Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU2 is at the service center for my car. Tesla now emails about parts ordered (awesome communication improvement). Here's what I'm waiting to get:

"Here are updates on the additional parts that we needed to order for servicing your car.

We will send you updates twice a week until your service is completed.
Please note, that some of the parts required for your repair may already be on site at our service center and will not show up on this update

1. MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - NORTH AMERICA
    Part #:9874561-00-A
    Order Qty:1
    Order Date: April 21,2020"

So if this gets in, I guess I get hw3 too. Otherwise I need to schedule another appointment after it comes in.

So I’m guessing you’re getting the infotainment upgrade on your AP2.0+MCU1 Tesla?! If that’s the case you’ll be 2nd person getting the infotainment upgrade. Happy to see Tesla is finally able to help you and keep you a happy costumer. They always come through, perhaps a bit late though. Let us know how everything goes. I’ll be patiently waiting for my AP2+MCU1 upgrade soon.

Reactions: Gt1948 and croman
So I’m guessing you’re getting the infotainment upgrade on your AP2.0+MCU1 Tesla?! If that’s the case you’ll be 2nd person getting the infotainment upgrade. Happy to see Tesla is finally able to help you and keep you a happy costumer. They always come through, perhaps a bit late though. Let us know how everything goes. I’ll be patiently waiting for my AP2+MCU1 upgrade soon.
If croman has an AP2.0 vehicle, then it looks like another case where the SC thinks it's an AP2.5 vehicle:
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5

We will see. Scheduled for 2 weeks from yesterday. I'm definitely happy they agreed to help since my MCU is clearly fading quickly. I never realized you needed an MCU to passively open door handles. I carry 1 or 2 kids to and from my car sometimes and that is a pretty essential feature I'll look forward to working again.

Ironically the one media that works sometimes in my car is the radio! 3+ years and I only really listened occasionally to npr but now Tesla has forced me to enjoy the one feature I'll be losing. :)

No that's the part. It's the same for 2.5 and 2 but you've got to split the backup camera for 2.0. And besides, that's for hw3. That has nothing to do with MCU2.

Actually that is the entire kit with the MCU2 and HW3 for an upgrade. At least according to every AP2.5 person that has gotten it, that part number, along with some nuts, are the only items listed on the invoice. And the price for that kit is, wait for it, $2,500. (If it was just for the HW3 upgrade it would be free.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: croman
Actually that is the entire kit with the MCU2 and HW3 for an upgrade. At least according to every AP2.5 person that has gotten it, that part number, along with some nuts, are the only items listed on the invoice. And the price for that kit is, wait for it, $2,500. (If it was just for the HW3 upgrade it would be free.)

So maybe I'll get the whole enchilada when it gets in? That would be great.

all of them, 2 is probably the easiest, providing

a) you have the money, and can work out all the associated changes
b) you have the ability (or know one of a few individuals) to hack the software

not going to be an MCU2 type upgrade though, and typically when I look at this kind of project I find it is better to trade for a later car.
There always those that like to test what is possible though, and invariably makes a good read

Reactions: KyleDay
all of them, 2 is probably the easiest, providing

a) you have the money, and can work out all the associated changes
b) you have the ability (or know one of a few individuals) to hack the software

not going to be an MCU2 type upgrade though, and typically when I look at this kind of project I find it is better to trade for a later car.
There always those that like to test what is possible though, and invariably makes a good read

Oh it's all about the journey.... my guess is that the first option is the easiest.... motor swap....

We will see. Scheduled for 2 weeks from yesterday. I'm definitely happy they agreed to help since my MCU is clearly fading quickly. I never realized you needed an MCU to passively open door handles. I carry 1 or 2 kids to and from my car sometimes and that is a pretty essential feature I'll look forward to working again.

Ironically the one media that works sometimes in my car is the radio! 3+ years and I only really listened occasionally to npr but now Tesla has forced me to enjoy the one feature I'll be losing. :)
July 2017 X100D _|_ Booked my MCU1->MCU2 upgrade ($2500) and AP2.0->FSD upgrade (prepaid Dec18) for 18-May-2020. I'll see what they say.

Infotainment Upgrade -- Autopilot Computer 2.0 with Full Self-Driving Capability _|_ Late April
Full Self-Driving Computer Installations -- Global Autopilot Computer: 2.0 and 2.5 _|_ Built March 2018 or earlier _|_ May

Last edited:
Ive read through much of the thread but still have a question that I hope someone can answer:
2017 90D with MCU1, HW2, and EAP.

Within my Tesla app, it offers upgrade to FSD for $4k usd.

My question: Does the $4k total include MCU2 and HW3 combined?