Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Down: Won't Power Up, and is Inaccessible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, my (well my daughter has it now) early production 2011 LEAF is still going on the original 12V battery without problems.
Never any problem with the car failing to start or "breaking down". No real service at all in 7 years other than tires, wiper blades, and washer fluid.
The degradation on the battery pack is disappointing. It is down to "9 bars" (out of 12) on the range gauge and you might say it is a "60 mile EV" now instead of "90 mile" when it was new.
Battery dropped from 10 bars to 9 bars just after the time limit Nissan offered for free replacement. I suppose I should have charged it to 100% (instead of 80%) to make the battery age faster and quality for a replacement...
Same issue with the main battery on mine sadly, down to 10 bars after 44K.
I'm also on the original 12V as well.
I mentioned my Leaf in this thread because the thread title will attract the usual folks, who have already posted about Tesla needing to test this stuff before releasing a product etc etc.
Sometimes things happen or circumstances conspire to that make a perfectly functioning car and 12V battery to fail to work.as expected.
Its not poor design or bad planning - it just happens and happens to ICE cars as well.
@MarkS22 is comfortable waiting for the ranger, he's allowed to do that and doesn't need to explain. Yet so many folks want to make this a huge deal.
Its not just a Tesla Model 3 issue - and its trivial to fix, just recharge the 12V and move on - hardly worth all the hand wringing.

Maybe it's better next time to wait until a solution has been found to the problem and THEN start a thread, with a less emotive heading, clearly explaining the problem/solution and rectification.

A simple "Google" and all the talks with your friendly Tesla tech would have given a pretty clear indication of the problem.

For example:

Last week, true story, my FWD sensors all stopped working and my FWD's fully opened in my usual "restricted height" parking spot. I tried all the resets possible from the car that I knew of and finally called Tesla Tech in Fremont. I'm in Perth, Western Australia. Tech support is always very helpful and they could see an error logged for the FWD's. "Andrew" asked around the room at Fremont and sent a remote reset which didn't instantly fix my problem but guess what, in the morning it was all good. I've never had another car I've ever owned remote fixed like that.

More to the point, I didn't feel the need to jump straight on TMC and tell the whole world my MX FWD's were a POS and don't work thus feeding the trolls. In fact, until know, I didn't feel the need to post it anywhere, although I have told a few friends I didn't need to book my car in at a legacy car maker franchise and waste a day of my life with no car trying to get a spurious electrical issue fixed.

Honestly, if it was due to a firmware/computer issue and had no electrical response, I'd have called it "bricked" also. If it was mechanical, I would probably say "died" or "quit working." In hindsight, I'd probably only use the term "bricked" if it happened immediately following a firmware update or I had more evidence that it was firmware related.

Non-owner question I've been curious about but have never asked; Are over-the-air updates from Tesla automatically patched in? If so, are you notified that it's happened and how?

Maybe it's better next time to wait until a solution has been found to the problem and THEN start a thread, with a less emotive heading, clearly explaining the problem/solution and rectification.

A simple "Google" and all the talks with your friendly Tesla tech would have given a pretty clear indication of the problem.

For example:

Last week, true story, my FWD sensors all stopped working and my FWD's fully opened in my usual "restricted height" parking spot. I tried all the resets possible from the car that I knew of and finally called Tesla Tech in Fremont. I'm in Perth, Western Australia. Tech support is always very helpful and they could see an error logged for the FWD's. "Andrew" asked around the room at Fremont and sent a remote reset which didn't instantly fix my problem but guess what, in the morning it was all good. I've never had another car I've ever owned remote fixed like that.

More to the point, I didn't feel the need to jump straight on TMC and tell the whole world my MX FWD's were a POS and don't work thus feeding the trolls. In fact, until know, I didn't feel the need to post it anywhere, although I have told a few friends I didn't need to book my car in at a legacy car maker franchise and waste a day of my life with no car trying to get a spurious electrical issue fixed.

Point taken. Between all the back and forth, I’ve learned quite a bit from this thread both publicly and privately. I believe I will be in a better position to discuss this with Tesla now.

I see this forum as a resource for information flowing both directions. The title wasn’t intentionally emotive. If you read the actual message and watch the video, it’s very straightforward with no emotion. I think you’d find that in my post history as well.

At this point, I hope my next major post will simply be the solution. Hopefully, Tesla and future owners will be better off for it.

Non-owner question I've been curious about but have never asked; Are over-the-air updates from Tesla automatically patched in? If so, are you notified that it's happened and how?

They’re downloaded to the car and then your given the option to install them immediately or schedule them. But, yes, you are clearly notified. If you have notifications set on your app, it will tell you a software update is waiting.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
If the 12v battery dies (including just running out of charge) on an old ICE car, the car is unusable too. The dash lights don't come on, the gas engine won't start, But the Model 3 feels a bit "more dead" when that happens. The charge plug stuck in the charge port is frustrating. The doors don't have any keyhole to open the doors manually. The center screen is such a prominent feature, that having it stay off makes the car seem "more dead".
Tesla really designed this vehicle to be user friendly only when it is powered up...

( We are still just assuming that this could be explained by 12v failure. Just guessing... )

A Fiat?
Robin
They’re downloaded to the car and then your given the option to install them immediately or schedule them. But, yes, you are clearly notified. If you have notifications set on your app, it will tell you a software update is waiting.
What's the typical patch time, or does it vary widely and they give you an estimate so you can judge whether to initiate it or put it off?

If the 12v battery dies (including just running out of charge) on an old ICE car, the car is unusable too. The dash lights don't come on, the gas engine won't start, But the Model 3 feels a bit "more dead" when that happens. The charge plug stuck in the charge port is frustrating. The doors don't have any keyhole to open the doors manually. The center screen is such a prominent feature, that having it stay off makes the car seem "more dead".
Tesla really designed this vehicle to be user friendly only when it is powered up...

( We are still just assuming that this could be explained by 12v failure. Just guessing... )

Honestly, this is very true. I think that’s a great explanation of why it’s why it “feels” like what I’d traditionally call the “b word.” Who knew “more dead” would seem more appropriate in hindsight? :)

And why is nobody complaining about my other major typos like using “unaccessable “ instead of “inaccessible?” ;)

If the 12v battery dies (including just running out of charge) on an old ICE car, the car is unusable too. ... But the Model 3 feels a bit "more dead" when that happens.

True. It is not just a feeling, though. With an average ICE, not only can you access the car mechanically (often having at least two ways in), the 12V issues are often remediable by the average user too - even in modern ICEs, not just in some old clunkers. :) If a 12V fails in any way in a Tesla, there's not much you can do.

IMO the development of redundancy and some (even temporary) "jump starting" tricks might be beneficial for BEVs as well, down the road.

Reactions: MarkS22
Same issue with the main battery on mine sadly, down to 10 bars after 44K.
I'm also on the original 12V as well.
I mentioned my Leaf in this thread because the thread title will attract the usual folks, who have already posted about Tesla needing to test this stuff before releasing a product etc etc.
Sometimes things happen or circumstances conspire to that make a perfectly functioning car and 12V battery to fail to work.as expected.
Its not poor design or bad planning - it just happens and happens to ICE cars as well.
@MarkS22 is comfortable waiting for the ranger, he's allowed to do that and doesn't need to explain. Yet so many folks want to make this a huge deal.
Its not just a Tesla Model 3 issue - and its trivial to fix, just recharge the 12V and move on - hardly worth all the hand wringing.
Except in this case, unlike Leaf and most ICEVs: the charging connector is still locked to the car. the OP is unable to get into the car with their phone and the backup key cards and there is no mechanical key nor corresponding key hole (that we're aware of).

On Leaf, virtually all cars that employ something like Nissan Intelligent Key/Toyota Smart Key System and virtually ALL ICEVs, it is trivial to use the mechanical key to open the door, pop the hood and jump start or charge the 12 volt.