Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to order my Model 3, but unfortunately when I use my european reservation and switch the orderpage to Australia it removes my reservation number from the browser bar - if i just change the link to en_au it does not work. Presumably the order uses a seperate order and not the reservation number.

Can Tesla fuse the 2 orders or will I have to go through the wiffwaff of getting my 1000 euro back for the original reservation?

Edit: I have also noted RAC(Q) to be quite cheap for Teslas.

Last edited:
Just quoted about $900 from RAC. Smidgeon more than I was hoping (I worked out at around $750 when entering details for a Model S), however obviously a big improvement on some of the other insurance premiums I've seen in other threads.
$900? What excess is that? That’s a crazy low quote.

I got $1900. I’m in my 40s nil claims in 5 years, excess of $825 and windscreen and own repairer options only. Agreed valued to $95000.

I’ve never owned a car that my insurance here I’m Melbourne was less than $1200

$900? What excess is that? That’s a crazy low quote.

I got $1900. I’m in my 40s nil claims in 5 years, excess of $825 and windscreen and own repairer options only. Agreed valued to $95000.

I’ve never owned a car that my insurance here I’m Melbourne was less than $1200

That's with a $750 excess, no windscreen but will probably add it. Agreed value of $75,000 for the SR+. RAC are very kind to Tesla owners! I suppose given the bullshit amount of duty we have to pay over here, that at least insurance levels it out a bit.

I'm 33 and my wife is 32, both with clear history so full no claim bonus and we get a slight discount with her having had RAC membership for about 15 years.

I want to order my Model 3, but unfortunately when I use my european reservation and switch the orderpage to Australia it removes my reservation number from the browser bar - if i just change the link to en_au it does not work. Presumably the order uses a seperate order and not the reservation number.

Can Tesla fuse the 2 orders or will I have to go through the wiffwaff of getting my 1000 euro back for the original reservation?

Edit: I have also noted RAC(Q) to be quite cheap for Teslas.

Have you updated your address in your Tesla account? I have seen others with this issue OS IIRC Tesla will need to do something or just cancel and order as it may only make a few weeks difference anyway

Have you updated your address in your Tesla account? I have seen others with this issue OS IIRC Tesla will need to do something or just cancel and order as it may only make a few weeks difference anyway

yes i have and called them about it before. they werent sure, the assumption is that your reservation stays in whatever country you made the payment from.

I think I’ve realised there’s another difference for us down here, looking through the interior specs.. No internet browser as per other markets, what’s with this? The reason is, I was searching whether or not there was altitude on the sat screen - no apparently. People were using 3rd party apps to provide information like wind speed, altitude and compass. I thought that’d be fine, then I re-read the specs, no browser. Bummer... Maybe it’s another stupid rule we have here.

I think I’ve realised there’s another difference for us down here, looking through the interior specs.. No internet browser as per other markets, what’s with this? The reason is, I was searching whether or not there was altitude on the sat screen - no apparently. People were using 3rd party apps to provide information like wind speed, altitude and compass. I thought that’d be fine, then I re-read the specs, no browser. Bummer... Maybe it’s another stupid rule we have here.

yes indeed, it's some australian rule that movies and car browser are not allowed to work while the car is moving. Teslas always have left that to the owner rather than disabling them when the car is in drive they just disabled them permanently...

Possibly due to the fact that any internet browser does need an input from someone to 'browse'. Under, at least, NSW law this is illegal. The only time you are able to touch an internet enabled device is to immediately pass it to your passenger. Nothing more. Bluetooth enabled phone is fine... you are not touching it.

I can quote the legislation but it is not hard to find. The more interesting point is how fuzzy this has been become as technology outpaces legislation by orders of magnitude.