Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who already upgraded from mcu1 and ap2 to mcu2 and ap3.

2017 ms100d.

Is regen the same?
Also when you are off accelerator does the car stop and go on Hold?

Or you still have to press brake pedal to Hold.

Thanks.

My MX 90D went from MCU1+AP2.0 to MCU2+HW3.0/FSD. I haven’t noticed anything different regarding regen. I think the stronger regen and the “regen to brake hold stop” requires Raven upgraded front motor; I believe the permanent magnet motor in Raven cars and M3/MY doesn’t suffer efficiency loss as regen goes to 0 mph while the older induction motors lose efficiency on the final low speed regen.

My MX 90D went from MCU1+AP2.0 to MCU2+HW3.0/FSD. I haven’t noticed anything different regarding regen. I think the stronger regen and the “regen to brake hold stop” requires Raven upgraded front motor; I believe the permanent magnet motor in Raven cars and M3/MY doesn’t suffer efficiency loss as regen goes to 0 mph while the older induction motors lose efficiency on the final low speed regen.

Ok I understand now.
It won't have it like model 3.

Thanks.

Almost outrageous.
In Europe HW2 fellows like me (who have paid for FSD long ago) are stuck (MCU2 upgrade not available, HW3 upgrade only coming from HW2.5) and are praying that the eMMC doesn't die before (if ever) the upgrade becomes available... while in the US cars are getting AP-upgraded even without buying the FSD option.

I generally don't like to complain but it takes a lot to accept this non-sense.

I know this is a small group of people, but if anyone gets an MCU1->MCU2 upgrade who already has the Light Harmonic amp installed, please post if you are getting the loud "pop" sound on power-up as mentioned in one of the LH Amp threads. I'm just curious if it's a widespread problem with MCU2+LH, or maybe more of an isolated incident. Thanks.

@HankLloydRight Do you have MCU2 and LH amp without the pop?

I know this is a small group of people, but if anyone gets an MCU1->MCU2 upgrade who already has the Light Harmonic amp installed, please post if you are getting the loud "pop" sound on power-up as mentioned in one of the LH Amp threads. I'm just curious if it's a widespread problem with MCU2+LH, or maybe more of an isolated incident. Thanks.

And piggybacking on this question, can you provide a video showing what the pop sounds like?

Last edited:
Yes bought used. (no cpo now)
Took delivery last month June.

So I have 4 years confirmed by SC on the MCU1.
If I upgrade to MCU2 I will have only 2 years warranty.

Keep the MCU1. Let tesla keep replacing if it fails. By year 4 of the warranty there is a chance Tesla might be done with MCU1 and replace with mcu2 for free or have lost the NHTSA case and forced to redesign MCU1 with a reliable Emmc