Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has said that MCU2 upgrades for MCU1 cars that have not purchased FSD will be "in the future" ever since they announced the upgrade. They made it clear that the priority was upgrading cars that had purchased FSD. So it's not a $6500 upgrade, you just need to have purchased FSD (or purchase it) in order to qualify for upgrade right now.

I was told 1-2 months by my SC on Friday. At this point I am growing tired of the different responses I am getting from them. I had appointment 2 weeks ago to get my AP2 upgraded to AP3. Mobile tech came out and naturally didn't have the harness required so ordered it. I followed up on Friday and was told it was in stock and asked when I wanted to schedule it. I inquired about doing the MCU2 upgrade at the same time. Got a response back about an hour later saying "we are still waiting for the 2.0 MCU retrofit kits to upgrade to the infotainment. We do not expect a release for another 2 months."

I am now trying to clarify if I can still get my AP2 upgraded since the parts are in and I have already signed off on the invoice where I can see both the new AP3 hardware and the required harness.

I have been trying to get my Model S AP2 MCU1 upgraded to MCU2 for about 30 days now. Yesterday, my service service completed my AP2 to FSD upgrade. So, I can tell you that some service centers will do this upgrade separate from the MCU upgrade.

I also heard that MCUs are in short supply due to COVID-19 related supply chain disruption and Tesla is reserving a large portion of existing part supply to use for repairs of cars that have MCUs that stop working (on existing cars) rather than allowing the inventory to be used for MCU upgrades. I’m anxious to get my MCU upgrade, but can you imagine if you had MCU2 and it stopped working and you couldn’t get a replacement?

My take away from this is to be polite, kind, but persistent with Tesla and the upgrade will get done. I’m now scheduled for a July 3 service appointment to get the upgrade, but I’ll continue to check in weekly with my SC.

Made another appointment attempt for the second time with Orlando SC last night. Got a text this morning saying they canceled it due to lack of MCU parts. Got a second text saying they have ordered the parts so that may be progress. The second text also asks if I could associate ownership to my vehicle. No idea what they mean by that anyone seen that before? They haven't answered yet when I asked for clarification.
Got an Email today that they have ordered my new MCU. This is the furthest I've gotten in the process so maybe light at the end of the tunnel.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
I have been trying to get my Model S AP2 MCU1 upgraded to MCU2 for about 30 days now. Yesterday, my service service completed my AP2 to FSD upgrade. So, I can tell you that some service centers will do this upgrade separate from the MCU upgrade.

I also heard that MCUs are in short supply due to COVID-19 related supply chain disruption and Tesla is reserving a large portion of existing part supply to use for repairs of cars that have MCUs that stop working (on existing cars) rather than allowing the inventory to be used for MCU upgrades. I’m anxious to get my MCU upgrade, but can you imagine if you had MCU2 and it stopped working and you couldn’t get a replacement?

My take away from this is to be polite, kind, but persistent with Tesla and the upgrade will get done. I’m now scheduled for a July 3 service appointment to get the upgrade, but I’ll continue to check in weekly with my SC.

Yep. I was able to clear up the confusion with my SC and had the AP2 upgrade done yesterday. I inquired while I was there about the MCU2 upgrade and was told the same thing you said regarding them being in short supply right now. I will follow up in a few weeks to see if anything has changed. Just happy that I at least have working dashcam/sentry mode now along with the new HW3 autopilot features.

Tesla has said that MCU2 upgrades for MCU1 cars that have not purchased FSD will be "in the future" ever since they announced the upgrade. They made it clear that the priority was upgrading cars that had purchased FSD. So it's not a $6500 upgrade, you just need to have purchased FSD (or purchase it) in order to qualify for upgrade right now.

I wonder if that's because a lot of the work is the same. The effort required to take it apart to upgrade MCU2, you might as well go to FSD at the same time. It also extends the timeframe hoping the owners buy FSD I suppose.

The interesting question is - what if I have a car that does not have FSD; but a failed MCU1. Would an MCU2 Upgrade be an option at that point? Or would they be forced to go with a MCU1? If it is based on work, it would seem silly to replace with a MCU1 at that point.

I wonder if that's because a lot of the work is the same. The effort required to take it apart to upgrade MCU2, you might as well go to FSD at the same time. It also extends the timeframe hoping the owners buy FSD I suppose.

The interesting question is - what if I have a car that does not have FSD; but a failed MCU1. Would an MCU2 Upgrade be an option at that point? Or would they be forced to go with a MCU1? If it is based on work, it would seem silly to replace with a MCU1 at that point.
I always thought the HW3 upgrade took 30 minutes and mobile could do it, the computer replacement needed only removing the glove compartment, etc. Not so?

The MCU replacement is, of course, much more complex (and includes replacement the IC also).

I always thought the HW3 upgrade took 30 minutes and mobile could do it, the computer replacement needed only removing the glove compartment, etc. Not so?

The MCU replacement is, of course, much more complex (and includes replacement the IC also).

Maybe I have my wires mixed up? I thought I saw a couple of threads that stated the dash had to be removed. I haven't been keeping up with it too much since I'm not in the camp.

Maybe I have my wires mixed up? I thought I saw a couple of threads that stated the dash had to be removed. I haven't been keeping up with it too much since I'm not in the camp.
I definitely heard several times the S and X HW3 computer upgrade was simple and mobile could elect to do it. The 3 isn't because of the water cooling. Dash removal for the MCU, of course.

I watched the mobile tech do it the first time they tried to upgrade to HW3. Glovebox, side dash trim piece and I think the dash trim piece above the glovebox area. It took him maybe 20 mins to get it all out and new one installed.

He said the majority of the time spent they are waiting for the software to update which is my guess as to why they stopped doing mobile service for these (at least in my area).

Cross-posting from the Model X thread...figure it's valuable here as well:

Picked up my Model X today after yesterday's AP2.0/MCU1 -> FSD/MCU2 upgrade. A few brief thoughts:
  • Dropped off at 9am, car was ready by 5:23pm same day (also had front tires replaced).
  • MCU2 is so darn fast. EVERYTHING is snappier. Almost worth the upgrade on it's own.
  • Tested Netflix, works great...after I turned off WiFi (apparently Netflix is blocked on Tesla's Wifi)
  • Could be crazy but I feel like even some of the sounds are different (e.g. the blinker)
  • Popped in my SanDisk High Endurance microSD and Rocketek reader and TeslaCam is working great. Can watch the clips on the viewer. Haven't tried sentry footage yet but it's active.
  • Since owning this car I don't think I've once seen full LTE bars on my car. Saw it consistently on the drive home.
  • Calibration took about 10 minutes
  • Love the new visualizations on the IC
  • Autopilot seems MUCH smoother. I have a winding rural road by my house (35MPH) which AP2.0 used to try and kill me on. The new hardware ran it silky smooth. Zero issues. Can't wait to try some highway driving.
  • Downloading Navigation data as we speak.
Which brings me to the first issue I found. Upon getting to our complex, the GPS HomeLink tried to fire like normal, but the gate didn't open. Hmmm. Then when I got to my house, our garage door wouldn't open. No problem, I thought, I should just reprogram the HomeLink. Can't do it. It's stuck in a loop. It "prepares" to program the door, but then goes back to the main screen. I rebooted the MCU but it wouldn't fix it. It would seem my HomeLink is basically disabled. I set up an appointment in the app for Monday.

Overall, as someone who bought FSD during the fire sale that lasted a week or so ($2K), the added cost of the Infotainment upgrade is a no-brainer (especially as I'm out of warranty an my old MCU was getting slower and slower). I never use FM/XM so there is no loss there. It feels like a new car. Plus, as a guy with three kids, I spend A LOT of time sitting in parking lots waiting for activities to finish. I'll be getting some use out of the additional entertainment apps. Two thumbs way up...once I get HomeLink fixed.

Could be crazy but I feel like even some of the sounds are different (e.g. the blinker)

You aren't crazy, they are different! I noticed this too. I didn't appreciate the point of "Joe Mode" when I had MCU1 as I never had an issue in which the car notifications/sounds were ever really too loud. But after the upgrade I totally understood it. After switching "Joe Mode" on, it is much more tolerable and what I am used to.

I think MCU2 will be an option in the near future.

Cross-posting from the Model X thread...figure it's valuable here as well:

Picked up my Model X today after yesterday's AP2.0/MCU1 -> FSD/MCU2 upgrade. A few brief thoughts:
  • Dropped off at 9am, car was ready by 5:23pm same day (also had front tires replaced).
  • MCU2 is so darn fast. EVERYTHING is snappier. Almost worth the upgrade on it's own.
  • Tested Netflix, works great...after I turned off WiFi (apparently Netflix is blocked on Tesla's Wifi)
  • Could be crazy but I feel like even some of the sounds are different (e.g. the blinker)
  • Popped in my SanDisk High Endurance microSD and Rocketek reader and TeslaCam is working great. Can watch the clips on the viewer. Haven't tried sentry footage yet but it's active.
  • Since owning this car I don't think I've once seen full LTE bars on my car. Saw it consistently on the drive home.
  • Calibration took about 10 minutes
  • Love the new visualizations on the IC
  • Autopilot seems MUCH smoother. I have a winding rural road by my house (35MPH) which AP2.0 used to try and kill me on. The new hardware ran it silky smooth. Zero issues. Can't wait to try some highway driving.
  • Downloading Navigation data as we speak.
Which brings me to the first issue I found. Upon getting to our complex, the GPS HomeLink tried to fire like normal, but the gate didn't open. Hmmm. Then when I got to my house, our garage door wouldn't open. No problem, I thought, I should just reprogram the HomeLink. Can't do it. It's stuck in a loop. It "prepares" to program the door, but then goes back to the main screen. I rebooted the MCU but it wouldn't fix it. It would seem my HomeLink is basically disabled. I set up an appointment in the app for Monday.

Overall, as someone who bought FSD during the fire sale that lasted a week or so ($2K), the added cost of the Infotainment upgrade is a no-brainer (especially as I'm out of warranty an my old MCU was getting slower and slower). I never use FM/XM so there is no loss there. It feels like a new car. Plus, as a guy with three kids, I spend A LOT of time sitting in parking lots waiting for activities to finish. I'll be getting some use out of the additional entertainment apps. Two thumbs way up...once I get HomeLink fixed.

THANKS for the update! Mine is in getting installed as we speak. Did you notice any trim damage or new creaks or rattles after all the trim work they had to take apart and reinstall?

THANKS for the update! Mine is in getting installed as we speak. Did you notice any trim damage or new creaks or rattles after all the trim work they had to take apart and reinstall?

Took pictures before and after and didn't notice any trim damage. There is one tiny dot on my IC (either a stuck pixel or dirt) but it's in the lower right corner and I think I'll just live with it.

Update on HomeLink: I talked to the service center and they re-pushed the last firmware to me. Upon installing the existing HomeLink settings still didn't work, but this time instead of getting stuck in a loop it let me re-program it. I re-programmed all three with no issues and I'm good to go. Not sure if everyone will experience HomeLink needing to be re-programmed, but just an FYI.

Took pictures before and after and didn't notice any trim damage. There is one tiny dot on my IC (either a stuck pixel or dirt) but it's in the lower right corner and I think I'll just live with it.

Update on HomeLink: I talked to the service center and they re-pushed the last firmware to me. Upon installing the existing HomeLink settings still didn't work, but this time instead of getting stuck in a loop it let me re-program it. I re-programmed all three with no issues and I'm good to go. Not sure if everyone will experience HomeLink needing to be re-programmed, but just an FYI.

I can't wait for mine to be completed. Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade if I can get 5 bars LTE as you said. I've never seen it go above 2 bars in my car. I just hope there is no trim damage or screen anomalies as I'm super anal on that kind of stuff. :p

That makes perfect sense. What gives me pause is the delay. I’ve been scheduled for the combined MCU2/FSD upgrade three times. Every time, I’ve gotten a last-minute call telling me exactly the same thing: “Sorry, the parts haven’t arrived. Must reschedule.” What’s confusing is that if parts aren’t available because they’re reserved for MCU2 repairs, why accept the order in the first place? Instead, Tesla accepts the order, says it’ll be at the SC in a week, and then simply never ships it, but each time my SC contacts them, they claim it’ll “be there in a week.” There may be a logical explanation, but Tesla’s sadly predictable refusal to disclose it is downright customer-hostile.

Reactions: drklain and MIT_S60
That makes perfect sense. What gives me pause is the delay. I’ve been scheduled for the combined MCU2/FSD upgrade three times. Every time, I’ve gotten a last-minute call telling me exactly the same thing: “Sorry, the parts haven’t arrived. Must reschedule.” What’s confusing is that if parts aren’t available because they’re reserved for MCU2 repairs, why accept the order in the first place? Instead, Tesla accepts the order, says it’ll be at the SC in a week, and then simply never ships it, but each time my SC contacts them, they claim it’ll “be there in a week.” There may be a logical explanation, but Tesla’s sadly predictable refusal to disclose it is downright customer-hostile.
Mine was delayed once for a week and then the next week it came in. It is currently being installed.

On the disclosure ... certainly if they did disclose it then it would be put in several post like yours with various slants and then there would be a dozen articles with various slants written on it. I can't blame them for not wanting to disclose it. Hope that makes some sense.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I have a 2017 MCU1 / AP2 MS 75D. I added FSD for $2K when they had the short sale after they had announced AP3. I had been waiting around since March to be contacted for for the HW3 upgrade when I saw something on a Tesla page that suggested scheduling the upgrade through the app.

So I scheduled the MCU2 / HW3 upgrade and to my surprise they gave me an appointment about 1 week out. 3 days before the appointment they sent me a text indicating parts weren't ready with a suggestion that I push it back "about a week".

I rescheduled it for 1 week later. I called the SC the day before to confirm a loaner would be supplied which they confirmed (an old MX P90 so I got to try Ludicrous mode :).

The repair took 3 days which surprised me but I sense they didn't start working on it until the last day when the app changed from showing appointment details to showing that the remote access was disabled.

I'm very pleased with the dashcam which came up easily and the map and browser usability. I recall threads speculating whether AP2 cameras would be updated to color and I can confirm from the dashcam that there are at least 4 color cameras.

As advertised my AM and FM radios are gone. Between TuneIn in the car and Radio.com and IHeartRadio on my phone it's pretty well covered but it would be really nice if the latter 2 apps ran in the car (or TuneIn included all my stations.)

I just read in this thread that I could nag Tesla to restore my settings. I did that today and they complied within about an hour restoring my settings remotely (I was in the car but parked. Both screens went black then rebooted with a red "SERVICE MODE" watermark across the screen with subtitle "Speed Limited"). They told me how to toggle SERVICE MODE on and off on the phone when it persisted. The restored Homelinks do not work to open the garage doors, but all of my driver profiles and navigation destinations came back fine. Autopilot still can't handle the tricky local intersections that confused it before but it seems less inclined to slam on the brakes when a car crosses the path than it used to.

Tesla Service Mode 1.jpg
Tesla Service Mode 2.jpg