Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The functions that you use frequently while driving :

- AP Controls to enable/disable
- AP controls to increase/decrease speed (stupid, dumb, idiotic idea to put it in the screen)
- Volume controls
- Temp controls
- Radio controls
- Air/fan controls
- Wiper controls (another stupid idea to put that in the screen, even with auto-wipers)

All other functions are one time or infrequent events: mirror adjustment, etc..

I agree, although it was pretty short, but he didn't seem prejudiced an that's why I made my remark. If it had been a typical let's-bash-Tesla-review, we'd not be showing or discussing it here. We'd simply smiled and walked away. :cool:

Agreed. After all it was CNN reviewing here and they do short segments without much detail in these areas. Their strong suit is in the political and general news areas not automotive.

That Edmunds video review was pretty good too and he also complained about

- AP and wiper controls in the screen
- more noise and vibration on rough roads

Other than that he liked everything about the M3 so much he is going to keep the 2nd reservation and get one for himself.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
That Edmunds video review was pretty good too and he also complained about

- AP and wiper controls in the screen
- more noise and vibration on rough roads

Other than that he liked everything about the M3 so much he is going to keep the 2nd reservation and get one for himself.
He was actually quite vocal in general about having to look away from the road constantly due to everything being on the screen (such as speedo), and that some things that you should be able to do easily while driving you can't do safely (i.e. adjust steering wheel, mirrors, etc.).

Reactions: 1 person
He was actually quite vocal in general about having to look away from the road constantly due to everything being on the screen (such as speedo), and that some things that you should be able to do easily while driving you can't do safely (i.e. adjust steering wheel, mirrors, etc.).
Eh.... I've had cars that take as much if not more effort/attention to adjust the steering/mirrors as the 3 appears to require. Granted, there are cars that make it easier, but it's one of those things that IMO should be done when stopped.

The functions that you use frequently while driving :

- AP controls to increase/decrease speed (stupid, dumb, idiotic idea to put it in the screen)
- Volume controls
- Temp controls
- Radio controls
- Air/fan controls
- Wiper controls (another stupid idea to put that in the screen, even with auto-wipers)

AP speed control change becomes less important over time as AP improves.
Also, if you have auto wipers, why is it critical to be able to change the wipers?

With automatic climate control, I almost never find the need to change the temperature were fan speed.

Reactions: bhzmark
AP speed control change becomes less important over time as AP improves.
Also, if you have auto wipers, why is it critical to be able to change the wipers?

With automatic climate control, I almost never find the need to change the temperature were fan speed.
AP speed control changes via the screen have been dealt with in another post. It should be easy to change the control by using the buttons at the steering wheel to control the speed and following distance. It's an easy way to improve safety through software changes.

Changing the wiper control is more difficult but I think something should be done. The controls are low on the screen and you typically use it in bad weather conditions where all attention should be directed towards the traffic. It is THE most vital part then and you wouldn't want to have to take your eyes off the road when in a downpour of rain and for some reason auto wipers are not working properly. I really think this is a design flaw which could lead to accidents. I hope Tesla changes this soon, before anyone gets hurt.

The functions that I use frequently while driving :

- Volume controls
- Temp controls
- Radio controls
- Air/fan controls

There, I fixed that for you.

The functions that you use frequently are not necessarily what I use frequently. For example, the wiper controls on my current car are on a single stock that controls front wiper, rear wiper, speed front wiper, speed rear wiper, intermittent front wiper, intermittent rear wiper, windshield washer front wiper, windshield washer rear wiper, and dog knows what else in a font that is about 1/16" high. Now that is a stupid idea! I much prefer controlling those functions through the U.I.

I do believe that the scroll wheels will be given more functionality in the future through firmware updates, BUT I will have to select the correct menu from the U.I.

You should do that BEFORE driving, not while driving.
I shouldn't look at the speedo while driving? No wonder they placed it where they did o_O .

Seriously, it's pretty common to fine tune seating and subsequently mirror repositioning while driving. Maybe not in the UK, but here where we have to drive 3-4 days to get across the country I do at least.

Last edited: