Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just recapitulating our collective knowledge with respect to the Cap Capricorn (I could have replaced the words "our collective" with the single word "Vedaprime's", but I did not want to hurt anyone's feelings).

Are we still thinking that it is more likely than not that the first batch of Model 3s will arrive on the Cap Capricorn?

Despite some comments suggesting that some Model 3s have been spotted here and there, I still think these might mostly be the press cars?

I did NOT get the impression that the Seoul Express delivered a significant number of cars - right?

Following a trip to the Blue Mountains yesterday, I am feeling a bit sick - though it could also be that my immune system is struggling to cope with the never ending excitement (sleepless nights, rapid pulse spike on reading some new snippet of news, etc) in relation to our imminent deliveries - so I am not sure whether or not I will be able to go out to Port Botany to witness the Cap Capricorn's arrival.

I would feel a bit silly if I went out there in the cold only to find out afterwards that the Model 3s had arrived on another ship - not that at my age I am too bothered about feeling a bit silly every now and then...

Anyway, what probability do we assign to the Cap Capricorn being IT?

Cap Capricorn - yes. On balance of the evidence and sources. The logistics side takes a while to sort out from the port (thanks Fantomass), and cars slip by us. plus this direct quote to the NZ customer +plus everything we know. Downside is this logistics process will take a couple of weeks.

I think Sydney has some sleepers ‘press’ cars just spotted now as well as the Auckland ones I just mentioned. All from the press batch.
Seoul did not have any. It doesn’t match with any known vin ranges. The dates don’t work.

Is Cap Capricorn worth watching arrive? If you think it makes you feel better, and see the pivotal moment Australia transformed into an EV economy - well at least a sense of ‘I was there’. Sure go for it. It just a ship though. You won’t see any 3’s. I’d go if I could just for the stalker bragging rights. We’ve been tracking this ship for so damn long, a picture would be good. Note. The arrival time is at the Botany anchorage when the pilot and tugs meet it, not the berthing time.

If this is true, it is pretty clear Cap Capricorn is the first load
A colleague at work has recently advised me they have a source in the shipping industry. According to them, Cap Capricorn has the first load of cars, 500 of them (not sure if 500 for Australia or for Australia and NZ.) This contact also said every following container ship on the same route is carrying another 500 cars.

Awesome. Is it the Red with White Interior?
20190815_144513.jpg

Attachments

• 20190815_144513.jpg
    20190815_144513.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 70
A colleague at work has recently advised me they have a source in the shipping industry. According to them, Cap Capricorn has the first load of cars, 500 of them (not sure if 500 for Australia or for Australia and NZ.) This contact also said every following container ship on the same route is carrying another 500 cars.

Awesome information

There is a lot of things aligning now with the original information, sources, vins, website changes, even employee information in the last few days.

I've looked through but couldn't see it. Can someone confirm how their financing went down. I selected tesla organised. Then macqaurie. I got an email today from Them, filled out the forms, but nowhere did it ask how much I need. Is this somehow linked to tesla. Having said that I planned to pay more upfront. Or is it just a pre approval upto x amount and then tesla takes over.
I would call but I'm overseas and the timezone isn't ideal

Vins

The vin range has been getting wider.

July 7 vin reg batch - starts with 4432xx - 4440xx is the current range of vins I have for the first batch - there may be gaps, and more unreported.
Ship - Cap Capricorn Aug 16, up to 2 week logistics, deliveries end of August. (Brisbane - early Sept, Melbourne - no info)

August 1 - vin reg batch - 488xxx, 489xxx, 499xxx,
Ship - ANL - Warrnambool. Due Sydney Sep 6, 2 week logistics, deliveries Sept 20ish
These could also be a temporary vin. Reason being NZ had these like super close after vin reg. But the longer this goes on, the more likely this seems to be the range.

August 11 batch - 1 report of 517xxx. Not even on a ship. Assuming trmporary vin

Now if latest info of 500 per ship, for every ship coming is true, then really this doesn’t matter. It would mean Kota Ekspres Aug 23 Sydney, Brotonne Bridge Aug 30 Sydney all have them and a bit more spread out. I still see Brotonne as likely given its 2 day load time in Oakland. This is a long time in port for this shipping route.

And ironically, I don’t have a vin. I’ve been vin searching for f.. ages.

Cap Capricorn - yes. On balance of the evidence and sources. The logistics side takes a while to sort out from the port (thanks Fantomass), and cars slip by us. plus this direct quote to the NZ customer +plus everything we know. Downside is this logistics process will take a couple of weeks.

I think Sydney has some sleepers ‘press’ cars just spotted now as well as the Auckland ones I just mentioned. All from the press batch.
Seoul did not have any. It doesn’t match with any known vin ranges. The dates don’t work.

Is Cap Capricorn worth watching arrive? If you think it makes you feel better, and see the pivotal moment Australia transformed into an EV economy - well at least a sense of ‘I was there’. Sure go for it. It just a ship though. You won’t see any 3’s. I’d go if I could just for the stalker bragging rights. We’ve been tracking this ship for so damn long, a picture would be good. Note. The arrival time is at the Botany anchorage when the pilot and tugs meet it, not the berthing time.

Thanks Veda!

If I manage to peel myself out of bed, I will try to get there tomorrow morning.

Not sure if I can post pictures while I am out there, but iff I get there I promise to post a link with pictures upon my return back home later in the afternoon.

Some pictures of the Cap Capricorn arriving in OZ would make some nice garage wall-art together with the following picture I just picked up this afternoon (wasn't my idea to get this framed, so bragging rights for that idea go to someone else. I liked the idea though).

IMG_3701.jpg

Thanks again for your good work!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
Vins

The vin range has been getting wider.

July 7 vin reg batch - starts with 4432xx - 4440xx is the current range of vins I have for the first batch - there may be gaps, and more unreported.
Ship - Cap Capricorn Aug 16, up to 2 week logistics, deliveries end of August. (Brisbane - early Sept, Melbourne - no info)

August 1 - vin reg batch - 488xxx, 489xxx, 499xxx,
Ship - ANL - Warrnambool. Due Sydney Sep 6, 2 week logistics, deliveries Sept 20ish
These could also be a temporary vin. Reason being NZ had these like super close after vin reg. But the longer this goes on, the more likely this seems to be the range.

August 11 batch - 1 report of 517xxx. Not even on a ship. Assuming trmporary vin

Now if latest info of 500 per ship, for every ship coming is true, then really this doesn’t matter. It would mean Kota Ekspres Aug 23 Sydney, Brotonne Bridge Aug 30 Sydney all have them and a bit more spread out. I still see Brotonne as likely given its 2 day load time in Oakland. This is a long time in port for this shipping route.

And ironically, I don’t have a vin. I’ve been vin searching for f.. ages.

Bummer, I have a 488xxx VIN :(

Never paid much attention to the VIN issue until just now...

Won't change me trying to get to see the Cap Capricorn arrive though!

I guess it would be consistent with what Tesla has said right from the beginning - i.e. employees and Model S & X owners will get priority (i.e. 4432xx - 4440xx?) and then according to time of registration, with an overlay for higher priced configurations.

I guess it would be consistent with what Tesla has said right from the beginning - i.e. employees and Model S & X owners will get priority (i.e. 4432xx - 4440xx?) and then according to time of registration, with an overlay for higher priced configurations.

I am not an employee or current owner, but first day reservation and got a 4440xx VIN, so might just be lucky.

Tesla model 3 NZ owners Facebook group

Adam Chen: 15/08/19
I rang Tesla today to get the driver’s licence details corrected. Carly on the other end of the phone told me that as far as Tesla Auckland is concerned, they haven’t got any of the model 3’s yet (for customers)..... I wasn’t sure how to interpreted that information.... Can anyone shed light into the matter?

Nilesh Govond: 15/08/19
Just rang tesla to correct details. Said they'll be reaching out to customers soon depending on which container their car is in.

Comon Telsa stop torturing us poor old Kiwis we're endangered don't you know.
Did Cap Capricorn only drop a few M3's for NZ, none at all, all bound for Au
Were they blown into the harbour

A little boy waits ....for a VIN

Bummer, I have a 488xxx VIN :(

Never paid much attention to the VIN issue until just now...

Won't change me trying to get to see the Cap Capricorn arrive though!

Wait a sec... Aussies are beginning to see VINs in the source of their Tesla order pages? I checked mine and found nothing :( But the page has been updated to show a new 'Update Autopilot', when I click it I see this.

upload_2019-8-15_21-24-24.png

Which is interesting because I purchased FSD when it was $7,100. Then when they gave me a discount because the white paint became free they updated my order agreement and bumped up my FSD to $8,500. I've emailed Tesla to let them know and ask them to fix it.

Still no VIN in the source though :(

to help ease the VINless, I think more definitive information needs to be gathered
to see if there is a pattern to VIN assignment

Tesla owner: No
Reservation holder: No
Order date: 3/06/19
Order changed: Hell no
Cash/Finance: cash
Trade in: yes
Variant P3 SR etc : P3 FSD
VIN: Nooooo!
Constantly checking: YES!

Hopefully in a few weeks we can all look back on this and wonder why the hell
so much time, sleepless nights, new keyboards (F5 worn out), was wasted by so many on so few M3's

Last edited:
Tbh. Just want to call a spade for what it is.

Tesla could easily have clarified their intentions about who when and where. They have known exactly what they were doing for weeks. This is not the local staff. But it is 3.5 years for many. They have provided appalling communications for ppl who have put up cash on faith and still don't know whether to go to bali. Seriously.

Tbh. Just want to call a spade for what it is.

Tesla could easily have clarified their intentions about who when and where. They have known exactly what they were doing for weeks. This is not the local staff. But it is 3.5 years for many. They have provided appalling communications for ppl who have put up cash on faith and still don't know whether to go to bali. Seriously.
never been to Bali but looking forward to it on the 2nd Sept. Tesla or No Tesla. Winter is coming