Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@TESLIFT - You clearly are not familiar with core charges. This is industry standard in many industries including the automotive one. It is not uncommon to replace items like alternators or engines and have a core charge....you get the new part for a discount if you return the old part (which they can then overhaul and resell). Yes, you own your MCU1. You can either pay full price ($3500) for an MCU2 or you can turn in your core MCU1 and get a $1000 discount on the price of MCU2. There is nothing shady about what Tesla is doing....as a matter of fact it is one of the rare things with respect to parts and service sales where Tesla is actually in line with industry standard.

@TESLIFT - You clearly are not familiar with core charges. This is industry standard in many industries including the automotive one. It is not uncommon to replace items like alternators or engines and have a core charge....you get the new part for a discount if you return the old part (which they can then overhaul and resell). Yes, you own your MCU1. You can either pay full price ($3500) for an MCU2 or you can turn in your core MCU1 and get a $1000 discount on the price of MCU2. There is nothing shady about what Tesla is doing....as a matter of fact it is one of the rare things with respect to parts and service sales where Tesla is actually in line with industry standard.

I got it now. Indeed, I did not know about this core charges and assumed the $2.5k was the “final” price of the MCU2. I guess it is MCU1 price +$2.5k. On the other hand, this could have been explained as “pay $2.5k and return your MCU1 or pay $3.5k”.
When you got a discounted price you are told so and the conditions that apply as well”
It is pity they could not get this lower enough to just pay $2.5k. I would like to sell the MCU1 and lower the whole cost...
Thanks all for your insight! I got it!

@viper2ko, the good news is that if your MCU1 is failing and you want MCU2, there's been a couple of folks now that had failing MCU1's and were able to persuade Tesla to let them skip MCU1 for repair and upgraded to MCU2.
One of those was still under warranty. If you want MCU2, you are likely in a good position to leverage getting if instead of MCU1.

@viper2ko, the good news is that if your MCU1 is failing and you want MCU2, there's been a couple of folks now that had failing MCU1's and were able to persuade Tesla to let them skip MCU1 for repair and upgraded to MCU2.
One of those was still under warranty. If you want MCU2, you are likely in a good position to leverage getting if instead of MCU1.

My car is barely under warranty. 49k miles. I had a decision to make, pay the eventual $2500 for mcu2 or get an xcare warranty for 4600, covers me an extra 5 years and 60k miles. I opted for the xcare as I get a sense owning this car without any protection would get pricey (AC, on board charger, door handles)

My car is barely under warranty. 49k miles. I had a decision to make, pay the eventual $2500 for mcu2 or get an xcare warranty for 4600, covers me an extra 5 years and 60k miles. I opted for the xcare as I get a sense owning this car without any protection would get pricey (AC, on board charger, door handles)

Extended warranties have never benefited me. Instead of buying the extended warranty right away for my Tesla for $500 less than now, I invested the money into TSLA and made 3 times the amount. But it’s a gamble either way. So far for 49k miles, my car has done well.

I picked up my S from the North Houston Service Center yesterday. Liking the new MCU and will post an update once I've had some time to drive with it.

Three follow up questions for the intelligentsia here:

1. Settings were NOT ported over. Don't care about the seat/mirrors/etc., BUT would like the driving records (I never reset my TRIP A and I like the lifetime stats there). Is it possible to request Tesla to copy over the relevant data from my old MCU to my new MCU after the swap? If so, what's the best point of contact to do so?

2. The MAP UPDATE has not yet downloaded (nor has the ARCADE update, but I think that's part of the MAP update?). Left the car on my wifi last night but still no update. What's the best M/O to get the MAP update pushed, assuming it is at all possible to get the update pushed? Edited to add - it appears the ARCADE update is NOT part of the MAP update.

3. Best storage option for dashcam? Found a few recommendations scattered across TMC but can't seem to find a clear consensus...not even sure if there needs to be one for a specific model vs critical attributes (i.e. buy whatever you want but just make sure it has a read/write speed above 300mb/s, etc.)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 2016, MS, MCU1/AP2.0. I think Tesla is making it very clear that MCU 1 is being left behind in any future updates in function, as evident by the new back up camera/side camera display. It's an old beaten horse that needs to be put out to pasture.

I decided to bite the bullet and scheduled the upgrade to MCU2. I just received notice of the following part number ordered, which is different than others I have seen posted. I have not received my service estimate yet. Has anyone seen this part listed? Usually, it is the same part number with "-A" that I have seen. What could this be "WITHOUT DISPLAY?" I had already scheduled the FSD computer upgrade but pushed out the appointment to allow the ordering of the MCU2 upgrade as well.

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874562-00-B

Reactions: drklain
Oct 2016, MS, MCU1/AP2.0. I think Tesla is making it very clear that MCU 1 is being left behind in any future updates in function, as evident by the new back up camera/side camera display. It's an old beaten horse that needs to be put out to pasture.

I decided to bite the bullet and scheduled the upgrade to MCU2. I just received notice of the following part number ordered, which is different than others I have seen posted. I have not received my service estimate yet. Has anyone seen this part listed? Usually, it is the same part number with "-A" that I have seen. What could this be "WITHOUT DISPLAY?" I had already scheduled the FSD computer upgrade but pushed out the appointment to allow the ordering of the MCU2 upgrade as well.

Glad you are receiving the parts ordering email. It seems to me, based on my experience, that this is a necessary step to schedule your service. It is possible to receive a service estimate without a parts order, but it seems like service centers currently have very low supply of infotainment upgrade components, so they have to order the parts.

I went through several iterations and 5 service estimates before my car went in for the upgrade yesterday. I did receive a parts ordered email, a parts shipped email, and finally (but after my car was in for the upgrade) a parts delivered email.

Originally, service centers were incorrectly putting the upgrade kit for an AP2.5 car on my service estimate:
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5- NA (9874561-00-A)

Then, after some back and forth, a different service center put the upgrade kit for a AP2.0 car on my service estimate:
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0- NA (9874562-00-A)

And, most recently, after switching to the Costa Mesa service center, the following parts were put on my service estimate (and these are the parts that were ordered):
MCU ASSY. W/DISPLAY, NO SIM, FUSED, NA(1451809-S0-B)
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER(1447934-00-E)

I do suspect that these parts are selected based on what is on hand at the service center. Your service center may have instrument clusters for MCU2 and even the display for MCU2. My service center may have needed both the MCU processor, display, AND the instrument cluster.

I hope your parts are shipped and delivered promptly.

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
I picked up my S from the North Houston Service Center yesterday. Liking the new MCU and will post an update once I've had some time to drive with it.

Three follow up questions for the intelligentsia here:

1. Settings were NOT ported over. Don't care about the seat/mirrors/etc., BUT would like the driving records (I never reset my TRIP A and I like the lifetime stats there). Is it possible to request Tesla to copy over the relevant data from my old MCU to my new MCU after the swap? If so, what's the best point of contact to do so?

3. Best storage option for dashcam? Found a few recommendations scattered across TMC but can't seem to find a clear consensus...not even sure if there needs to be one for a specific model vs critical attributes (i.e. buy whatever you want but just make sure it has a read/write speed above 300mb/s, etc.)

Thanks!

1. There is another message in this thread about potential options to recover migration data. This has been a great thread for this type of thing. It should be between PAGE 200 and here.

3. I've been researching the same thing. It looks like PureTesla.com makes the process painless. But I didn't want to pay the premium for someone to source the memory for me and properly format. So I ordered the following from Amazon:
SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam and Home Monitoring systems - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, Micro SD Card - SDSQQNR-256G-GN6IA

and I got the card reader bundle. But I understand that there are some challenges formatting the SD card properly, so I've deleted the partition added the partition back and formatted to exFAT. I haven't added the TeslaCam directory yet, but hoping that the "format" option from the car works. We'll see. More to report on that soon.

I just received a call from the Costa Mesa service center. Bludicrous2 (my Model S) should be available for pick up shortly! The service advisor said that the lead tech confirmed that the antenna connection was secure, that all my settings (including homelink) transfered, and that mobile access should work just fine. The 2020.20.12 firmware is loaded and the service center has started the map update for me and is going to insure that it installs prior to my picking up the car.

I'm extremely happy, thus far, with the work that they have done for me on this. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating. So I'll provide another update after I pick up the car and have a chance to try everything out first-hand.

That's what my Service Center just ordered for me. This is my invoice work lines with part numbers. I think they are trying to use my old screen (which is actually pretty new I think since I got a new MCU). If that's the case, I hope they'll discount the job but they didn't mark that as such. Everyone else has been getting new touchscreens as part of the $2500 package.

The line item 2 last part is the no display part. I received a service parts email with the same part description as yours listed above but they share the same part number. I also ordered my FSD computer separately and this could be just them cobbling together a full kit without ordering a whole one.

MCU2Upgrade.png

how come people are fine paying a 2nd time for a device they paid for already in the first place when they bought the car??!!
Tesla should not get allow to charge you for your own piece of device!!!
does any body fight this abuse back?
If Tesla stopped “stealing” them, they would run out of MCU1’s to rebuild for broken MCU1’s and then would have to replace MCU1’s with free MCU2’s. Imagine the hue and cry from those who paid $2500 for the upgrade.:D

That's what my Service Center just ordered for me. This is my invoice work lines with part numbers. I think they are trying to use my old screen (which is actually pretty new I think since I got a new MCU). If that's the case, I hope they'll discount the job but they didn't mark that as such. Everyone else has been getting new touchscreens as part of the $2500 package.

The line item 2 last part is the no display part. I received a service parts email with the same part description as yours listed above but they share the same part number. I also ordered my FSD computer separately and this could be just them cobbling together a full kit without ordering a whole one.

View attachment 553607

I just received the invoice for the work on my car and was charged $250 less than I anticipated. I promptly got a call saying I was charged for an MCU upgrade without a new screen, even though I received a new screen. So I was refunded and then charged again. It all happened on the app, so I don't have a copy of the old service invoice. But I think you are right and you shouldn't be paying the full amount if you aren't getting a new screen.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman

View attachment 553607

Am I reading this right...you decided to pursue the MCU upgrade? I’m debating what to do on that front.

Would be curious to know what factors went into your decision?

Am I reading this right...you decided to pursue the MCU upgrade? I’m debating what to do on that front.

Would be curious to know what factors went into your decision?

That mcu1 seems abandoned. I would like safety features like extra rear views and fsd visualizations. I don't value Netflix and a lot of what comes with mcu2 but I don't want stuttering dashcam.

I thought I could ride out a new fast and free MCU1 with the FSD computer but the more I see, the more I think Tesla will only do a bad job with MCU1 FSD cars...

I just received the invoice for the work on my car and was charged $250 less than I anticipated. I promptly got a call saying I was charged for an MCU upgrade without a new screen, even though I received a new screen. So I was refunded and then charged again. It all happened on the app, so I don't have a copy of the old service invoice. But I think you are right and you shouldn't be paying the full amount if you aren't getting a new screen.

I'll see what the final invoice total becomes. The invoice I approved shows "with new touchscreen" so I don't mind saving 250 and keeping my old (new) screen.

That mcu1 seems abandoned. I would like safety features like extra rear views and fsd visualizations. I don't value Netflix and a lot of what comes with mcu2 but I don't want stuttering dashcam.

I thought I could ride out a new fast and free MCU1 with the FSD computer but the more I see, the more I think Tesla will only do a bad job with MCU1 FSD cars...

Good to know. Just out of curiosity, how long do you plan to keep your S or is that not even a factor in your decision?

I have a Dec 2016 and I’m debating to purchase FSD (before Jun 30) and do the MCU upgrade, which means I keep the car at least another 3+ years or do nothing now and trade it in within the next 12 months or so.