefdom. I've seen it for over 3 years.

Do you need an invite to get MCU2? No, they've done plenty of 2.5 cars without invites being emailed. Have they done AP2 cars? Yes, @Akikiki noted his experience (the only deviation from 2.5 being the backup camera wiring harness which is easy to fix).

So really it boils down to the fact they don't give a *sugar* and they'd rather let me have my dying MCU than do the work. That's Tesla in a nutshell.

Huh ? Did they tell you why your VIN is not approved? First time I heard this.

Yes, that has been their line since HW3 retrofits started. HW2 cars are never going to get on the list until they have no more 2.5 customers. Supposedly MCU2 upgrade hopped you forward but they want to keep billing people for their defective MCU1 design before letting the oldest (and most vulnerable) cars upgrade.

Do they invite anyone? Look, Tesla doesn't actually have any policies or rules that mean anything. They say one thing, one part of the company hears it, others don't. Elon says one thing, the company does another (read this entire thread if you forgot). They have one policy but they do whatever pretty much. That's how this "company" operates -- each service center is its own fiefdom. I've seen it for over 3 years.

Do you need an invite to get MCU2? No, they've done plenty of 2.5 cars without invites being emailed. Have they done AP2 cars? Yes, @Akikiki noted his experience (the only deviation from 2.5 being the backup camera wiring harness which is easy to fix).

So really it boils down to the fact they don't give a *sugar* and they'd rather let me have my dying MCU than do the work. That's Tesla in a nutshell.
That's sad you are having such a terrible experience. Out here, I have fortunately the opposite experience in the last 3 years, so it is baffling why there is such a difference. I know a couple guys out at the service center here and yes, they told me I need an invite to upgrade our older MCU1 car and that our car qualifies and will get it around 3rd week of May (not sure how they know that, but never misled me before on improvements and updates). The difference here being that our older car is a 2.0, not 2.5. They have not done any AP2 cars here yet.

Here's hopefully your experience will change for the better as it seems you are really upset. Rightfully so.

Reactions: croman and MP3Mike
That's sad you are having such a terrible experience. Out here, I have fortunately the opposite experience in the last 3 years, so it is baffling why there is such a difference. I know a couple guys out at the service center here and yes, they told me I need an invite to upgrade our older MCU1 car and that our car qualifies and will get it around 3rd week of May (not sure how they know that, but never misled me before on improvements and updates). The difference here being that our older car is a 2.0, not 2.5. They have not done any AP2 cars here yet.

Here's hopefully your experience will change for the better as it seems you are really upset. Rightfully so.

I've actually usually had great experience with service except for after the 3 launched and then its been pretty bad. So I'm going to keep driving my $100k car that can't play sounds (including safety sounds such as AP, blinkers, etc), can't play music (of any kind), doesn't have Bluetooth, and that's OK by Tesla. Or I can pay to replace my MCU that 230 miles ago was covered by warranty.

Yes, that has been their line since HW3 retrofits started. HW2 cars are never going to get on the list until they have no more 2.5 customers. Supposedly MCU2 upgrade hopped you forward but they want to keep billing people for their defective MCU1 design before letting the oldest (and most vulnerable) cars upgrade.
Oh ok. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by your car not being "approved". If I now understand correctly, your car will be updated at some point in time rather than them saying they aren't going to do it at all?

Oh ok. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by your car not being "approved". If I now understand correctly, your car will be updated at some point in time rather than them saying they aren't going to do it at all?

Yes, eventually but that is not the point. They could do it now and they are opting to make me wait for no reason other than I stupidly paid them for FSD YEARS before the people getting their perfectly functional cars upgraded.