Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla listed as one of '10 Cars Almost No Women Drive' by Marketwatch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article does not say there are no women drivers or owners.

Simply, that 83% of registered owners are men.

That is not trash but fact.

They assume most owners drive the cars.

There are some men own Teslas that have their wives drive it most of the time.

But most registered owners driving their own cars would be a correct assumption given the market survey data available.

My wife loves the Roadster that she drives every day, that is owned in my name. I have always titled our cars in my name so that I can more easily buy and sell them as needed and I only have to worry about paying annual tag fees once a year that way too.

But most registered owners driving their own cars would be a correct assumption given the market survey data available.

That's the same kind of market survey that prevented the 2004 Prius from having an MP3 player. In general, market surveys harm more than they help.

In a lot of households who registers the car is not meaningful.
We used to put both our names on the cars but that just makes it harder to sell because you need both signatures. Now we just put one. That doesn't determine who drives it.

It's a sound-bite article. No actual thinking associated with it. That's my point. Nothing interesting about it.

now if he had addressed who the actual drivers might be. Or if it is because of a disparity in income. Or a myriad of other reasons. But no. And if I were a man, I'd be insulted by the general tone. There is nothing about maybe enjoying actual performance.

excuse typos. iPad challenged at the moment.

Who should be the registered owner?

Slightly tangential to the thread - but since the issue of registered owners was raised...

I'm not a lawyer & rules in other states might differ, but in FL, I've always been advised that the registered owner should be the primary driver. Reason: In the event of an accident with a liability judgement that exceeds your insurance coverage, only the driver/owners's assets would be at risk. Other jointly owned or separately owned assets by the other spouse would not be subject to a claim. No so if the car is jointly owned, or if one spouse is the owner and the other the at fault driver.

Same reasoning applies to any car driven by your children - put the ownership in their name as soon as they turn 18.

It didn't share this because I found it to be cutting edge journalism. I shared it because that is what the rest of the world will be seeing.

As far as car registrations correlating with actual driving, we all realize that married women frequently have their husbands name on the title, and it often the first one listed. So the actual driver may not be the man who registered the car.

But regardless of that, there is likely to be a correlation between registrations and drivers. And except for the Fisker, it looks like we are in quite prestigious company.

For cars that women like, I'd agree on the Mini, Kia and Hyundai. I'd also add the VW Beetle, but they don't break down the stats by model.

IMO, the title was misleading. It should be '10 cars that women almost never get titled in their name'. But the purpose of the headline is no longer 'how do we accurately summarize a topic', but rather 'how do we sucker these schmucks into reading my garbage.'.

Hmmmm. Let's see if there might be a plausible explanation. Notice anything the cars on the list have in common? That's right, they're all expensive enough that anyone who is economically disadvantaged will have a correspondingly harder time justifying the purchase. What's next? The revelation that not many first-time car owners buy Teslas? Or that they're disproportionately owned by people in prosperous nations?

Yes, the article says that on average more women buy based on fuel efficiency, safety and economics. Given that women earn less than men (even with same education and experience level), it is not surprising. Model S is still expensive, but we know it has no competition on engendering, performance, style, fuel cost, environmental impact AND safety, so just wait til the Gen III comes out, then lets see what these articles say.