Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any idea if I want to get a 2020 built car, when should I order?

The performance model is tempting, but it needs the performance upgrade to go with it. There is no point in getting a car that is really fast accelerating but not that much good in the corners with small wheels, small brakes and high wheel gaps. With Qld governments' stupid and greedy decision of charging 4% stamp duty on vehicle priced over $100k on the entire amount, it means that if the car is $100000 the stamp duty is $2000, but If the car costs one dollar more at $100001, the stamp duty is an extra $2004, at $4004. How unreasonable is that?

So I priced up a Performance with performance upgrade. If I want one in pearl white, it is $102442 driveway, if I want one in red, due to the extra $800 Tesla charges for red and the extra stamp duty, it is $105384.

I don't want to pay for the LCT so that leaves me with the SR+. I would ldaelly get a LR RWD but it doesn't seem to be coming here. I also want a tow bar to carry my bike, and a 2020 car, so I will probably wait for now.

I had initially paid a deposit for a reservation, I am glad I got a refund.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any idea if I want to get a 2020 built car, when should I order?
Why does the year of manufacture matter? Tesla doesn’t have model years, the cars change continually with tweaks on any random month of the year. One needs to be able to decode the VIN to know when it was made, and I have no idea when they decide to tick it over. It’s a complete non-issue in my book.

A request to anyone here who is on Twitter... since Elon is in a responsive move, can someone please ask him when non-performance LR variant will be made available in AUS? Worth a try.

I contacted tesla aus about other options. They said:LR RWD had been discontinued internationally some time ago. LR RWD and tow bar not currently available but maybe in future. They recommended putting in an order on any car and if the mid spec version cones along i can change. Doesn't sound like much of a plan to me. Come on Elon why the limited options ? Big $ difference to go slightly faster .... not interested i need range. Pls someone post to Elon

The performance model is tempting, but it needs the performance upgrade to go with it. There is no point in getting a car that is really fast accelerating but not that much good in the corners with small wheels, small brakes and high wheel gaps. With Qld governments' stupid and greedy decision of charging 4% stamp duty on vehicle priced over $100k on the entire amount, it means that if the car is $100000 the stamp duty is $2000, but If the car costs one dollar more at $100001, the stamp duty is an extra $2004, at $4004. How unreasonable is that?

So I priced up a Performance with performance upgrade. If I want one in pearl white, it is $102442 driveway, if I want one in red, due to the extra $800 Tesla charges for red and the extra stamp duty, it is $105384.

I don't want to pay for the LCT so that leaves me with the SR+. I would ldaelly get a LR RWD but it doesn't seem to be coming here. I also want a tow bar to carry my bike, and a 2020 car, so I will probably wait for now.

I had initially paid a deposit for a reservation, I am glad I got a refund.

Forget the year of manufacture, forget the resale value, $105,384 for a track performance model 3 gets you the best value car on the market, don't be surprised if that price doesn't increase late in the year, my advice is buy, love it, keep it for 10 years plus and drive it at every opportunity.

The reason that the LR RWD & AWD with towbar option may not be available yet because they are going through the ADR processes from 1/6/2019, and Tesla can't release selling them until that's complete.

The SR+ & P3D may have gone through the ADR processes and no one has seen them being transported in Australia. There maybe a SR+ & a P3D hidden in a warehouse somewhere.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rowdy
Apparently the LR AWD uses a less powerful rear motor, where the Performance "Lite" uses the regular RWD motor. Could be a bit of manufacturing simplification at work here - only manufacture 1 rear motor and 1 front motor.
The motor in the rear is the same in all Model 3's. All dual motor Model 3's have the same motor up front. The difference is the current supplied to the motor. A battery packs get smaller the peak current goes down. As far as the LR cars, Tesla software limits the current to differentiate the cars. I am strictly talking Model 3's here. Ludicrous mode cars (S and X) have some different hardware. If the AWD would get unlocked it ould do the same 0-60 as the Performance.

Has anyone asked Tesla about when the superchargers getting the CCS treatment the model 3 launch?

On the model 3 AU page it says: "Recharge 270 km in 30 minutes at any Supercharger location". I know that they will get upgraded but we don't know when and how many stalls. I'm still dithering over pulling the trigger on my reservation and one concern is that I may pick up the car from sydney and not be able to use the supercharger network for the drive home.

It’s finally here. After the Model 3 was announced I have had two separate reservations (both of which I cancelled). After getting tired of waiting I purchased a Model S 75 in December 2017. It was a brand new inventory car after they discontinued the RWD. I have really enjoyed the S over the last 31000 km. Did a 12.8 quarter mile at Willowbank in that car.

Yesterday I ordered a Model 3 Performance at the Brisbane store. It’s blue and I went for the Stealth configuration (no performance upgrades). $93292 on Road in Brisbane. Fantastic value for 500km of range and 3.4 secs 0-100. I’ll be either trading or selling the S.

Would have liked to have seen more options initially available here but I am over the moon.

Attachments

• 1CD7C5B1-5DDA-4CD3-9BC8-5A7DC876F627.jpeg
    1CD7C5B1-5DDA-4CD3-9BC8-5A7DC876F627.jpeg
    827.7 KB · Views: 53
Has anyone asked Tesla about when the superchargers getting the CCS treatment the model 3 launch?

On the model 3 AU page it says: "Recharge 270 km in 30 minutes at any Supercharger location". I know that they will get upgraded but we don't know when and how many stalls. I'm still dithering over pulling the trigger on my reservation and one concern is that I may pick up the car from sydney and not be able to use the supercharger network for the drive home.
Not sure what ur concern is. I thought ccs is type 2 plug at top (tesla supercharger equivalent) with additional dc input at bottom. Meaning you plug in with traditional type2 tesla charger or ccs (top and bottom). Also thought that current supercharging is 100kw + which means you can easily get 50% + charge in 30 mins = 270km

given that it is australia with a few puny superchargers i'd bet you a week before delivery someone from Tesla will quickly go around and upgrade them or at least add CSS...

Reactions: baillies
Not sure what ur concern is. I thought ccs is type 2 plug at top (tesla supercharger equivalent) with additional dc input at bottom. Meaning you plug in with traditional type2 tesla charger or ccs (top and bottom). Also thought that current supercharging is 100kw + which means you can easily get 50% + charge in 30 mins = 270km

this has been discussed here with conflicting statements - afaik you can only AC charge from a supercharger and not much at that... I think like 1 kw or 2 kw? The AC pins just provide charge for communications.

this has been discussed here with conflicting statements - afaik you can only AC charge from a supercharger and not much at that... I think like 1 kw or 2 kw? The AC pins just provide charge for communications.

You can't charge at all from Superchargers until they get the CCS2 upgrade. That's why it was so important to do it for Europe before the cars came in.

afaik you can only AC charge from a supercharger and not much at that... I think like 1 kw or 2 kw? The AC pins just provide charge for communications.

Where did you hear this?

Model 3 cannot charge at all from superchargers without the CCS2 connector.
Superchargers do not provide any AC current. DC only.
The CCS2 charge port on the Australian Model 3 allows AC charging with the usual Type 2 (mennekes) connector just like a MS or X would charge on AC. However, Model 3 requires the CCS2 plug (and associated DC charging station) to fast charge with DC.

You are correct, the AC pins just provide communications on a CCS2 connector.