Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SC told me on May 12 to try again in a couple of months. So I scheduled another visit this Monday for July 21. Got a response today that they had ordered parts, but just HW3 upgrade is listed. It also said parts in stock are not listed at this time. I'll be interested to see the initial invoice. At this time I'd be happy to have just HW3 and get MCU2 when availability is better. I did ask for the replacement screen as well. I'd be really surprised if they haven't performed this upgrade many times by now given all the Teslas we have here. But they're sure not acting like it.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I just upgraded my December 2017 Model S AP2.5/MCU1 to AP3/MCU2. Wow!! What a difference. My center screen is so much more responsive. It feels like I have a brand new car. For anyone on the fence, I highly recommend upgrading. Why buy a new car, when you can upgrade your own car for a minimal cost.
I'm still on the edge. Would love to do it, but my kids favorite radio station is not on Tunin.

Give me radio.com or an option to pay more for FM and I'm in 100%!!!

How many brand new cars out there do not have FM?

I am glad that it does work so well and the option is available.

I just upgraded my December 2017 Model S AP2.5/MCU1 to AP3/MCU2. Wow!! What a difference. My center screen is so much more responsive. It feels like I have a brand new car. For anyone on the fence, I highly recommend upgrading. Why buy a new car, when you can upgrade your own car for a minimal cost.

I keep reading these reviews and I’m puzzled. I got my MCU2 upgrade yesterday and aside from the internet browser now working, which let’s be honest if you’re just commuting in your car you’re not going to use much, I haven’t noticed too much difference. Someone said their scroll wheels were super responsive, mine seem the same as they did Monday morning when I dropped it off. I’m glad sentry mode will work now. And having the theater will be nice for charging on road trips. But overall I’m kind of “meh” about it.

Anecdotal evidence, but evidence nonetheless of AP1/0 upgrade support

Attachments

• 5F967C3D-E36C-479E-B225-A4DD85CF9FFC.png
    5F967C3D-E36C-479E-B225-A4DD85CF9FFC.png
    683.5 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: dskillz and Evee
I'm still on the edge. Would love to do it, but my kids favorite radio station is not on Tunin.

Give me radio.com or an option to pay more for FM and I'm in 100%!!!

How many brand new cars out there do not have FM?

I am glad that it does work so well and the option is available.
For me, FM radio didn’t matter. I don’t think I ever turned it on. I either stream or play songs off my phone. My family subscribes to Apple Music, so I have access to tons of music though my phone.

I keep reading these reviews and I’m puzzled. I got my MCU2 upgrade yesterday and aside from the internet browser now working, which let’s be honest if you’re just commuting in your car you’re not going to use much, I haven’t noticed too much difference. Someone said their scroll wheels were super responsive, mine seem the same as they did Monday morning when I dropped it off. I’m glad sentry mode will work now. And having the theater will be nice for charging on road trips. But overall I’m kind of “meh” about it.
It’s definitely crazy to hear you say this. I noticed the difference immediately. I went to check my Autopilot settings, and when I tapped the car icon, the menu tabs popped up instantly. I had major lag on MCU1. And on MCU1 I didn’t even use the maps in the center screen because if I tried to zoom in or move them around they took forever to render. And adding theater mode, games, a working web browser, and 4 camera dash cam is icing on the cake.

Got it. I also bought FSD for $3K during recent sale last month mainly to get HW3.0. I'm also interested in MCU2 upgrade.

I have read people with HW2.0 getting free HW3 upgrade when they do the infotainment upgrade for $2500 without FSD, Not sure If they will do the same for HW2.5 cars.
My service center did say that MCU2 and HW3 had to be installed together. It didn’t sound like it was an option to just install MCU2. But even if they installed HW3 for free, you would still need the software for FSD so you should still feel ok about paying for FSD.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
My service center did say that MCU2 and HW3 had to be installed together. It didn’t sound like it was an option to just install MCU2. But even if they installed HW3 for free, you would still need the software for FSD so you should still feel ok about paying for FSD.

I think it's ok to pay for FSD if you don't have EAP. EAP package includes most of the features except traffic light/stop sign interaction. I hope Tesla releases more "usable" FSD features to justify the cost.
Regardless, I'm onboard with FSD... :)

I think it's ok to pay for FSD if you don't have EAP. EAP package includes most of the features except traffic light/stop sign interaction. I hope Tesla releases more "usable" FSD features to justify the cost.
Regardless, I'm onboard with FSD... :)
Agreed! The tech in the car is a big reason why I love it. Having the option to upgrade versus buy a new car was an easy choice.

I just tried to schedule the Infotainment upgrade in the app and got this response back:
"Also, the infotainment upgrade is available for purchase on the tesla website but you must use a lap top or desk top computer to log in and purchase it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding."

Anybody heard this before? I can't find anywhere on the website to "purchase" the Infotainment upgrade.

Reactions: Gt1948