Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told by the Tesla tech that holding the brakes doesn't really do anything in the rebooting process. She said that they originally recommended holding the brake peddle just to make sure that people don't reboot while the vehicle is in motion.
Just adding my 2¢ that I was also told by Tesla service that the brake thing was more of a safety precaution to make sure you weren't moving.

Not saying the hard reset isn't a possibility, but it does make sense that they would ideally want the car completely stopped during a computer reset, just in case.

My 2017 S is in the SC right now for the MCU2 upgrade (as well as getting the FSD upgrade).
Got the car back last night and everything is great. All my settings were carried forward. As expected I did need to reprogram both Homelinks (although the garage doors were still listed, they no longer did anything when pressed). The only thing I read about that didn't happen is converting my saved FM stations to Tunein favorites, so I did that manually.

It is nice that my S now matches everything my X has, including Sentry and Dashcam.

In Europe at the moment SC said it is impossible to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 if the car is already equiped with HW3 Écluse they don’t have procédure !
It’s only possible to upgrade first MCU to MCU2 and after HW2.0 or 2.5 to HW3 !

If you have HW3 (installation started in early 2019), then you should already have MCU2, which was installed in cars since mid-2018.

Had the MCU2 upgrade done on my 2013 today. What a difference! Still showing as “coming soon” on the website, but 100% can confirm it’s available for the older pre-AP cars now.

Consider yourself lucky. When the memory finally gave out on my 2013 I pressed hard for the MCU-2 upgrade but was told the home office wouldn't approve it. I would have gladly traded AM/FM for a working browser but the Cincinnati S.C. said no dice. Now the browser works once or maybe twice after a reboot then zilch. Add to that their refusal to provide a written warranty or even a receipt for my $1600 'repair' and you can see why I was less than impressed. My first 3 experiences with the S.C. were great. This time - not so much.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Consider yourself lucky. When the memory finally gave out on my 2013 I pressed hard for the MCU-2 upgrade but was told the home office wouldn't approve it. I would have gladly traded AM/FM for a working browser but the Cincinnati S.C. said no dice. Now the browser works once or maybe twice after a reboot then zilch. Add to that their refusal to provide a written warranty or even a receipt for my $1600 'repair' and you can see why I was less than impressed. My first 3 experiences with the S.C. were great. This time - not so much.
Try a different SC. Go for the smaller areas, even if it means driving to one further away. There are too many of us that have received it. Keep pushing.

Reactions: aerodyne
In Europe at the moment SC said it is impossible to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 if the car is already equiped with HW3 Écluse they don’t have procédure !
It’s only possible to upgrade first MCU to MCU2 and after HW2.0 or 2.5 to HW3 !

If you have HW3 (installation started in early 2019), then you should already have MCU2, which was installed in cars since mid-2018.

CHL is referring to people like me - started with HW2, upgraded to HW3 for FSD, and now want MCU2. I've requested the Infotainment upgrade via the app every month since late June. No luck.

Reactions: CHL and FMinMI