Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody - I ordered the FSD computer installed in my 2017 S and thought I would be paying $2500 and getting the MCU swap as well. But they only swapped the HW 2.0 to FSD. $0 charge. Of course I'm happy to have kept my money, and glad to have FM, but what's the skinny on what I can expect from the car? Why were they recommending the MCU change originally?
I didn't know it was an option not to have that done. Thx
You have to document what you see with this 'option' and how FSD is working for you relative to your past 'knowledge'. Most of us have gone the combo FSD/MCU2 upgrade route. I for one want to know what you see on the drivers screen relative to cones/garbage cans/street marking/etc. and how fast it is :)

You have to document what you see with this 'option' and how FSD is working for you relative to your past 'knowledge'. Most of us have gone the combo FSD/MCU2 upgrade route. I for one want to know what you see on the drivers screen relative to cones/garbage cans/street marking/etc. and how fast it is :)
I can speak to that. 2017 MS 75D with 2.5 and MCU 1 originally. Kicking around the MCU upgrade but thinking may trade this car when Cybertruck arrives. Anyway, had the new FSD for about 2 or 3 weeks. No cones/garbage cans. Graphics are all in the IC and consist of cars, cyclists, stoplights and stop signs. I never browse the web in the car, but suspect it is slow as ever since that's on the MCU. Map loads seem about the same, but I never had much problem with them. Stop lights/signs have been pretty much flawless as far as I can tell. Can't think of a single instance it didn't catch an actual stop sign. Had some (understandable) phantom stops for overhead street lights for a walking trail crossing where the lights are only activated when a trail user hits the crosswalk button. Stops for those lights even though no lights are on at all.

FSD/HW3 is already available in Europe (at least in Switzerland !). I have an appointment on the 18th of June for FSD/HW3 upgrade confirmed and may be MCU2 upgrade as well (to be confirmed). Model S 12/2017 (HW2.5 / FSD).
I'm in Switzerland as well, and very interested in upgrading from AP2 to AP3.
Were you contacted by Tesla about the upgrade or was it you asking them? Was it through the app, or you spoke directly to a Tesla representative? Thanks.

Hey everybody - I ordered the FSD computer installed in my 2017 S and thought I would be paying $2500 and getting the MCU swap as well. But they only swapped the HW 2.0 to FSD. $0 charge. Of course I'm happy to have kept my money, and glad to have FM, but what's the skinny on what I can expect from the car? Why were they recommending the MCU change originally?
I didn't know it was an option not to have that done. Thx

Are you saying they did the HW2.0 to HW3.0 retrofit without MCU1 to MCU2 ?

Reactions: Country Roads
just picked It up. So far, super snappy! Cameras were at about 90% calibration but with a 30 mi drive, they’re now fully calibrated.

will make some videos over the next couple days and advise
Buena Park pushed back another six weeks to the middle/end of July. I did get them to send me the emailed estimate, and notice they only have 9874562-00-A listed, and it has no charge. Did your invoice from Costa Mesa include 1582613-00-A as well? I'm wondering if they think I only want the FSD computer (and didn't order the MCU), hence the delay in getting the parts.

I'm in Switzerland as well, and very interested in upgrading from AP2 to AP3.
Were you contacted by Tesla about the upgrade or was it you asking them? Was it through the app, or you spoke directly to a Tesla representative? Thanks.
I made an appointment for the 25.05.2020 through the Tesla app for FSD and MCU2 upgrade. I went to the SC on the 24.05.2020 and ask. They told me they could do the FSD/HW3 upgrade but not the MCU2 upgrade. So I moved my appointment to the 18.06.2020 hopping they will get the MCU2 upgrade for my car by the time. Anyway if they don't have it, I will go just for the FSD/HW3 upgrade and make an other appointment for the MCU2 upgrade. I will keep you informed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: f205v

My initial quick impressions following my free FSD computer installation without the MCU upgrade (2017 Model S; MCU1, HW 2.0 ->FSD):
  • MCU 1 map rendering and the like not any faster
  • Better lines painted on the road in the IC, more lanes shown to the left;
  • Better rendering of pick-up trucks and motorcycles in the display
  • Haven't driven by any cones yet, so can't comment there
  • It did not display stop lights as I went through intersections with autopilot on. Will study this more. Stop signs too.
  • MUCH BETTER AUTOPILOT on my curvy country road drive home. Old version almost killed me in multiple spots. New version successfully navigated the ~5 miles of windy roads.

I made an appointment for the 25.05.2020 through the Tesla app for FSD and MCU2 upgrade. I went to the SC on the 24.05.2020 and ask. They told me they could do the FSD/HW3 upgrade but not the MCU2 upgrade. So I moved my appointment to the 18.06.2020 hopping they will get the MCU2 upgrade for my car by the time. Anyway if they don't have it, I will go just for the FSD/HW3 upgrade and make an other appointment for the MCU2 upgrade. I will keep you informed.
The thought occurred to me that I don't know why Tesla doesn't offer a small discount for people that want to do the MCU2 and HW3 at that same time. Seems like it would same them a little bit of labor since they have to do the hw3 for free anyway.

My initial quick impressions following my free FSD computer installation without the MCU upgrade (2017 Model S; MCU1, HW 2.0 ->FSD):
  • MCU 1 map rendering and the like not any faster
  • Better lines painted on the road in the IC, more lanes shown to the left;
  • Better rendering of pick-up trucks and motorcycles in the display
  • Haven't driven by any cones yet, so can't comment there
  • It did not display stop lights as I went through intersections with autopilot on. Will study this more. Stop signs too.
  • MUCH BETTER AUTOPILOT on my curvy country road drive home. Old version almost killed me in multiple spots. New version successfully navigated the ~5 miles of windy roads.
Actually, I have also noticed the much better autopilot drive on our windy road and I also have mcu1 and hw2. So sometime in the last couple months there was a firmware update with significant improvements. Before that time, I would never trust AP on one of our roads up here.

It did not display stop lights as I went through intersections with autopilot on. Will study this more. Stop signs too.
Did you do this? "To enable, shift your car into PARK and tap
Controls > Autopilot > Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta)"

5bxjlCL.jpg

Did you do this? "To enable, shift your car into PARK and tap
Controls > Autopilot > Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta)"

5bxjlCL.jpg

That's one thing I would never use in beta. What was Tesla thinking when they implemented a system that will brake even with a green light? That can cause some rear end collisions to your car from the ding dongs behind you. Oh wait, did Elon buy a personal injury law firm? :) Why do I say this? Wife has worked at one for 30 years and says traffic light intersection collisions are a big percentage of accident cases. Please use with caution. I'll use it when it gets perfected.

Reactions: croman
What was Tesla thinking when they implemented a system that will brake even with a green light?
This is clear to designers and engineers. The obvious answer is the human confirmation / verification compared to what the cars system thinks it sees. 1000s and 1000s of verification test are happening daily on 100s of styles and types of stoplights complication intersections. Not just simple 2-way "+".

Andrej Karpathy was in a recent video that showed stop signs being hand held (up or down), on vehicles (buses, etc), partially blocked (trees, other cars (bus), etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx7BXih7zx8