Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hhhmmm, I just took a stroll on Google street view along Port Botany.

While I am not sure if anyone can drive along these roads, the following is the closest you can get to Brotherson Dock 10, which is where the Cap Capricorn is meant to unload (red circle).

Not a bad view, if you can get there?

View attachment 440858
Alternatively, find out who manages and books the ANL container ship cabins and ask to do a cabin inspection.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1st in Line
There was trouble at Auckland waterfront last night. A mini tornado/waterspout. Wild weather
20 containers knocked over. Up to 5cm hail. Damage and injuries in the area. Am not kidding either. Too unbelievable to be true. I thought I was being trolled. Nope.

'Mini tornado' hits Auckland CBD, more storms on the way

Cap was due to leave soon. We’ll see I guess.

There was trouble at Auckland waterfront last night. A mini tornado/waterspout. Wild weather
20 containers knocked over. Up to 5cm hail. Damage and injuries in the area. Am not kidding either. Too unbelievable to be true. I thought I was being trolled. Nope.

Insane. The worst seems to have been at the other (west) end of the waterfront, though.

Cap now a meter higher in the water, so a few containers unloaded overnight. Hopefully, none of them ended up in the harbour.

Cap has left Auckland. Sydney due 12pm Friday. Indeed is 90cm less draught then when arrived.

7E042CA8-B23D-41FD-87AF-A5B03C173BF6.jpeg

1 meter is a lot for a container ship to NZ. Must have been some very heavy goods unloaded.
Agree. I make it ~4 m kg, which would be ~400 containers at 10000kg each (about what a container w/ 4x TM3s in would weigh). I would think most containers would be lighter, though I guess a few very heavy containers might skew things a lot.

I don't know how much they adjust their water ballast, though, which could but the displacement/cargo estimate way out.

Sorry, I did post this on another thread here on TMC, but I think while we are waiting for our Model 3s to arrive, this report makes for interesting reading .... and our Model 3s are a key driver for what is happening according to the report:

Wells, Wires and Wheels

It introduces an interesting concept of EROCI - not as sexy as it might sound at first reading - as it stands for "Energy Return on Capital Invested" in relation to mobility.

It is a long report, but the one page Introduction gives you the gist of it.

I cannot help but think of the following song when reading such a report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XSImbrJpUw

Hoping today is the day that things start to move forward. :( I'm becoming despondent.
Well, if it helps any, I read your post shortly after you posted it. At pretty much that exact moment, my iPhone started playing a track. The words it played to me: "Why are you in such a hurry? Is it really worth the worry? Look around. Then slow down..."

Coincidence? I think not...

• Love
Agree. I make it ~4 m kg, which would be ~400 containers at 10000kg each (about what a container w/ 4x TM3s in would weigh). I would think most containers would be lighter, though I guess a few very heavy containers might skew things a lot.

I don't know how much they adjust their water ballast, though, which could but the displacement/cargo estimate way out.

container can be up to 30 tons and even a 20 footer will weight 2 tons empty.

I'm assuming it would have had some cargo loaded as well as unloaded.

you know you are bored when...... you cant see anything wrong in calculating the weight differential of a cargo ship..

for the ship to be floating 1m higher in the water you would need a differential of 8,717,000 Kg based on the following

length of ship 228m, width of ship 37.3m and density of salt water 1,025kg/m3

• Informative
Reactions: freshmax