Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've ordered one and it was supposed to ship about 10 days ago. Got an email this week saying that the first batch (not my order number) had some minor cabling issues which were fixed. New shipping date for orders is August 26 onwards.

At least they're clearer with timelines than Tesla is................................................................................. hahahahahahaha :(
Same ordered one too. Same email. Expensive. Is the only accessry I have bought. Not sure whether car or this will arrive first

Ok got my invoice today and VIN on it matches hidden one.
Delivery for week beginning 16th September, woohoo .
Now just need one of the first SR deliveries to confirm if comes with floor mats or not.

No floor mats, 100% sure (in June, the local delivery centres got a reprimand from corporate for delivering the first batch with floor mats and running out of them for the Premium Interior deliveries). Not that it's a problem: you can get much better floor mats somewhere else, actually. Once mine are threadbare I'm not going to buy the replacements from Tesla ;-).

Reactions: Dakah3
They can’t be Cap with that range. Am crunching it all now... this looks like Kota or Brotonne ranges
I have my VIN too:5YJ3F7EB3KF4434XX and my invoice. Delivery to Perth September 16 or thereabouts. Original reservation date 29 May 2016. I made an order change from black to pearl white as soon as configurator changed to allow pearl white as base colour.

Yay!

Reactions: Jays200
They can’t be Cap with that range. Am crunching it all now... this looks like Kota or Brotonne ranges
Booo!
But also, thanks for trying to figure all this out. Looks like I’m not the only with a 4491XX VIN today, there have been a few others on here and Facebook. If you’re able to do the maths and predict a ship that would be great.

Edit: I had a look at @model3VINs and it looks like the range I have was registered 13 July. Not sure how that translates into build date or ship date???

Last edited:
I think no one at Tesla is going to mind if we vent a little frustration on this forum. Very different story if anyone behaves untoward toward their staff. Please don't shoot the messengers!
Tesla dont mind anyone venting in this forum. They just shove your order to the back of the que which greatly reduces their delivery pressure.

I've crunched some numbers based on the VIN spreadsheet by Random206

AU/NZ Model 3 Orders

Summary:
At the moment about half of the people have a VIN of some sort (hidden or otherwise). Only a select few (8) have a confirmed VIN.

SR+ is by far the most popular (approx 50% of orders), followed by a half and half mix of P+ and P-.

There doesn't appear to be a strong correlation between when you reserved and if you have a VIN. As a group, those who reserved on day 1 have the largest proportion with a VIN (71% have VINs) but after that the number of people with VINs and without VINs are similar for each year (rest of 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019). In fact there are just as many people who have a VIN even though they had no reservation versus those who who reserved in the rest of 2016.

There is a strong correlation between those who have VINs and which model. People who ordered are P3- by far are the most likely to have a VIN (83% of P3- orders have VINs, SR+ is 50/50 whilst P3+ is only 30%). This would make sense since P3- is discontinued so any P3- which have been built must be sold. I suspect that this is the most important deciding factor for Tesla when assigning vehicles due to this limiation. As a proportion, SR+ orders are much more likely to have gotten a VIN compared to P+. This suggests that AU/NZ are probably just getting the same mix of cars as the rest of the world. It doesn't appear that Tesla are prioritising the highest ASP model even though this is the first launch.

While playing around with the VIN sheet, it looks like people that have just ordered (no rev) and have custom plates aren't getting much love from Tesla. I can see a few people with orders after me with no custom plates have VIN's and pick up dates.
Can sort of understand that as you have to drop off the plates before pickup.

While playing around with the VIN sheet, it looks like people that have just ordered (no rev) and have custom plates aren't getting much love from Tesla. I can see a few people with orders after me with no custom plates have VIN's and pick up dates.
Can sort of understand that as you have to drop off the plates before pickup.
I asked the TESLA delivery rep about personalised plates but as its Perth he said that was not possible and it is just easier to register with standard plates and go swap at the licensing office where the personal plates are held

Reactions: Techno-phile