Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AAMI have unlimited car hire for at fault (unless I read my current policy wrong) for not much more cost
so has RACV, for car hire at at-fault.

Jury is still out for me on AAMI. I have to call them when i get the ETA to my car. They don't have performance listed online, only LR dual motor that can go up to $110,500 in the agreed cover value. Which kind of works out the same premium as RACV for the performance with same excess + agreed cover value. but RACV has not-at-fault and theft car hire as standard (and road side assistance as a bonus). So seems to be more bang for the bucks at the moment.

I still have to call more companies though before deciding.

PS btw, I am proud of my driving record. So I think not-at-fault car hire would be quite enough.

Maybe, if you credit the hype. Though it's yet to be demonstrated and the Model 3 is a very good car quite aside from any of that. I don't intend on using any of the automation functions; spoils all the fun. :)

ML/data science is also a different discipline from web/mobile app development. I just don't see an automatic link between building cars, even sophisticated, highly automated, software-driven cars and having any particular level of skill at web and mobile UX.

I don't have a problem with the argument that their website/app could be better:)

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I just had an email response from the sales team answering my enquiry about a rough delivery date for my SR+ in MSM, ordered on 3rd Sep 2019. They said it would be mid-October, which puts it roughly 6 weeks from order to delivery.

It sounds like they're pushing through most/all of the original reservations soon if mine is getting targeted for that date.

Hang in there!

It sounds like they're pushing through most/all of the original reservations soon if mine is getting targeted for that date.

Hang in there!
it would be safe to assume that if they bought SR+,P- or, lately, even white interior. They seem to be more available. I don't lately see many people reporting that they get P3D+ ... unless they are white interior.

We're probably not forgotten but they probably just run out of inventory here in Australia. based on the spreadsheet, quite a handful of us do not even get any VIN.

But I will still hang in there. Probably stir a bit when the time comes.

I just had an email response from the sales team answering my enquiry about a rough delivery date for my SR+ in MSM, ordered on 3rd Sep 2019. They said it would be mid-October, which puts it roughly 6 weeks from order to delivery.

Hang in there!
That is same as my config (SR+ with MSM). I had a reservation from Jan 2018 and put my order in on 26th August and have delivery scheduled for 30 Sept, so 5 weeks from order to delivery for me. Looks like Brisbane is well supplied with the SR+ models and has a reasonably fast order to delivery currently.
Could be some surplus SR+ models because of people upgrading or modifying their orders.

Reactions: HighlyCharged
If you are prepared to wait until 2023, as that's the earliest it will be here. By then the model 3 will have changed quite a bit too.
My advice is go for a test drive in a model 3...most likely you'll be putting an order in, as it is an entirely different driving experience to a Golf. The other consideration is, do you want to support a car company that has lied to buyers about emissions and tried to hide it?

I DO drive a VW now! Yep, they lied. Yep, they got caught, Yep, they're paying for it. They make bloody good cars though, for the money nothing compares. Fairly sure EVERY corporation (Tesla incl) has corporate failure of some sort on the way - acknowledging VWs WAS huge.

Reactions: stedes
I DO drive a VW now! Yep, they lied. Yep, they got caught, Yep, they're paying for it. They make bloody good cars though, for the money nothing compares. Fairly sure EVERY corporation (Tesla incl) has corporate failure of some sort on the way - acknowledging VWs WAS huge.
In corporate failures… Teslas has mostly been in advertising timelines that may have been slightly more optimistic than reality.

• Funny
Reactions: stuartl and Anubis
I'm not excusing Tesla's comms and delivery shambles, but I don't agree with you. Once you get your car and drive it, you will think it is the greatest car ever and in a month's time you'll be singing the virtues of Tesla. Once this initial delivery tsunami is over, deliveries will return to a more normal level, and there won't be the issues you are experiencing, so for future buyers (and I'd say anytime after the next 4 weeks) the "but..." is irrelevant.
I can't agree with that assessment.

Will I be singing the praises of the car? Probably. But those communications problems - the complete lack of information about what's happening and when I can reasonably expect to receive my vehicle - will linger in memory for a very long time. I can't speak for anybody else, but from my perspective, I cannot in good conscience recommend Tesla to anybody - whether it be for the cars, the solar roof, the Powerwall, or some other product to be produced in the future - without mentioning the issues I've had along the way.

Maybe those issues will diminish after the initial delivery rush. But I won't know about that. My experience is based upon what they're doing right now, not what they might do in the future; and I can only inform potential customers about my experience. Not some hopeful "Maybe they've improved since then, I dunno." I cannot and will not cover up for failings in their processes, especially when those failings appear to be endemic. Hell, there's one guy in the Facebook groups talking about possibly organising a chargeback rather than continuing with trying (and failing!) to get in touch with somebody, anybody, to find out what's happening with his now three month old refund request. All of this adds up to me basically saying, "Look, if you like the idea of a car, go ahead and order one; just be aware of these likely issues." This is not what a startup trying to break into the mass market wants a potential evangelist to be saying - and somebody who puts a reservation deposit down on the vehicle the moment that becomes possible is most definitely a potential evangelist.

It also doesn't encourage repeat business - if down the road I decide to replace the Model 3 (or even buy a second EV), and there are alternative options from the 'more established' brands, the probability is high that I'll skip the Tesla for something else if it will do what I need it to do. Hence my comment about them shooting themselves in the foot. These bad perceptions do not go away quickly, nor easily - it's much easier to avoid them in the first place. Too late now ...

Will I be singing the praises of the car? Probably. But those communications problems - the complete lack of information about what's happening and when I can reasonably expect to receive my vehicle - will linger in memory for a very long time. I can't speak for anybody else, but from my perspective, I cannot in good conscience recommend Tesla to anybody - whether it be for the cars, the solar roof, the Powerwall, or some other product to be produced in the future - without mentioning the issues I've had along the way.

Maybe those issues will diminish after the initial delivery rush. But I won't know about that. My experience is based upon what they're doing right now, not what they might do in the future; and I can only inform potential customers about my experience. Not some hopeful "Maybe they've improved since then, I dunno." I cannot and will not cover up for failings in their processes, especially when those failings appear to be endemic. Hell, there's one guy in the Facebook groups talking about possibly organising a chargeback rather than continuing with trying (and failing!) to get in touch with somebody, anybody, to find out what's happening with his now three month old refund request. All of this adds up to me basically saying, "Look, if you like the idea of a car, go ahead and order one; just be aware of these likely issues." This is not what a startup trying to break into the mass market wants a potential evangelist to be saying - and somebody who puts a reservation deposit down on the vehicle the moment that becomes possible is most definitely a potential evangelist.

It also doesn't encourage repeat business - if down the road I decide to replace the Model 3 (or even buy a second EV), and there are alternative options from the 'more established' brands, the probability is high that I'll skip the Tesla for something else if it will do what I need it to do. Hence my comment about them shooting themselves in the foot. These bad perceptions do not go away quickly, nor easily - it's much easier to avoid them in the first place. Too late now ...

Spot on. Similar message to my previous post. I hope I will love the car, but that won’t change my experience between placing my order and receiving my car. That has been simply atrocious. I was a potential evangelist (maybe was one) but I am not anymore. Any recommendations will come with caveats around the delivery experience.

I suspect your experience with Tesla depends somewhat in where your location is and which Tesla shop deals with you. You appear to be from Melbourne and most reports from there appear to say the communication is non existent or abysmal and the experience is lacking. I am in Gold Coast and dealing with Brisbane office has been rather pleasant so far. I have not had to chase them on anything yet. They have been calling and contacting me with information and updates and it appears I might be getting my car only 5 weeks after I placed the order (if they stick to their delivery appointment they have given me.) So far I have nothing to complain about my experience with them. I suspect there may be some locations that are more overwhelmed than others. Much of the complaints that I have seen come from a select few people, so I suspect in overall experience over 90% of the customers are not having as bad an experience as you are having. Tesla has so far over half a million customers across the world and if there are a few thousand loud ones on the internet complaining it would make it appear that the experience is horrible, where there are many times more people happy with their experience but just not as loud about it. So I would like to add my voice to the happy customer bucket so far :)

Roddy54 they didn't admit to it, they hid the software tampering a second time. I have a VW Touareg and my partner a VW Multivan, I had a CC before this. All three were new from purchase all three less than 4 years old have broken down or had major faults. Oil leak on the Treg, Gear box issue with multi van and battery died after one year on the CC. The wipers on the Treg are failing, the side mirrors no longer fold and the hill hold will need replacing. I will not buy another VW, I am waiting on the Pick up reveal and then making a decision. There are forums listing the many many issues with VW and they are also bastards to deal with getting things fixed under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: adee and WoodWombat
I suspect your experience with Tesla depends somewhat in where your location is and which Tesla shop deals with you. You appear to be from Melbourne and most reports from there appear to say the communication is non existent or abysmal and the experience is lacking. I am in Gold Coast and dealing with Brisbane office has been rather pleasant so far. I have not had to chase them on anything yet. They have been calling and contacting me with information and updates and it appears I might be getting my car only 5 weeks after I placed the order (if they stick to their delivery appointment they have given me.) So far I have nothing to complain about my experience with them. I suspect there may be some locations that are more overwhelmed than others. Much of the complaints that I have seen come from a select few people, so I suspect in overall experience over 90% of the customers are not having as bad an experience as you are having. Tesla has so far over half a million customers across the world and if there are a few thousand loud ones on the internet complaining it would make it appear that the experience is horrible, where there are many times more people happy with their experience but just not as loud about it. So I would like to add my voice to the happy customer bucket so far :)
Great experience in Sydney also, just over 4 weeks from order to collection and excellent communication throughout.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Firstly, congrats on the car. I am currently weighing up whether to buy or not, so have just found this site and registered. YOU ALL make me somewhat jealous. AS a VW Golf owner (current model with drivers assist) I am looking to the future and quite like the M3 Tesla. My dilemma? Should I wait to see the VW ID3?

But then I read the above quote from TH232. Honestly, I can't believe how unconcerned you appear to be about these "minor defects"...on a car costing north of $70k on the road this is just plainly unacceptable.

I would be interested to know what would have happened had you declined to take the car, as I most assuredly would have not done so.
Hi Roddy54, I don't think I had much of a choice to take the car or not, a third party transport guy turned up, drove it off the truck, handed me the key cards, made me sign his delivery doc and drove off. It all took less than 5 min. In that time I had a quick look at the car and didn't notice these small defects. It looked pretty damm good to me and I'm extremely sure Tesla will make good any issues. It was only after an hour or so with all the neighbours and bunches of eyes coming to check it out that we spotted these small defects, and they are small. I'm no real car expert but in my experience all these issues are easy fixes..most of them I could do myself but of course I will get Tesla to sort it. If Tesla doesn't sort them out I will report back. To be fair, I'm not really hung up about the looks, more whats under the bonnet...and trust me, once you put that accelerator down you won't be worrying about minor paint chips...it handles like a go cart. I took my brand new VW camper van on first day bush bashing and loaded it with pin stripes and dents...that way I don't stress if the kids bash it with their bikes or whatever. I can assure you no once messes with our previous beaten up Subaru. If it wasn't for the wife I do the same with the Tesla. I understand everyone is different....my neighbour has kittens if his car goes out in the rain. As far as waiting for VW versus Tesla, my call is go with Tesla as they are a solid 10 years ahead of everyone and the VW I would expect will have a bunch of growing pains so would think it will take them quite a few years to catch up..if they ever do. What other car has a 'fart' mode and many other cool stuff...its the first time I've played lunar lander again in 40 years. If you can make it to Mosman park Mens shed today between 3-4 I'll take you for a spin and you'll be convinced.

Hey guys scheduled to pick up in Richmond... I was scheduled to pick up mine tomorrow in Richmond.

I received a call from Tesla today... and was thinking a delay of my delivery again.

Surprisingly, they told me I can pick up the car anytime today and I did!

After I took it home, I realised my comprehensive car insurance starts tomorrow!

The car is great as others mentioned before and I don't waste your bandwidth here.

My experience with the Brisbane delivery team has been the opposite. I emailed them for an update 9 days ago, other than the auto-reply I've not seen/heard a word from them.