Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have FSD computer & MCU2 you should. If you have AP 2.0 or 2.5 computer + MCU2 I'm not sure. I just want to make sure everyone has them because they would be part of the reason for us to upgrade & it seems like some people report they don't have them. But I'm starting to think it's just a matter of knowing how to display them.

You're right. I had upgraded to MCU2/HW3 and didn't even think to check this. I HAD brought up the rear camera while driving, but there doesn't seem to be an option to display the side cameras in this mode. But in actual reverse mode, you CAN slide down on the screen and the side cameras appear.

@speedy, admittedly, its a bit awkward, but Try this. Sit in your car, bring up the rear view camera, press the parking cone in the left lower corner of the view. Then you should see the slide down arrow. Yes, it fills the center screen. We can be hopeful, they will simply give us that slider without the parking screen.

If you have FSD computer & MCU2 you should. If you have AP 2.0 or 2.5 computer + MCU2 I'm not sure. I just want to make sure everyone has them because they would be part of the reason for us to upgrade & it seems like some people report they don't have them. But I'm starting to think it's just a matter of knowing how to display them.
Hybridbear & Appleguru - yes, can confirm that I've got it. I just didn't know. They key is to hit that little caret symbol. Thanks.

A local Tesla owner on the MN Tesla Facebook group reported today that since getting MCU2 installed yesterday he can no longer send navigation destinations to his car from the Google Maps app on his phone. We use this feature multiple times per week. Is anyone else having that issue? Or are you still able to send navigation places from Google Maps to your car?

A local Tesla owner on the MN Tesla Facebook group reported today that since getting MCU2 installed yesterday he can no longer send navigation destinations to his car from the Google Maps app on his phone. We use this feature multiple times per week. Is anyone else having that issue? Or are you still able to send navigation places from Google Maps to your car?
Personally I never knew you could do this period so thanks for sharing!

Maybe its MFA or 2FA? Have you an alternate or new Gmail account you can use to see if its more secure than just userid/password?
I don't have a second email or MFA active. But for what it's worth... Sharing location to car works now lol. I tried sharing via Google Search first, and it gave me a "content sharing error". I tried again withing Google Maps afterwards, and it said it was sent successfully (this is what it said previously, even though it didn't pop up on my car's screen). I just went to check the car for the hell of it, and it had the nav directions up and running.

Not sure what's up, as my car was on the same wifi network/signal strength during today's failed attempts, and had good LTE signal for the other attempts too

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki
I can only speak from an iphone perspective, but it's probably similar for android. Basically, from any map application (Google or Apple maps), after you select a location, you can select the share function (the up arrow in a square symbol), and share it with the Tesla app. That's all there is to it.

Reactions: Akikiki
I can only speak from an iphone perspective, but it's probably similar for android. Basically, from any map application (Google or Apple maps), after you select a location, you can select the share function (the up arrow in a square symbol), and share it with the Tesla app. That's all there is to it.
And this works for you with MCU2? Because a number of other owners are reporting that it no longer works with MCU2.

Sending navigation destinations to my MCU2 equipped 2015 P85D from Google Maps app on my iPhone XS Max has always worked perfectly... before AND after my MCU2 upgrade through several software updates (currently running 2020.48.35.5)

• Helpful
Reactions: hybridbear
And this works for you with MCU2? Because a number of other owners are reporting that it no longer works with MCU2.

Before I posted that, I sent a location from my phone to the car, and it indicated it was sent, but I didn't verify it on the car. I have since gone out to the car and tried a couple of locations and they were all received ok, so yes it works fine on MCU2.

I must admit that with MCU2, I don't use it anymore as the faster map and voice commands makes it just as easy to set destinations.

We're able to still share locations with our upgraded MCU2 vehicles. It probably works 95% of the time. The other 5%, I figure the car is in a location with poor signal or switching from wifi to LTE, etc.