Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason that the LR RWD & AWD with towbar option may not be available yet because they are going through the ADR processes from 1/6/2019, and Tesla can't release selling them until that's complete.

The SR+ & P3D may have gone through the ADR processes and no one has seen them being transported in Australia. There maybe a SR+ & a P3D hidden in a warehouse somewhere.

That *might* have been a believable possibility if it wasn't for the fact that the UK order page changed after a month of being open there to be exactly like the AU on the same day ours opened thus removing the LR AWD option and having identical options to the AU order page.

That CLEARLY signifies it was purely a business decision and nothing to do with certification. Have a look at this table of gross profit margins between the variants. Tesla desperately needs to extract as much profit as possible per car at the moment with the least logistics complications for manufacturing and delivery (hence the very limited options). The margin between SR and LR is 17% vs 25%. When you add AWD and then even Performance, the margin will probably get closer to 28-30%.

Reactions: Vostok
I’ll be either trading or selling the S.
Just a word of warning, there are reports of Tesla refusing to trade a model S for a model 3. Some stupid quote about them only doing trade ins for upgrades. I am sure they can have their arm twisted n the right scenario, lets be fair your M3 is AWD and quicker to 100, but start that discussion early and be prepared to go for a private sale.

given that it is australia with a few puny superchargers i'd bet you a week before delivery someone from Tesla will quickly go around and upgrade them or at least add CSS...

You may be right but given tesla time and what we've seen with say, the QLD supercharger rollout promised times vs. reality - it would be nice to have some confirmation. I'm going to look pretty foolish to my wife if I drop $90k on a car and we can't take it our family trip to queensland.

Not sure what ur concern is. I thought ccs is type 2 plug at top (tesla supercharger equivalent) with additional dc input at bottom. Meaning you plug in with traditional type2 tesla charger or ccs (top and bottom). Also thought that current supercharging is 100kw + which means you can easily get 50% + charge in 30 mins = 270km

You can't use the old supercharger plug on a model 3. Even the the plug looks like it will be a match, it's not.

this has been discussed here with conflicting statements - afaik you can only AC charge from a supercharger and not much at that... I think like 1 kw or 2 kw? The AC pins just provide charge for communications.

You can't AC charge from a supercharger. The top portion of the socket on a model 3 is for AC charging but the original superchargers repurposed that pin layout for DC use. Those plugs can be used for DC charging in the S/X only.

____

These replies are clear demonstration of why Tesla should provide clarity on this. Even on an entusiast Tesla forum, it's unrealistic to expect everyone to understand why a supercharger plug which looks like it would fit, will not work.

The first time using a supercharger is a moment of truth for customers. Google "Jan Carlzon moment of magic" for some great thoughts on how to define a positive customer experience. If a customer buys their first tesla and drives to their first supercharger to find it is pending an upgrade for them to charge their car, that is called a moment of misery. It's very hard to change the perception of a company after that first moment of truth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited and I can work around that; I am just interested to know when the retrofit will happen.

These replies are clear demonstration of why Tesla should provide clarity on this. Even on an entusiast Tesla forum, it's unrealistic to expect everyone to understand why a supercharger plug which looks like it would fit, will not work.

The first time using a supercharger is a moment of truth for customers. Google "Jan Carlzon moment of magic" for some great thoughts on how to define a positive customer experience. If a customer buys their first tesla and drives to their first supercharger to find it is pending an upgrade for them to charge their car, that is called a moment of misery. It's very hard to change the perception of a company after that first moment of truth.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited and I can work around that; I am just interested to know when the retrofit will happen.
Completely agree with this. I think my first fast charge will be at an NRMA charger for purely this reason - I know there is a CCS2 plug for sure.

Your app will not work until Tesla assigns your car to it. This happens about 1 to 2 days after delivery. In the mean time it will say words to the effect “No car associated with this account.”
My Tesla has a welcome to the Tesla family, picture of the car I ordered (Colour and Wheel combo correct), even the my Loot treasure chest is accessible with my referral code available to be sent from within the App.

You may be right but given tesla time and what we've seen with say, the QLD supercharger rollout promised times vs. reality - it would be nice to have some confirmation. I'm going to look pretty foolish to my wife if I drop $90k on a car and we can't take it our family trip to queensland.

You can't use the old supercharger plug on a model 3. Even the the plug looks like it will be a match, it's not.

You can't AC charge from a supercharger. The top portion of the socket on a model 3 is for AC charging but the original superchargers repurposed that pin layout for DC use. Those plugs can be used for DC charging in the S/X only.

____

I like many Adelaide owners waited 3 years for our first supercharger

____

Tesla are going to look pretty foolish if they sell model 3s to Australian customers that can't be supercharged between Adelaide and Brisbane, the local media would hammer home the point.

That CLEARLY signifies it was purely a business decision and nothing to do with certification. Have a look at this table of gross profit margins between the variants. Tesla desperately needs to extract as much profit as possible per car at the moment with the least logistics complications for manufacturing and delivery (hence the very limited options). The margin between SR and LR is 17% vs 25%. When you add AWD and then even Performance, the margin will probably get closer to 28-30%.
Yep, I think this is the most obvious explanation. Surprised that mmui90 disagreed.

The majority of buyers would probably want the LR version (and those who want RWD would probably just suck it up and take AWD). But these have lower margin than Performance. Tesla couldn’t go to market with just one configuration, so for Tesla to both maximise units sold and maximise margins in Q2, the two variants it offers to do that are the bookends: SR+ and Performance. Tesla will expect that a proportion of LR buyers who just can’t wait any more will upsell themselves to Performance. And going by the comments of a few of the people who have already placed orders, they are right.

It’ll be interesting to see if this changes from 1 July.

...the original superchargers repurposed that pin layout for DC use. Those plugs can be used for DC charging in the S/X only.

I would have thought it a smart move to keep this compatibility in the 3. There's no physical reason why they couldn't. After all, an S/X has the Type 2 socket pins used for either AC or DC charging depending on what is plugged into it. It would just be a protocol thing. That way the old SC would work in a 3 until higher-powered CCS chargers come on stream.
RTEmagicC_ea655cf3c1_02jpg_zps31725e3e.jpg

I would contend the effect is so little as to be unmeasurable
If the car is only two or three years old it makes a bit of difference, 5 years or more probably not.
It was more to do with thinking of waiting to see if a LR RWD and a towbar will become available, and if I am waiting I might as well wait for a 2020 car rather than getting a car delivered in november or december. Not a big deal really.
It seems like a LR RWD is unlikely to happen here, so perhaps it is wiser to order soon if I am going with a SR+, before the AUD tanks any further with the predicted interest rate cuts coming soon.

I would have thought it a smart move to keep this compatibility in the 3. There's no physical reason why they couldn't
It's all to do with cost. Most expected the CCS2 inlet to be compatible with existing superchargers by the same hybrid use.

Turns out that in order to utilise the same pins for AC and DC charging there's hardware involved to switch the connection directly to the battery pack, rather than to the onboard charger, plus a more costly proprietary socket.

Using a standard CCS2 plugs without proprietary modifications is a cheaper long term plan, even if you have to retrofit old stalls and provide adaptors (or sell them) for the existing fleet. Tesla is playing the long game here and it's the right choice to get lower cost and public charginf compatibility.

I guess the real question will be if they make the same move in USA with CCS1 along with the upcoming hardware refresh.

Reactions: baillies