Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is clear to designers and engineers. The obvious answer is the human confirmation / verification compared to what the cars system thinks it sees. 1000s and 1000s of verification test are happening daily on 100s of styles and types of stoplights complication intersections. Not just simple 2-way "+".

Andrej Karpathy was in a recent video that showed stop signs being hand held (up or down), on vehicles (buses, etc), partially blocked (trees, other cars (bus), etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx7BXih7zx8

That's good information. I guess what I am saying that I'm not going to use a feature that brakes at a green light regardless of the design reason. I'll turn off that feature. :)

That's one thing I would never use in beta. What was Tesla thinking when they implemented a system that will brake even with a green light? That can cause some rear end collisions to your car from the ding dongs behind you. Oh wait, did Elon buy a personal injury law firm? :) Why do I say this? Wife has worked at one for 30 years and says traffic light intersection collisions are a big percentage of accident cases. Please use with caution. I'll use it when it gets perfected.
I think the alternative with this beta software was to not have it brake when it was unsure about red/green lights. Probably better to err on the side of caution.

I think the alternative with this beta software was to not have it brake when it was unsure about red/green lights. Probably better to err on the side of caution.
yea, good point and something that occurred to me. I guess I am too conservative by coming from the medical world where we didn't experiment and improve the product with customers :) I would not release this feature at all until perfected. Of course others will say Tesla has to test it and get information from somewhere. I would just hope it to be under controlled conditions. I guess this is the risk/reward tradeoff considered. I recommended against it.

Got my 2017 Model S, MCU1, HW 2.5, EAP back from Costa Mesa SC. Im very happy with the upgrade; the MCU2 is so snappy and autopilot feels more precise. BTW, I did not have to go through the recalibration process. Regarding the appointment, I requested for the infotainment upgrade through the app since I did not have FSD and was surprised I qualified.

Got my 2017 Model S, MCU1, HW 2.5, EAP back from Costa Mesa SC. Im very happy with the upgrade; the MCU2 is so snappy and autopilot feels more precise. BTW, I did not have to go through the recalibration process. Regarding the appointment, I requested for the infotainment upgrade through the app since I did not have FSD and was surprised I qualified.

Did you get the FSD computer or just MCU2?

How long between requesting in the app and your appointment date? Buena Park has been telling me the parts are on backorder for almost a month now.

How would you break your MCU1?
I'm sure people can think of ways to accelerate emmc aging which Tesla would never be able to detect. The chip being almost dead after few years would likely make it so much easier to just "push it over the edge". Then there are other, more destructive methods to make an MCU fail, which can also be extremely hard or simply too expensive to detect and prove. I don't want to be posting instructions or suggestions for unscrupulous people, so I'm going to leave it at that.

Did you do this? "To enable, shift your car into PARK and tap
Controls > Autopilot > Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta)"

5bxjlCL.jpg

I did not - thank you. Will enable and check it out.

Reactions: scottf200
I'm sure people can think of ways to accelerate emmc aging which Tesla would never be able to detect. The chip being almost dead after few years would likely make it so much easier to just "push it over the edge". Then there are other, more destructive methods to make an MCU fail, which can also be extremely hard or simply too expensive to detect and prove. I don't want to be posting instructions or suggestions for unscrupulous people, so I'm going to leave it at that.
Sounds stupid to me.

It works great. In practice, you end up pulling the autopilot lever before every intersection, regardless of light color. You can also tap the gas, but I prefer the lever. I'm sure at some point this will go away, but for now, it is what it is.

In case there's a question of "is it worth it", I say yes, since I use autopilot everywhere (along with lane changes via turn signal), and this takes out the stress/thought process of "will the car stop because there's a car in front of me at the light, or will I go through the red light if there isn't".

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and mspohr