TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model 3 | DIY Ceramic Coating

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Kenriko, Apr 25, 2018.

1. smjbh5

smjbh5 Member

Any reason eraser should go on after the polish and not before?

2. Burrito

Burrito Member

my understanding is its to remove any leftover residue the polish may leave behind ensuring a perfectly clean surface of oils before applying the ceramic

3. smjbh5

smjbh5 Member

I'll have to check, but I think essence is free of oils and wax and is supposed to bond to the paint and CQuartz

4. Burrito

Burrito Member

I followed this method for the most part. Guys knows his stuff

5. verystandard

verystandard Member

I actually got a box of chemical guys polish + pads from my friend (V32, V34, V36, V38), alongside with some hex logic pad (Orange, Green, White). I've heard lots of mixed results about Chemical Guys on Tesla, do you think I should use these on fixing my Tesla model 3 swirl? Or should I just go straight to Meguiars M205 and use the hexlogic pads?

6. P-Lo801

P-Lo801 Member

Hey everyone, I searched and didn't find anything about my questions regarding ceramic coating vinyl wrap.

I want to DIY the ceramic coating on my car, since there is no paint correction that needs to be done because it's vinyl wrapped.

I've learned of Ceramic Pro, CQuartz, FuseVinylpro, and gyeon that offer products specifically designed for wraps. I'm inclined to go with one of the latter three since one doesn't have to technically be an "installer" or "dealer" to be able to purchase these, which is the case for CeramicPro.

What do you recommend from any of the three I listed above?

In terms of prepping the car, I'm planning to wash it normally using two-bucket method, then bathe it down with IPA...then from there start the ceramic coating.

Any other recommendations for ceramic coating vinyl wrap that I may be missing?

7. Burrito

Burrito Member

I would probably do the same for vinyl. Just double check an ipa is ok for vinyl. No need for all the pain corrections obviously.

• Like x 1
  8. jirpel

jirpel Member

Have an appointment scheduled to pick may car up on the 24th. I would like to do my own ceramic coating but unfortunately it maybe a while before I can get to applying it. Looking for a product recommendation that can be applied to provide some level of protection to help keep it clean until I can get to ceramic coating it. Thinking of something like OPTIMUM NO RINSE WASH & WAX followed by OPTIMUM OPTI-SEAL. I didn't want to use something that would interfere with the Ceramic Coating if applied in a month or two. Thanks!

9. R1Fast

R1Fast P3D Blue/White

My car is fully wrapped in Xpel U+ and CQuartz Ti02. How does one go about reapplying ceramic on Xpel a few years down the road?

I've read that any ceramic/sealant needs to be stripped first before reapplying, and that it usually requires a light polishing, but this is in the context of bare paint not PPF. Assuming it's the same for Xpel, is it safe to use a buffer and do a light polish? It seems unsafe since it could marr the film.

E.g. is stripping really necessary, and is there a way to get great results other than polishing?

10. smjbh5

smjbh5 Member

i bought flyby 30 for the glass. Besides washing, what else do you do to prep the glass?

11. Mrcarcrazy

Mrcarcrazy Member

Many of the DIY ceramics don’t
    no. Stripping it off is not necessary for most ceramics in order to apply more of the same coating. You can add layers without issue. Check on your particular brand. But I don’t know of any that actually require it.

12. R1Fast

R1Fast P3D Blue/White

Thanks @Mrcarcrazy . What if Gliss or another topper was applied? I think most of the topper would be gone by then but would it affect bonding?

13. Mrcarcrazy

Mrcarcrazy Member

Luckily most toppers don’t last all that long. The typical suggestion is to do an isopropyl alcohol wipedown to remove and residues that might impede adhesion.

If there’s any doubt I’d contact the manufacturer. Of course their answer will have a level of CYA in it.