Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was note about this earlier for European customers where the law is to require DAB radio and they were told this will be available for them end of october 2020.

Probably our EU law requires FM radio. DAB+ is the successor for FM radio, but still not superseding FM entirely. For instance, not all car manufacturers ship it by default.

And indeed, we've been given the possibility to upgrade the tuner as well, for an additional amount of EUR 520,= (roughly 615$).
Upgrading only the MCU will cost EUR 2590,= (roughly 3065$) including taxes.

Upgraded, 2017, S100 D, 2.5 autopilot (ESD), and mcu 1. Totally agree with the review and really nice job describing the new infotainment system.

As an aside, there was some confusion about whether a new screen is include. The tech told me they used to have an option for just a new computer, but now all upgrades are new screens and computers.

No lag with voice controls, maps, streaming, or any other functions. The lag and what I think was "buggy" voice controls and streaming functions were very frustrating with mcu 1 and why I upgraded. Very, very fast. The visualization for FSD (I have Enhanced, but the upgrade allows me to toggle on/off FSD "visualizations") are great. One setting that was also not retained was Homelink. Not a big deal at all, just had to reprogram Homelink to my garage door. Tune-In is great for streaming my local radio stations. Not all local stations are streamed, but fortunately the stations I frequent are streamed on Tune-In.

I really feel that the upgrade was worth every penny. Maybe its me, but I feel like I just bought a new car.

In May I requested a combo upgrade for my 2017 Model S, AP3 and infotainment. I was told I would have to wait for infotainment parts, so I got my AP3 upgrade done by itself in July. Right after that I requested the infotainment upgrade and was told 6-10 weeks for parts, and we'll let you know when they're in.

Of course, I never heard anything back, so last week I once again put in a request through the app for the infotainment upgrade. I got the same auto-response via text message. I responded to that, pointing out I had gotten the same response over two months ago and never heard back. Shortly after that, I got a communication in the mailbox of my app, saying they had parts and I should schedule service. So I did. Supposedly they are coming to do this on Wednesday via Mobile Service.

From what I'm hearing here, it's possible that they still don't have parts for my specific situation and perhaps the Tesla person who scheduled me doesn't understand that. We shall see, probably Wednesday.
Well, got a text message yesterday: "Unfortunately at this time the infotainment upgrades are constrained. We do not have an ETA at this time on when they will be available again. The pricing is $2250 for infotainment without a new screen, $2500 for infotainment with a new screen. If you did not have any further questions, I can cancel your appointment on your behalf. I would recommend checking back in in a few months as we have been constrained for a few months already."

I asked about the rumor of an FM radio becoming part of the upgrade. "At this time, we do not have any additional information on whether FM radio will be added to the infotainment 2."

So there you have it. Still nothing.

Well, got a text message yesterday: "Unfortunately at this time the infotainment upgrades are constrained. We do not have an ETA at this time on when they will be available again. The pricing is $2250 for infotainment without a new screen, $2500 for infotainment with a new screen. If you did not have any further questions, I can cancel your appointment on your behalf. I would recommend checking back in in a few months as we have been constrained for a few months already."

I asked about the rumor of an FM radio becoming part of the upgrade. "At this time, we do not have any additional information on whether FM radio will be added to the infotainment 2."

So there you have it. Still nothing.

I wonder what made it "constrained"? I scheduled for the infotainment upgrade 2 weeks ago and it immediately came back saying they need to order the parts, but 3 days later, I got a notification in the app saying the parts are now available and I could schedule it. Sure enough, I went back to the app and this time it came back with a schedule for the upgrade instead of part needs to be ordered. I am in SoCal.

I wonder what made it "constrained"? I scheduled for the infotainment upgrade 2 weeks ago and it immediately came back saying they need to order the parts, but 3 days later, I got a notification in the app saying the parts are now available and I could schedule it. Sure enough, I went back to the app and this time it came back with a schedule for the upgrade instead of part needs to be ordered. I am in SoCal.
Good luck! What exactly is your configuration that's being upgraded?

My guess is the constrained supply is from coronavirus-related factory shut downs in the Spring. So hopefully should improve soon.

SC is also charging me a Rear Camera "HSD" Jumper. Has anyone else with a pre-AP Model S been charged for labor and a camera jumper?

View attachment 596596

Included, but no charge outside of the $2500+tax. My invoice included:

-Info Upgrade wit Replacement Touchscreen (1582613-00-A)
-MCU INTEL UPGRADE-For TegraAP1.0- NA(9874564-00-A)
-Rear View Camera HSD Jumper(1127304-00-B)
-ANTENNA , BLUETOOTH(1052393-00-B)