Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So screens may be in short supply, but...

I just had an MCU2 upgrade on my Oct 2016 MS, AP2, MCU1, FSD pre-purchased. The service center ordered the "B" part number on the MCU2 upgrade (no screen). The part arrived in 2 1/2 weeks, and I scheduled an appointment for a week after once the shipping dates were emailed to me. The service center did amazingly fast work, installing the MCU in one day, while also replacing a faulty door handle, a left headlight, and an HVAC fan with a failing ball bearing (all warranty work that I let pile up). Plus, FSD computer installation.

And, they put in a new screen with the MCU upgrade (separate part number). I mentioned to them that I was not expecting a new screen and was expecting a $250 discount instead, and asked them to please make sure a new screen was installed. They confirmed the new screen (and I can tell it's new just by a different feel to the touch of the glass), plus on top of that, they gave me the $250 discount due to the poor communication.

Sometimes Tesla's service still does great things. The communication before the appointment was terrible (longer story with that), but in the end, they impressed me. One minor scratch on the dash aluminum molding, just to add character to the other minor dents and scratches that I have added.

1. MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0 - NORTH AMERICA
    Part #: 9874562-00-A
    Order Date: June 9, 2020
    Ship Date: Pending

I’ve been waiting over a month for parts to arrive. And this is in the Bay Area.

Same here but with the Agoura Hills SC.

"Parts Outstanding
    Order Date: June 2, 2020
    Ship Date: Pending"

Basically this is month two of them scheduling it, wait till the day before.. tell me it hasn't arrived and then repeat the next month. My appt is scheduled for the 31st now and I'm already bummed anticipating the same message on the 31st. I thought the FSD was supposed to give us some sort of priority but I what more can you do ?

Reactions: cybergates
Same here but with the Agoura Hills SC.

"Parts Outstanding
    Ship Date: Pending"

Basically this is month two of them scheduling it, wait till the day before.. tell me it hasn't arrived and then repeat the next month. My appt is scheduled for the 31st now and I'm already bummed anticipating the same message on the 31st. I thought the FSD was supposed to give us some sort of priority but I what more can you do ?
There’s reportedly a shortage on screens, so if you want it sooner you'll need the "-B" part which doesn't come with the replacement screen. Otherwise, it's a matter of patience.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
To be clear, it depends on the service centers. Just because you have the B part does NOT mean you aren't getting a new screen. Some service centers write it up as 2 or even 3 different line items and part numbers in the invoice. Mine was a B part number which said no screen, but one of the other line items detailed an MCU upgrade with Screen. It does get confusing....See the invoice I got (Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500). Note that item 3 is the upgrade with the B part number and no display, but line item 1 includes the display. I had both the MCU1->MCU2 and AP2->AP3 upgrades done at the same time.

To be clear, it depends on the service centers. Just because you have the B part does NOT mean you aren't getting a new screen. Some service centers write it up as 2 or even 3 different line items and part numbers in the invoice. Mine was a B part number which said no screen, but one of the other line items detailed an MCU upgrade with Screen. It does get confusing....See the invoice I got (Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500). Note that item 3 is the upgrade with the B part number and no display, but line item 1 includes the display. I had both the MCU1->MCU2 and AP2->AP3 upgrades done at the same time.

MCU upgrade invoice1.png

Adding a possible AP1.0 car upgrade part number. I decided to try my hand at getting things scheduled via the App this weekend and today they generated an estimate for my car and scheduled a tentative appointment for the end of this month. We'll see if that actually happens though as the screen shortages seem to be impacting folks and I'm likely behind them in line.

As you can see in the screenshot, the part number for "MCU INTEL UPGRADE-For TegraAP1.0- NA" shows 9874564-00-A instead of the previously seen 9874564-00-B (reported in the spreadsheet picture that is floating around in this thread). Not sure what the difference is as the gist of the service work seems to match the upgrade for the MCU and harness as we see in other posts.

Hope it actually happens in the timeline they projected but I'm not going to be surprised (or mad) if it gets pushed. I just hope the eMMC in the MCU1 can limp on another month or so...
MCU2_Estimate.png

• Informative
Reactions: sxnahm
Just got another email from service:

Parts Outstanding
    Ship Date: Pending
Yeah It's not looking like we will be getting our upgrades soon and or atleast at the Agoura Hills SC. That pending status made more during the pre quarter deliveries rush, now maybe things can start picking up?

Adding a possible AP1.0 car upgrade part number. I decided to try my hand at getting things scheduled via the App this weekend and today they generated an estimate for my car and scheduled a tentative appointment for the end of this month. We'll see if that actually happens though as the screen shortages seem to be impacting folks and I'm likely behind them in line.

As you can see in the screenshot, the part number for "MCU INTEL UPGRADE-For TegraAP1.0- NA" shows 9874564-00-A instead of the previously seen 9874564-00-B (reported in the spreadsheet picture that is floating around in this thread). Not sure what the difference is as the gist of the service work seems to match the upgrade for the MCU and harness as we see in other posts.

Hope it actually happens in the timeline they projected but I'm not going to be surprised (or mad) if it gets pushed. I just hope the eMMC in the MCU1 can limp on another month or so...View attachment 563794

just curious-
do you need to prepay this upgrade for them to get parts moving? Or do you post pay like any other normal service?