Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla just lost one customer, i know they dont care but i do !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be quite frank, we've all had issues with Tesla one way or another and yes, it is a pain in the butt. At the end of the day, you are paying for the technology that Tesla has and in doing so, you suffer from a lack of customer service, QA, and QC. Unfortunately, I feel this is not going to change in the near future UNTIL there are other manufacturers that have similar capabilities and who knows when that will be.

Anyhow, sorry to hear your experience and good luck moving forward.
It probably depends on where you live. I'm outside of Austin Texas and all 3 service appointments were completed in my driveway while I was drinking coffee inside. Granted they were nothing major, taillight fogged, tire rotation and damaged windshield wiper bottle from hitting a wooden block on the highway. In all cases I scheduled the appointment on my phone, picked the day and time, and it was done. Also when buying the M3, all was clean and easy by text and email. Maybe the difference between new and used process.

• Helpful
Reactions: SO16
I’ve had problems with a used car purchase from a local Nissan dealer. Ready to call the atty general office and/or hire a lawyer for a letter.

I’m sure COVID hit them hard, but from someone i know that also works for a different dealer under the same auto group - they used the opportunity to furlough 1/2 the biz office people.

Not sure I’ll consider another Nissan.

it was for a kids first car.

I love my Model X -- my second one, but Tesla has the most customer indifferent policies and Customer Service attitude I've ever encountered. I had big issues with my second car purchase, and they treated me with less concern and care than I get at the Dollar Store.

Heaven help them if they ever have to compete for customers, rather than have an extraordinary product.

To be frank, we have NOT all had issues with Tesla. The few issues are broadcast over some forums to make it seem as if there are hundreds of cases, while there are not. Yes, we pay for technology, but you don't have to give up basic service, what little there is of that. (I've had four Teslas, and have never returned for service after picking them up at the SC. That's in over 200,000 miles) Other mfg.s use service as a major profit center, with constant oil changes and filter replacements, brake service (Tesla brakes will last forever since regen has gotten so good) etc., etc., etc.

I feel it is a Service Center issue, with some SCs being really good, and others not seeming to care. My recommendation would be for people to shop around. I have a SC that is about fifty miles from me, but after doing business with them a couple times, I travel 115 miles to use a dealer (NOT service) who treats me better. That was three cars ago, and my satisfaction levels have increased considerably.
I agree. Most Tesla owners get upset when the news covers a singe Autopilot accident, with no injuries, while ignoring the thousands of ICE car accidents. I believe the same thing happens with service. Bad service is real, and happens, but I think there are far more that go well. My experience was a no issue purchase, a no issue delivery, and the one service (FSD computer upgrade) was also no issue. I also have a Chevy Bolt, and the Bolt forum is full of stories of people who have “heard” the stories of poor Tesla service, which is not representative of true experiences.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: BlindPass and SO16
I agree. Most Tesla owners get upset when the news covers a singe Autopilot accident, with no injuries, while ignoring the thousands of ICE car accidents. I believe the same thing happens with service. Bad service is real, and happens, but I think there are far more that go well. My experience was a no issue purchase, a no issue delivery, and the one service (FSD computer upgrade) was also no issue. I also have a Chevy Bolt, and the Bolt forum is full of stories of people who have “heard” the stories of poor Tesla service, which is not representative of true experiences.

If we know that good customer service is a systemwide abomination by design, it is not logical to conclude that the only people with negative experiences are the ones complaining here. It is more likely that pockets of good CS is the exception, and not by design. The fix for this is taking your business elsewhere, and it's great to choose between the 5 service centers in your city--you might get lucky. Notice, I had to use the word "lucky".

Well we decided to hold on Audi A6 and wait for Tesla to clear our charge and start over again. Actually our CC is now doing refund process, they said it will take longer only if Tesla dispute this charge but i dont think that will be the case.
I don`t want to go with another ICE vehicle only to regret year later.
Just to let some people know, Tesla now charge destination fee right after placing order, so i dont even see option to go by myself and pickup my car in California (and im in Nevada).
Purchasing NEW vehicle is probably different story.
And btw how i can change my sales advisor? How do i do that? After ordering i want my order to go to someone else. This guy is silent since i got in this trouble!

just call and speak to another sale advisor
They are not paid a commission
Just say that you are not happy with your current sales advisor and it will change
Be persistent, squeaky wheel gets the grease

Today had to setup an appointment because mobile app isn't connecting. Has worked on/off for days. No long dealing with texting once day passive aggressive crap. I demand they call. The Tech was great. Tesla needs to pull it's head out of it's charge-port ASAP. I'm telling everyone and anyone who will listen, don't buy one until service means something again. Certainly not buying one for me again, maybe ever, if they can't fix this.

All they need is to experience the service at my local Audi dealer. Copy/Paste that and all good.

1. phone numbers
2. humans to staff those phone numbers
3. letting a few parts/services be actually covered by warranty.

What we have here is the following:
-UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS: Resulting in complaints about policies like having to pay the destination fee when you order a USED Tesla and the policy of having to wait to get your refund, up to 8 weeks. As a private consultant, I had to wait up to 6 months to get paid by some the world's largest companies and government agencies. FACT: Tesla will make the refund payment under existing policy.
--Used cars are used. They have defects. Tesla warranties their CPO's so if you find defects, they will eventually be fixed. It may not take 5 minutes, like so many of our instant generation EXPECT, but eventually, it will be fixed.
-DOUBT THAT TESLA MONITORS this forum in the way some EXPECT: While there may be Tesla employees reading these forums, it is doubtful that the kinds of complaints we read about will be dealt with as a result of reading about them here. There is a process for filing complaints with a corporation. Use that process. Again, results will not be instant, and may never happen the way the complainant desires.
The process is a pain in the A#$ but that's the world in which we live.
-TESLA HIRES HUMANS all over the world: Because of that and since humans are far from perfect, it is a hit and miss proposition.
Sometimes, if a company is fortunate, they actually find an employee who cares about their job and the company they represent. But the truth be known, in this day and age, those kind of employees are few and far between. As fellow humans, if we have a bad experience with a human representing a company, we need to move on and hopefully find a human who actually cares and listens. How many of those do we honestly know???
-THE TIMES, THEY HAVE CHANGED: Tesla is not the only company that has moved away from as much human contact as possible.
For the past 15 years, companies have been searching for ways to automate contact with their service departments. Called the phone company lately?? How about your doctor's office?? Press 1, Press 5, Press ......forget it. OH, if we could only go back to the days of human customer service!! Not gonna' happen. Yes there are still some small businesses that try to give that human touch but they are fewer and fewer. We'd all love Tesla to be one of those companies but with techno world we live in that is likely too much to expect.
MORAL TO STORY: Tesla is far from perfect, especially in many of their service centers. Many have experienced great service from mobile units and even some service centers in some areas, but the company has been unable to provide a consistent sales and service experience. With the pace of Tesla's growth it is unlikely they'll be able to fix the kinds of problems that cause the kinds of complaints we read about on this and other Tesla forums. So our EXPECTATION should be low in this regard, and if we have a better experience, we should be happy that we didn't have to put up with the crap that others have complained about.

P.S. My experiences with mobile service have been great. Not so much with the service centers where turnover and procedures seem to change anytime I have to stop in and the people skills are sorely lacking.

There was a video about service and they said the best thing they did was go to their service center and ask for their number directly for that location. Made for much easier communication. Not sure how well that works. I just use the app and they text me. Works sufficiently albeit not as quickly as a phone call. The good news is that it’s easy to save the conversation.

Reactions: LN1_Casey
To be quite frank, we've all had issues with Tesla one way or another and yes, it is a pain in the butt. At the end of the day, you are paying for the technology that Tesla has and in doing so, you suffer from a lack of customer service, QA, and QC. Unfortunately, I feel this is not going to change in the near future UNTIL there are other manufacturers that have similar capabilities and who knows when that will be.

Anyhow, sorry to hear your experience and good luck moving forward.
No, not everyone has had problems with Tesla.....we haven't. :)

Reactions: kfly212 and SO16
What we have here is the following:
-UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS: Resulting in complaints about policies like having to pay the destination fee when you order a USED Tesla and the policy of having to wait to get your refund, up to 8 weeks. As a private consultant, I had to wait up to 6 months to get paid by some the world's largest companies and government agencies. FACT: Tesla will make the refund payment under existing policy.
--Used cars are used. They have defects. Tesla warranties their CPO's so if you find defects, they will eventually be fixed. It may not take 5 minutes, like so many of our instant generation EXPECT, but eventually, it will be fixed.
-DOUBT THAT TESLA MONITORS this forum in the way some EXPECT: While there may be Tesla employees reading these forums, it is doubtful that the kinds of complaints we read about will be dealt with as a result of reading about them here. There is a process for filing complaints with a corporation. Use that process. Again, results will not be instant, and may never happen the way the complainant desires.
The process is a pain in the A#$ but that's the world in which we live.
-TESLA HIRES HUMANS all over the world: Because of that and since humans are far from perfect, it is a hit and miss proposition.
Sometimes, if a company is fortunate, they actually find an employee who cares about their job and the company they represent. But the truth be known, in this day and age, those kind of employees are few and far between. As fellow humans, if we have a bad experience with a human representing a company, we need to move on and hopefully find a human who actually cares and listens. How many of those do we honestly know???
-THE TIMES, THEY HAVE CHANGED: Tesla is not the only company that has moved away from as much human contact as possible.
For the past 15 years, companies have been searching for ways to automate contact with their service departments. Called the phone company lately?? How about your doctor's office?? Press 1, Press 5, Press ......forget it. OH, if we could only go back to the days of human customer service!! Not gonna' happen. Yes there are still some small businesses that try to give that human touch but they are fewer and fewer. We'd all love Tesla to be one of those companies but with techno world we live in that is likely too much to expect.
MORAL TO STORY: Tesla is far from perfect, especially in many of their service centers. Many have experienced great service from mobile units and even some service centers in some areas, but the company has been unable to provide a consistent sales and service experience. With the pace of Tesla's growth it is unlikely they'll be able to fix the kinds of problems that cause the kinds of complaints we read about on this and other Tesla forums. So our EXPECTATION should be low in this regard, and if we have a better experience, we should be happy that we didn't have to put up with the crap that others have complained about.

P.S. My experiences with mobile service have been great. Not so much with the service centers where turnover and procedures seem to change anytime I have to stop in and the people skills are sorely lacking.

I dont see this kind of problems with Tesla owners in Europe.
I used to live in Europe and can tell you this kind of problems would not be acceptable with EU laws.
So my point is Tesla know how to deal with this issues if they want and they are doing it right overseas.
Why even charging for destination fee if the car does not exist or its not is not is condition to sell?
And why telling me to wait buying another car until this is resolved? Are they expecting even more problems?

There was a video about service and they said the best thing they did was go to their service center and ask for their number directly for that location. Made for much easier communication. Not sure how well that works. I just use the app and they text me. Works sufficiently albeit not as quickly as a phone call. The good news is that it’s easy to save the conversation.

yeah, Emmet I believe. He has a great YouTube channel.

• Informative
I just use the app and they text me. Works sufficiently albeit not as quickly as a phone call. The good news is that it’s easy to save the conversation.
I have used the app a few times and I always put any concerns in the comments section. Sometimes you just have to select Other as the problem. That usually gets me a text quickly and generally a follow-up phone call because the texting demonstrates to them they have a lack of knowledge of the problem.

But I have not used the app since late Feb so by now, maybe this no longer works. :rolleyes:

Wow! As I'm reading through these posts I realize how lucky I've been. My original 2019 Model 3 purchase was flawless. I did have a trunk leak problem that surfaced several months later but it was handled quickly and painlessly with the Tesla service center in West Palm Beach. Last month, when Tesla reduced the price of the Model S by $5,000 I took a test drive and, well, the rest is history. I bought a 2020 Model S a few days later having had a very good experience with the salesperson as well. Delivery and trade-in of my Model 3 were a few days later - the Modle S was in inventory - and the purchase was as smooth as the Model 3 previously. Car was flawless as well.

This is becoming more frustrating. Received call from my CC and they are saying Tesla is disputing my credit card charge back.
I will have to fill out new report probably.
Really?
What now Tesla wants?
Its was their mistake, they admitted that, they even said over the phone i could try to file credit card dispute over the phone and not wait months to resolve issue and now they are fighting that!
And all i want is to use same money to order their other vehicle

Received email and call this afternoon from them, they will look into that and will refund money via check if im entitled to it .
At least something is moving now, but man they need to speed up their process , i cant wait to give them those money back again asap ! :)))

Tesla also gives a 4 year warranty which so far I've never had to use. The one time it was in SC for free FSD computer upgrade I was given a loaner without asking.

My brother-in-law has gotten lots of use from his warranty. Your milage may very.

I agree it's a nice looking ride just a bit slow lol.

Those are very nice VW's, not sure why anyone would buy from an unethical company like VW Group AG. Emissions Scandal already forgotten? My six year old 100K + miles Tesla will see you in the rear view mirror.

Everyone's experience is different but 6 months into my new(used) Tesla model s I have had nothing but great service from the Paramus NJ Service Center. Had a mobile service for airbag recall and to change cabin filter, Did a HW3 and MCU2 swap out, and had them fix the license plate holder that came "unglued" 2 days after picking up the car.

Sure have had the normal reschedule due to part availability but not a big deal as I rescheduled via the app or text.

Compared to my local BMW service center(for my X5 and my 335i) imy tesla service is great(so far).
Here is how my BMW appointments go:
* Anything in for break/fix service would take days to get fixed. Service was way oversubscribed.
* Always adds onto bill $$ to fill up Windshield wiper fluid and Diesel DEF fluid(without asking).
* Always finds something else that needs to be fixed. (but after investigation on my end didn't need to be done. Cracked wheel rim was really a paint scratch. Leaking oil gasket was just from oil change, on and on)
* We have to wait until tomorrow for a Diesel mechanic to be available.(I even had to get the head mechanic and show him that the spring on the EGR cooler was clearly broken after they said they had fixed it. Guess they just cleared the Check engine light).

Guess bottom line is there are some good service centers and some not so good ones. For any car maker.

Reactions: electricar and SO16