Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model "π" (Smartphone)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Medved_77

TM3 SR+ | MSM+Black | No FSD
Jan 20, 2020
Scotland
Reactions: Jez_GB
So I did just check the date wasn't 1st April....

Tesla Model Pi Smartphone which connects to the Starlink satellite network, also a brain computer interface (neuralink?) with Marscoin mining capabilities and solar charging.

Sold!
Every advert for smartphones never boasts any ability to make phone calls.
I’m surprised they’re not just called smart cameras!

To be fair, If it happens I reckon it could be a big success. Manufacturing experience in China is very helpful if you want to offer a new smartphone. And if the Starlink comms is technically possible, that's one big USP you've got right there.

So I did just check the date wasn't 1st April....

Tesla Model Pi Smartphone which connects to the Starlink satellite network, also a brain computer interface (neuralink?) with Marscoin mining capabilities and solar charging.

Sold!
1615374446620.png

• Funny
Reactions: Washout and Jez_GB
Neuralink? Jesus! Farcebook, Twatter and the social media cesspool of humanity all beamed directly to my brain?
That’s a hard pass from me 😜
You might be safe...... Assuming they will opt to develop their own OS and given the current lack of Carplay/Auto, I kinda doubt a deal will be struck with either Apple or Google for access to their app stores - so it might be a while before you can access SM apps - sure you can hook up via a browser but that's a PITA on a mobile..

I can't see this really being a mass market thing for a few years (the phone not neurolink), the current starlink network requires a hefty power supply, mid sized dish and a clear view of the sky. Now I know portable phones used to have an almost briefcase sized base with a tethered receiver when they first started out, but we've been moving further and further away from high power communications and moving up the spectrum to low power local transmitters for 5G (as well as killing all the insects and causing corona virus :rolleyes:) I'm all up for providing broadband to remote places (which would already allow wifi calling on most modern phones) but there's no real need to start connecting phones to satelites other than to compete with the already niche satellite phones.

Starlink will get better and better as time goes on. I think it's entirely possible a hand held device could use it in the future. Whether that's worth doing and is affordable is another matter.
Low latency satellite phones at an affordable price? Put me on the list.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
Every advert for smartphones never boasts any ability to make phone calls.
I’m surprised they’re not just called smart cameras!
This is something that bugs me. A lot of modern phones have bad calling quality. Have you every read a phone review? They won’t mention cal quality ever. No real incentive to improve it. I had a blackberry passport where they did care about call quality. It was way better than a modern phone.
All that’s being said: I want want want want a Tesla phone!!!