Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Making Unapproved Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shorty after I bought my car, Tesla took away the ability to limit regenerative braking. Most recently, Tesla decided to remove radar in favor of their Tesla vision. These changes were not mandated by a government agency, these changes were made at Tesla's whim.

What gives Tesla the right to do such things? The arrogance of Tesla is truly shocking!

How do you manage to function with updates to the phone you're holding?

A phone is a actually a perfect example of a manufacture abusing its customer by slowing down older phones in order to avoid having to replace the battery under warranty.

The whole battery gate thing.

So its just another example of a concern I have over how much power the OTA mechanism gives manufactures.

OK guys, I understand the EULA gives Tesla the right to do whatever they want, so how about the deeper issue. Pretty much everything we buy requires software to operate and with these EULAs we are buying hardware and “using” the software. The manufacturer retains to right to modify the software at will, or to revoke it if they so choose. The significance of this is much greater in a car. If Apple makes your phone unusable you can replace it. But if Tesla makes it unusable, sure you can replace it but your $100K car just became a brick. Some may think this nonsense, but Tesla has the legal right to do this. But more practically, if Tesla makes changes we do not like we have no recourse.

What I suggest we need is a EULA that is not one sided, and an advocate with some authority.

Reactions: enemji
OK guys, I understand the EULA gives Tesla the right to do whatever they want, so how about the deeper issue. Pretty much everything we buy requires software to operate and with these EULAs we are buying hardware and “using” the software. The manufacturer retains to right to modify the software at will, or to revoke it if they so choose. The significance of this is much greater in a car. If Apple makes your phone unusable you can replace it. But if Tesla makes it unusable, sure you can replace it but your $100K car just became a brick. Some may think this nonsense, but Tesla has the legal right to do this. But more practically, if Tesla makes changes we do not like we have no recourse.

What I suggest we need is a EULA that is not one sided, and an advocate with some authority.
Yes. The balance has to be achieved.

We could always go back to the good old days - Where software companies would release fixes for free - mostly...
However, any new features were bundled into the "next release" which was almost always a paid upgrade.
Eventually the older releases would fall out of support and you'd have to pay to get the next supported release.
I'm sure Tesla would love to have another revenue stream - but I'm glad they don't ;)

I am sure you must be the ONE customer that paid to get the navigation DVD updated every year for $300

As a UK owner, insurance companies require disclosure of any modifications to the vehicle.

Is it a modification to leave software not updated (to keep radar for example) or to accept updates that have signicant potential to effect safety and performance features?

If such changes can be made without my knowledge, whose car is it?!

What the issue here?
I get the initial "I wanted that" when something disappears, but against the tsunami of extra freebie stuff that lots of folks want...
But this is a massive amount of updated/new features released over the life of the car and a tiny number of things that are being complained about.
So...

Is it that we want feature level veto on every single feature that is delivered for free, at no cost?
Just asking, because as an expectation that is off the wall unrealistic.
Do we want to need to pay for each new feature or do we want free updates?
Do we want mandated safety changes or only the ones we approve of?
Do we want to be able to keep things that have been disabled because some idiot on YouTube abuses it? If so, how?
It's super easy complaining about "they moved my cheese" but when the other 90% of owners love it, how is Tesla supposed to make it work.
Its dead easy to complain - but how does it get fixed?

In short - how does this get implemented?
TLDR - if its complex, look for it to stop being free and bunch more being non-optional.

Do we want mandated safety changes or only the ones we approve of?

If there is an established critical safety issue that is likely to effect other road users or passengers in my car, then the issue needs to be clearly explained and a mandatory fix applied. The fix needs to be approved to ensure it is both a real fix and that it doesn't create new issues.

look for it to stop being free and bunch more being non-optional.

After the initial anticipation of updates wears off, I think I'd rather pay $100 - $500 for upgrades that I actually want and that have been fully tested and don't require me and my car to be a test bed. If I don't value something to the tune of a couple of hundred, then it's not that great. I'd even pay to have the auto headlights work as well as my Kona's.

If there is a demand for trinkets and teasers that add 'gadgets' then why not put them in their own ring-fenced code area that owners can just turn off entirely if they don't want that stuff?

Reactions: FirstInTown
It is not arrogance. As a company, Tesla has the right to make changes to their products any time they want. And Tesla has always made changes to their cars as they go, sometimes without notice. Tesla cars are constantly evolving. I understand it can be frustrating to customers but it has also allowed Tesla to innovate more quickly since they can just make a change that they need to make right away, without waiting for the next "year model" or getting permission.

Not really sure this is true. Certainty making changes without customers approval was an issue for Apple…

Not really sure this is true. Certainty making changes without customers approval was an issue for Apple…
Under Steve Jobs, Apple...
  • removed the serial port,
  • removed the parallel port,
  • replaced the 5″ floppy drive with the 3.5″ floppy drive.
  • Then got rid of the floppy drive.
  • Then got rid of the optical drive.
  • Got rid of the VGA port.
  • Got rid of the Ethernet port.
  • Dumped the iPod 30pin connector
Nevertheless Apple is sucessful because it makes opinionated choices about products.

Reactions: enemji
Under Steve Jobs, Apple...
  • removed the serial port,
  • removed the parallel port,
  • replaced the 5″ floppy drive with the 3.5″ floppy drive.
  • Then got rid of the floppy drive.
  • Then got rid of the optical drive.
  • Got rid of the VGA port.
  • Got rid of the Ethernet port.
  • Dumped the iPod 30pin connector
Nevertheless Apple is sucessful because it makes opinionated choices about products.
Those changes happened before the consumer bought the product. We are talking about changes to a product a company made to a product a person already bought. They aren’t the same. What I am referring too is apple capping the performance of their older phones. That got them into trouble.

Reactions: Battpower
changes to a product a company made to a product a person already bought.

And that's the key point. If you are making some kind of one payment subscription to have a car that's maintained at a certain spec level along with latest updates as appropriate, then fine, Tesla can do what they want. But if you are buying (to own) a collection of hardware that has a stated function at the time of purchase, then that is what you should get.

The manufacturer can by all means offer upgrades / updates, and even be required to remedy serious flaws, but not treat owners of its products as a test bed.

Updates should disclose sufficient detail before being installed so owners can decline an update. Critical fixes should be handled separately.

Reactions: Tesomega and ATPMSD